Gmail not very functional??

sfox

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm absolutely sure I'm missing something....but, why can't I create a phone contact directly from gmail? I can do this out of the mail app, but not the gmail app. This and the extremely round about way of copying text from the gmail app makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong or is there a flaw in the integration of what you'd think would be inherent functionality in a google OS?

Should I just set up my gmail as another email account in the mail app?

I'm sure this has been discussed, but it just seems there is something missing here.

Seth

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I think it is because you are able to set up a Google contact inside of the phones contacts. If you go to people, tap add contact, the section under contact type can be changed from exchange, Google, or phone. I just add them as a Google contact everytime and it will sync with Google pretty quickly. I think there is a way to manually sync it as well but not sure exactly how.

gmichie

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion the Gmail app is awful -- not much customization, not much added functionality. Shouldn't Gmail on a Google phone be an exceelent experience? Gmail was better on my Blackberry.

poproks

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
a problem i have with gmail is that i can only download certain files to my phone and only view other types. -stupid phone or stupid me?- i too came over from a BB and i miss that feature since i can't transfer a file via bluetooth on my hero. -also lame-

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
According to the Bluetooth Transfer app, file transfer is available on 2.0+. How long before we get the update? Who knows, but its coming sometime.

husker723#AC

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Here's a question I would love to have an answer to. I have a distribution list set up in Gmail. However, if I want to actually send an email to the group, I have to select them from the mail widget, not the gmail. I have a pop email and an exchange set up in mail. I also have me gmail set up under the gmail widget. So, I can't send a group email from gmail, just the pop or exchange account. Adding my gmail into the mail is annoying because I get duplicate emails...one in mail, and one in the gmail widget. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Although I like the gmail app, I would like to just disable it and keep all three emails in the mail widget. Thanks.

TuffDadSF

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I took all my pop email accounts and made them go to my gmail inbox on the computer. Then I set up gmail in the mail program so now i get everything in one mailbox on my phone.

husker723#AC

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I took all my pop email accounts and made them go to my gmail inbox on the computer. Then I set up gmail in the mail program so now i get everything in one mailbox on my phone.

Do you mean you are forwarding them to gmail and opening them all up under the red and white gmail envelope on the phone? Thanks.