1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Default Wife's in Sub-Saharan Africa

So we wake up this morning and my wife's hero says it's in Luanda, Angola. Instead of Northern California like it should be. Everything! The weather app, the clock and google latitude. I personally find it hilarious, so I thought I would share and see if anyone else's Hero has randomly put them in some other country

Ha! Yeah, mine did that a few times. I live just outside of Indianapolis, but my phone insisted I was in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. I've only had this issue with Sense roms, though.

-----
    Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo-on-Hero action here!
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.

Are you connected to wifi? Or an airrave? In my apartment with wifi and an airrave it gives me the correct state, but shows two different cities, one about 15 miles away and the other 20 or 30 miles away. I live in Concord, MA, and it used to show Concord, CA anywhere in town (that was fixed with the 2.1 upgrade). Pretty different weather there! At least the others aren't too different.

Nope, I wasn't on either. I was at work. That was the only place that it would go bonkers at.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo-on-Hero action here!
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.

Quote Originally Posted by cpark1967 View Post
    So we wake up this morning and my wife's hero says it's in Luanda, Angola. Instead of Northern California like it should be. Everything! The weather app, the clock and google latitude. I personally find it hilarious, so I thought I would share and see if anyone else's Hero has randomly put them in some other country
    I've had this issue with an iphone as well in a couple places:

At London Heathrow airport it thought I was on the south coast of Spain
    In a hotel in the Podol district of Kiev, Ukraine it thought I was in Prague, Czech Republic.
    In Sharm el-Sheik, Egypt it thought I was in Austin, Texas
    and finally in Portland, Oregon at one spot it thought I was in Seattle

The example in Kiev is the most interesting because it's persisted for more than a year now and across multiple devices - I have a camera with a Eye-Fi SD card which is a device that adds geotagging to the photos you've taken with a camera with that card in it - both the iphone and photos taken with that card both locate me in Prague. I think that's because inside the hotel there's only one wifi signal received and I suspect that wifi access point got moved from prague originally and no one has mapped Kiev yet, and on the iphone the wifi location seems to override GPS location for some reason.