Swithed To Hero

Super27#CB

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Don't ever look back. I went Pre -> Tour -> Hero and couldn't be happier. Android has come SO far from the original G1 I had on T-Mobile...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. Its kinda funny because I frequent precentral still for my girlfriend's poor lost soul. They bash android sooo bad there because the OS isn't "Polished" It may seem rough, but at least its functional without updates breaking stuff or losing all your contacts except the default sprint ones.

dondadah88

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
i have the palm pre but very intrested in andriod. aka the htc hero. but worry about battery life ad alot of stuff that i see my pre having trouble on doing.

i was thinking abuot waiting for the htc hyper sonic to see if it is true.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
i have the palm pre but very intrested in andriod. aka the htc hero. but worry about battery life ad alot of stuff that i see my pre having trouble on doing.

Battery life can be better than the Pre, easily. You just have to be cautious of whats open. I keep GPS off and have a toggle on the screen. I use google maps a lot, but with the Android platform, it works well with just a tower signal. I pretty much only use GPS for Sprint Navigation.
A lot of programs open at startup, I wish this was customizable, but its not... at least not on an unrooted phone.

I will probably break contract in the summer, and it has nothing to do with Sprint or the Phone. I've become much happier with Sprint since I ditched the Pre... probably because I haven't had to contact them or Palm for any nonsense. I graduate then and it doesn't make sense for me to be on a family plan with my parents... unless I do a residency where I will make didily squat for a year.
I hope there are some exciting phones coming sprint's way then, but as of news right now, just about every other carrier is getting something good and I won't get my hopes up about the supersonic. WiMax sounds cool, but it will probably be ridiculously expensive, if its even going to be in your area by then.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
If you are interested in the Hero, now is the time to try it out. HTC just released the kernel source for the Hero and all the devs are hard at work making custom ROMs for the CDMA Hero. Anytime now we will be able to run 2.1 to our hearts content. It could be months before a device with new hardware is actually available on Sprint.

I guess it just depends on what type of phone owner you are. I don't let the lack of a hardware upgrade prevent me from buying a new device usually. When I buy a new phone I keep it covered and in pristine condition. Then as needed I sell it on ebay to subsidize the cost of upgrading. Many times it costs little or nothing to swap.

joek71#AC

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I came from RIM 8703E->8330->Pre->Hero

Kid of miss the Pre with hard keyboard but will wait this uear to see what HTC somes out with and what Palm come out with for Sprint, I like the hero but sometimes virtual keyboards gets to me otherwise it is a great phone.

Super27#CB

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site

Battery life on the Hero is WAY better than the Pre, so I wouldn't worry. I went through 2 Pre's, and on the best day with it I never got more than 8 hours battery life (keeping in mind the fact that I'm a professional pilot and my phone spends 2-3 of those hours every day on airplane mode). With the exact same usage patterns on the Hero I can easily go 12+ hours...

dondadah88

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
i dont want to hi jack your thread. but since you switched maybe i can ask you and others a few questions...
with my phone i multitask heavily. when i'm just relaxing, i
listen to music
use about 3-4 web pages
email
text
i check alot of apps like preware (webos users know this) to try to make my phone better
and some more stuff...

now of course i know that that will kill your battery but my pre battery sucks. it's horible. and i dont see my phone funtional. meaning that i cant transfer stuff over bluetooth and many more stuff.
but my phone crashes, reboot, freezes and i just want to give up. i just dont want to buy another phone and not be happy with it.

what life are people getting with the hero and what do they do??????
how is the performance of sense ui and the hero over all????
do you miss the fact that the hero is 1.6 or 1.5 and do you think you can live without 2.1 and if you were to find out that you cant get that upgrade how will you look at your phone after????

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
i dont want to hi jack your thread. but since you switched maybe i can ask you and others a few questions...
listen to music
use about 3-4 web pages
email
text
i check alot of apps like preware (webos users know this) to try to make my phone better
and some more stuff...

now of course i know that that will kill your battery but my pre battery sucks. it's horible. and i dont see my phone funtional. meaning that i cant transfer stuff over bluetooth and many more stuff.
but my phone crashes, reboot, freezes and i just want to give up. i just dont want to buy another phone and not be happy with it.

do you miss the fact that the hero is 1.6 or 1.5 and do you think you can live without 2.1 and if you were to find out that you cant get that upgrade how will you look at your phone after????

So I'll try to answer this... as I had a Pre for 6 months that I got on day 1 (and I'm well aware of Preware and it's patches - and the need to keep up to date on them)... So far, the Hero is getting close to x2 the battery life of the Pre. I was running my Pre with email, text, and web open at all times throughout the day with bluetooth connected and getting calls, texts, and emails back and forth from 10am-6pm and my Pre was almost dead, if not on the charger already... my Hero is at about 50-60% at 6pm, not being charged one time throughout the day. And the Preware/patch obsession with your Pre will be substituted for FREE apps in the App Market (ask ANY android user)

kelcya

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i switched from htc touch to hero and i like it so far. i been taking a lot of time browsing the market hahaha.
still new to it. i think the battery life is not that good.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
listen to music
use about 3-4 web pages
email
text
and some more stuff...

One thing... Bluetooth transfer won't be available until it gets over 2.0. Plenty of sources point to this occurring soon, but there are other features that are available now that the Pre won't have for a while... or ever. Believe me, I'm a college student and "thrifty" comes to mind. I use the shop savy app ant its amazing! Video recording, although I've only used once, is a nice feature to have for spur of the moment times when hanging out with friends. If I partied more, I would video tape my drunk friends and put them up on youtube. But since I've become lame, I've only used it to record my gf's family playing guitar hero.

dondadah88

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
thanks everyone but it seems that i might not get the hero or keep the pre

sprint called me and said that i am using to much roaming charges and i told them that i have no service at school, my house or my job. they gave me 3 options
1. set my phone to sprint only
2. cancel my contract and switch my phone number over to a different carrier and i dont have to pay the etf.
3. cancel my service.

i'm thinking about going to t-mobile and get the nexus one.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
thanks everyone but it seems that i might not get the hero or keep the pre

sprint called me and said that i am using to much roaming charges and i told them that i have no service at school, my house or my job. they gave me 3 options
1. set my phone to sprint only
2. cancel my contract and switch my phone number over to a different carrier and i dont have to pay the etf.
3. cancel my service.

i'm thinking about going to t-mobile and get the nexus one.

What a bummer!!!! Make sure you check the T-Mo map prior to committing to a service contract because T-Mo doesnt have as nice of a roaming map as Sprint or Verizon. You might consider cancelling your contract, buying a prepaid cell phone until early spring when the Nexus One hits Verizon. The only thing id warn about with the big red though is get ready to shell out some $$$ compared to Sprint or T-Mo.

Good luck and hopefully you stick with Android!

robdmau

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
your pre probably crashes and locks up because you hack it to get the patches and preware and all that installed... Battery life with the latest update almost lasts all day, plus hero's is probably double the battery. I've seen extended size batteries for the pre... The New update they say will go out in feb with video and video edit. I'm debating webOS or android myself, not sure about having a hand full of phones running different versions... From what I've read if you don't hack your webOS, it's running good now... I Keep going to the stores to play with both and it seams to be a pain to drag down your window with android to see your notifies, or apps that are running, then go into the app and figure out how to close it... Tried to close pandora and it took about 3 mins to find the close button... WebOS just hit that center button and flick up...

listen to music
use about 3-4 web pages
email
text
and some more stuff...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia