Hero getting more sluggish

gmichie

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Has anybody else noticed their Hero getting quite a bit more sluggish and laggy of late? I've had mine since the weekend it came out, and while there's always been a little lag here and there, I've noticed it much more lately: programs slower to open, emails loading more slowly, less responsive all around. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me? And what can I do to address/remedy it?

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I was beginning to think it was just me. :)

Although I do have mine loaded up with oodles of apps. But cant find out why its dragging. Sometimes its unbearable when typing.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. Mostly with the keyboard, thought it was just me.

I have 104mb available so it's not like I'm loaded down on apps.

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Same here. Mine likes to lag REAL bad when a call or text is about to come in... real annoying when I'm in the middle of typing >.<

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Location services bug on Android 1.5.
Every day, open your settings and uncheck ALL location services for 30 seconds. Tick them back on.

The hack that fixed this on GSM phones doesn't work on our CDMA devices. Google, HTC and Sprint all recognize this bug, so nobody is sweeping it under the carpet. People are seeing it more now because they are rebooting their phones less and aren't downloading app after app playing any longer :)

Toggling the location services will release the processor and things will speed back up. I'm not seeing this issue at all in 1.6 so I'll have to agree with the 'official' statement that the bug was fixed in Donut.

gmichie

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear it's not just me, but troublesome nonetheless. Thanks for the tip, gbhil -- I just did what you advised, though "Location setting" was the only one I had toggled on. I hope it helps.

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Location services bug on Android 1.5.
Every day, open your settings and uncheck ALL location services for 30 seconds. Tick them back on.

The hack that fixed this on GSM phones doesn't work on our CDMA devices. Google, HTC and Sprint all recognize this bug, so nobody is sweeping it under the carpet. People are seeing it more now because they are rebooting their phones less and aren't downloading app after app playing any longer :)

Toggling the location services will release the processor and things will speed back up. I'm not seeing this issue at all in 1.6 so I'll have to agree with the 'official' statement that the bug was fixed in Donut.

Wow that actually seemed to work pretty good on my phone.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I read an article once (looked all over and i cant find it again, sorry) but basically the guy who wrote it gave a step by step on how to speed up Android. I remember the steps so i do them every once in a while and my Hero hasn't skipped a beat.

He suggested doing the following once a week:
1) By now you should have your "core" apps. When you try a new one and realize you'll never use it again after that initial 5 minutes, delete it. Make this a habit.
2) Delete any downloaded apps you don't use.
3) Clear all SMS and MMS messages. Try not to let your threads build too large.
4) Delete any unnecessary emails
5) Clear cookies, cache, and history in browser
6) Reboot phone.

I know this all seems like common sense type things but I'm sure it's similar to cleaning up your PC. Also this will only do so much for you. If lagging or sluggishness is a defect of the OS these steps won't correct that at all but they might prevent the situation from being magnified.

That's my 2 cents anyway

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow that actually seemed to work pretty good on my phone.

LOL. If you've had location services on without rebooting for a while I bet it did. The bug will allow location services to use up to 99% of the processor full time...awake or asleep. Glad it helped.

husker723#AC

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
What did it for me was uninstalling handcent. As much as I liked this app it was slow and pokey. I finally got rid of it and my phone has been humming since. Maybe a coincidence but it worked.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
What did it for me was uninstalling handcent. As much as I liked this app it was slow and pokey. I finally got rid of it and my phone has been humming since. Maybe a coincidence but it worked.

handcent updated several performance issues and runs smoothly now. :)

andyjbmiller

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Sense UI seems to be cause of sluggishness

I found that when i disabled HTC Sense UI that my hero became more responsive. The keyboard and regular tasks became fluid instead of having that small lag. If you disable HTC Sense you can turn it back on. To disable, from the home screen hit menu > settings > applications > let applications load > htc sense > clear defaults.If you disable sense, non of the HTC Sense widgets will work. Your phone will have the core android operating system, similar to a mytouch 3g. I did not use a lot of widgets so it doesn't bother me to disable them. The htc keyboard and some things still work. I just found that this speeds up certain operations to the phone. To switch the phone back to normal

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12