"Wait" when dialing

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I've tried the search function here and haven't seen anyone ask this question...

Sprint CDMA version.

Anyone use the "wait" button for their contacts? I've been trying to enter it into a couple of contacts, but every time I try to add it to the number via the phone, nothing happens - no characters, nothing. I was finally able to get it to add by putting it into my address book on my computer and syncing it up to the phone.

I've read it's supposed to be a semicolon, but when I tried the semicolon, I ended up getting a voiced error message: "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect..."

Anyone else get this to work on their phone? There are a few numbers that I'd like to store with "wait" functions, which has been on cell phones for... well... forever.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Bump for answer?

I tried Googling the answer, but "HTC Hero wait button" only seems to bring up blog posts about people waiting for Android 2.1 :p

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what it does.

It allows you to pre-program a phone entry to dial something in particular after it dials the number, but it waits for your input to send it. In my case, I have a hotline that I need to call to find out the weather conditions, but I have to dial 505 after the hotline picks up to get to it.

Use comma's for 2-second pauses.

I would, but the hotline does not consistently pick up at the same time. Sometimes, it can take 5 seconds. Others, it can take 8 seconds. If you wait too long, it hangs up. Don't wait long enough, it doesn't go through.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just tried using the "wait" feature while editing a contact, and it did indeed add a semi-colon. I tested it out and after dialing the number, the phone screen popped up a box that said "dial ####?", so it appears to work fine on the Droid running OS 2.01.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I just tried using the "wait" feature while editing a contact, and it did indeed add a semi-colon. I tested it out and after dialing the number, the phone screen popped up a box that said "dial ####?", so it appears to work fine on the Droid running OS 2.01.

Hmmm... Doesn't work on my unmodified Hero (Sprint CDMA)

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Solved

When I said "unmodified," I misspoke. I have Better Keyboard installed, and that was the source of the problem.

I've read that Android uses a semicolon for its "wait" function, but apparently, the HTC Hero uses a "w" instead.

I turned off Better Keyboard, added the wait, and it worked just fine.

I'll notify Better Keyboard's developers of this issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy