Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cracked My Screen

I managed to drop my Hero down a flight of steps after partying a little too hard and cracked the hell out of my screen. I don't have $100 to use my insurance so I am thinking about replacing the screen myself. Has anyone replaced their own screen before?

I plan on buying this replacement screen off of eBay..
    for SPRINT Ver HTC G3 Hero Replacement LCD Touch Screen - eBay (item 290500961070 end time Dec-15-10 23:10:47 PST)

This video makes it seem pretty easy to replace your screen..
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I've tried this on 3 different phones, and as easy as they make it look, that part at 3 minutes in is where I always have trouble. Specifically with the adhesive part. When you put the new glass on what do you use for new adhesive? They don't include it with the screen typically, and they offer no information on what to use. Also, if you're OCD about dust, you'll almost certainly get some dust on the LCD prior to reassembly. It's almost impossible to avoid that. Just some things to consider based on my experience.

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    I've tried this on 3 different phones, and as easy as they make it look, that part at 3 minutes in is where I always have trouble. Specifically with the adhesive part. When you put the new glass on what do you use for new adhesive? They don't include it with the screen typically, and they offer no information on what to use. Also, if you're OCD about dust, you'll almost certainly get some dust on the LCD prior to reassembly. It's almost impossible to avoid that. Just some things to consider based on my experience.
    the best way to help avoid the dust under the screen or on the lcd is with the canned air i use it every time i do a screen repalcement

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

If you have insurance then take it to a repair center and they should be able to take care of you.They(Sprint) has changed how they handle certain things lately and one of them is screen repair.Take it in and let them have a look probably take a day or two for them to get a screen.

Did this to my Evo, here's the thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...vo-screen.html

As a quick summary:

- Sprint will repair the screen for $35 if you don't carry insurance, BUT they take no liability if the phone breaks during the repair process. That's what I was told over the phone anyway. You might check with your local repair center.

- I wound up getting mine fixed at UDRepairs (Cell Phone Repair in Lincolnshire, Northbrook, Chicago, IL 60069 | Repair Cellphones - Unlock phone). It cost $130. I am not all that comfortable fixing electronics so it was worth it to me. They are NW of Chicago, IL.

PS: Sprint lowered the price to $35 within a couple days of me going to UDRepairs. Not sure if UD has lowered their price in response...

PPS: This info. is of course for the Evo. Similar info. hopefully applies to your Hero.
    Nepoint 1000 -> Kyocera 6035 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC Mogul -> Treo 800 -> Treo Pro -> HTC Hero -> HTC Evo