Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Reduce the Call Ring Lag on Your Hero

I just figured this out today -
    Rooted Sprint Hero (without "with Google" on back)
    8GB SDHC Class 6
    1.2.9 recovery image
    Nexus Boot Screen
    Fresh ROM 1.1

-My Sprint Hero Blog
    Thanked by:

This is actually true. And the solution works. Mine start ringing after 1 now.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Yay. Worked for me too. Thanks!

okay I'm super excited to try this! My phone has been known to ring on my end AFTER 3 rings on the other end :/

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Default Cool

Yep it works!!

Thanks for the great tip.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Added to the FAQ. Thanks.

Just did it but haven't received a call since so will see.

hmmmm don't want to be a negative weed in everyone's positive garden but .... I go through device self service usually once a week checking for PRL and firmware, just hoping to get a new surprise (point being my PRL is always up to date). And i keep the roaming alert off, why the hell do i care i have unlimited roaming. I still have the delayed ring problem.

My admin assistant called me the other day and said she figured she was going to voicemail because it had rang so many times before i picked up. By the way i was sitting on my couch with full EVDO Rev-A coverage.

I sure hope it works for everyone and I'm a one-off but that certainly is not the fix for my delayed ringing.

Did as described and it takes 2 rings for me.

Default cellular south

This doesn't seem to work on cellular south. there is no option to renew pri or anything else for that matter. ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by profiler View Post
    This doesn't seem to work on cellular south. there is no option to renew pri or anything else for that matter. ideas?
    Did you check ... settings / about phone / system updates / update PRL (may say preferred roaming list) ?

I have a Sprint Hero but that's where you should be able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Did you check ... settings / about phone / system updates / update PRL (may say preferred roaming list) ?

I have a Sprint Hero but that's where you should be able to find it.
    I can get to "settings", "about phone", and it gives descriptions of all but there is no toggle for System updates. Strange.

I can get to "settings", "about phone", and it gives descriptions of all but there is no toggle for System updates. Strange.
    Well I live in NY so I cant get my hands on a Cell South Hero to dig around on but I recommend calling Cell South support and asking. I did a google search which yeileded no usefull results. Sorry.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

you mean you don't have this?
    8GB SDHC Class 6
    1.2.9 recovery image
    Nexus Boot Screen
    Fresh ROM 1.1

-My Sprint Hero Blog
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Ginbill View Post
    Yay. Worked for me too. Thanks!
    you're welcome!
    8GB SDHC Class 6
    1.2.9 recovery image
    Nexus Boot Screen
    Fresh ROM 1.1

-My Sprint Hero Blog

I too have a Hero from Cellular South. It does not have the System Update option. It will not let you update the PRI.

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Well I live in NY so I cant get my hands on a Cell South Hero to dig around on but I recommend calling Cell South support and asking. I did a google search which yeileded no usefull results. Sorry.
    I talked with two different Cellular South reps. they didn't know anything about the System update/ PRI update option.

Hmmmm well ... well i know Cellular South has a roaming agreement with Alltell (VzW) in certain areas so that means the phone does accept new PRL's.

I would have to wonder if Cell South doesnt let users manually update the PRL but rather pushes them down so they disabled the option. Sprint pushes down PRL updates from time to time but also gives users the option to manually update.

I wouldn't let it keep you up at night.

so I tried it out and it did work, from 4 rings to 3 on their end -_-

I looked at the cellsouth hero manual, and it appears to be the exact same as sprint.

in the first link it says settings > about phone > status > system update, that's wrong for the sprint hero, status only shows you the current versions of software.

it should be settings > about phone > system update

which is the very first option that you see after clicking "about phone", it may not be on the cell south phone, just make sure you going to the right place.

also, i'm with you KSmithInNY, my prl was already up, and roaming was already unchecked, so this didn't help my phone.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

seems like a hit or miss type of deal here. sorry.
    8GB SDHC Class 6
    1.2.9 recovery image
    Nexus Boot Screen
    Fresh ROM 1.1

-My Sprint Hero Blog

I've been testing this out on my phone and it seems hit and miss. On occasion my Hero will pick up right away and on other times it will take up to three rings to pick up.

I also wonder has anyone noticed a difference in ring lag by adding or removing widgets? Once I removed the HTC widgets for airplane and blue tooth the phone picked up before the second ring.
    Last edited by voghan; 03-11-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Type and additional statement

Try This Its been months now and while sometimes it takes 2 rings ... It has improved significantly.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +

I've changed the slot cycle index and I'm picking up most of the time around the second ring. This has to be the most annoying issue I have with this phone. I have lost several calls to vm because it takes so long to start ringing. Sad part is I was showing off the phone to a co-worker with an iphone and he called me so I could save his number and we sat there waiting for my phone to start ringing.

So you can only get your MSL by calling Sprint?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast