Questions about car dock screen

BurrDroid

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking everywhere for info on this.... maybe you can help.

I'm pretty pumped about 2.1 coming to the Hero. One of the things I'm excited about is the Google Navigation; I'm planning on selling my current Nav system and just using my phone.

So, I'm going to need a car mount. I saw some mounts have a magnet that automatically switch some phones to the car dock screen... I think the Moto droid does this.

Is this something only some Android phones do?... does the Hero do this?.. My wife has the Samsung Moment... Can it do this?

Even if it doesn't automatically switch when I put it into the mount.. Does 2.1 give you the option to manually switch it to the car dock screen?

Sorry about all the questions... I've been wondering these things for awhile.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
As of now, Neither HTC or Samsung market car docks for the Hero or Moment. There are other generic mounts, even available on here, but they do not put the phone in dock mode, nor do they have magnets or charge the phones. Luckily, they don't block the charging port (on the Hero at least) and you can just use a car charger for that.
There is also a company, although a bit pricey, offers very nice looking car adapters that are unique to car and device. Check it out:
ProClip Mounting System - Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
FYI, FWIW, I have a thread over here that has several links to various car mounts and similar hardware. Not exactly what you were asking, I know.

I was looking for a holster that faced the phone's screen OUT so I could hack it onto my car's console. Never did find anything, so I bought a generic smartphone wallet thing and cut into that. 45 minutes later it was a done deal. It's not great but it'll be good enough for a few months until something better comes out, or for two years until I get a new phone :)