The error of my ways............

crowordove

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm five months in to the wonderful world of smartphones and have realized that my initial direction was horribly wrong. I went with blackberry..........

I have a 8330m curve and am bound by a 2 year contract. (I know I could man up and pay for something more but I'm broke) :(

I have learned the error of my ways and have fallen in love with the sprint hero. I just have a few general questions for reference reasons.

The first of these being ROM manipulating. I know only from what my curve has taught me with os modifications. (a hybrid os is about all that it can do with the extra fluff removed) how hard is it to learn and implement?

And the second is the general upgrading of the android operating system that HTC puts out with it's sense UI difficulty(eclair is just around the corner for the hero and froyo soon after). Blackberry was just a simple press of a button essentially and I want to know what I might be getting into.

I apologize for the newb questions but thanks in advance.:D

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The first of these being ROM manipulating. I know only from what my curve has taught me with os modifications. (a hybrid os is about all that it can do with the extra fluff removed) how hard is it to learn and implement?

Not hard at all. You need to get the tools (all free) and learn the directory structure and you can easily swap things in and out of a ROM, even on the fly.

One thing - this is one of those cases when Linux is a much easier and better choice than Windows. While you wait, play around with Linux if you aren't already familiar and it will be time well spent.
And the second is the general upgrading of the android operating system that HTC puts out with it's sense UI difficulty(eclair is just around the corner for the hero and froyo soon after). Blackberry was just a simple press of a button essentially and I want to know what I might be getting into.

You'll likely have three choices -
1. The Palm route. Click the button on the device that says - "Hey, we have an update for you. It might take a while and your phone might not work while it's happening. Wanna go for it?"

2. Download a ~100MB file to your Windows PC, plug the phone in and click an icon. 5 minutes later you're done.

3. Wait for someone to rip the update apart, pre-root it and flash it like any other custom ROM. If you like the idea of having root and customizing your phone, this will be the way to go. Last Hero update took me about 10 minutes to tear down and install this way, so the wait won't be long.

I apologize for the newb questions but thanks in advance.:D
Never be sorry for asking questions. You won't get flamed here, and the moderators do a damn fine job keeping the useless bickering in check. Welcome to A/C.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm five months in to the wonderful world of smartphones and have realized that my initial direction was horribly wrong. I went with blackberry..........

I have a 8330m curve and am bound by a 2 year contract. (I know I could man up and pay for something more but I'm broke) :(

Your not in as bad of shape as you think. You need to ensure you qualify as a Sprint Premier customer (pretty much everyone qualifies). If you do, you can upgrade your phone every 12 months at the cost of a new customer which would mean you only have to wait 7 months.

Also, i know you dont know me but take my word for it, Blackberry is an excellent introduction into the smartphone world. Blackberry phones are awesome for one thing ... what they are supposed to do, they are amazing at doing. OS's like Android and WebOS are really neat and are the future of smartphones so eventually they'll reach the stability of BB but right now they can be kind of quirky which may turn someone off thats used to a feature phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20