Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default come on people!!

Come on everyone! this phone is brand new o sprint! lets talk about it!!!! man, the precentral site was BUSY!

Talk it up!

Chris S.

ROM
    Stock

lol.

I came from the pre to the Hero. While I miss the easier multitasking and gesture area i like the Hero more. I was kind of hoping this forum would be busier so could learn more about using all the features of the Hero and android I'm sure i don't know about. I haven't even see a Tips and Tricks thread.

androidforums.com seems to be the major site, but they've been having server problems for the past week. The site has lots of information if you've got mountains of patience. Personally, I like the layout of androidcentral better.
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

First of all, my biggest issue coming from the Pre is not the onscreen keyboard, and it is an issue, but the tendency to try and slide the keyboard out from underneath.

Second, WHEN android forums loads, there seems to be little there because no one else could post anything. This is the best forum I have found so far. The Sprint site is OK, but not as good.

I'm loving my hero. I went from an old HTC Mogul w/ windows mobile 6 on it. The battery started dying literally, about every 5 mins so it was time for something new. I've been following the rumors and dev. of the hero for the past few months, so I was pretty excited to get it. I did have a few concerns going into it though - 1. I was very used to a hardware keyboard, and didn't think I'd be able to get used to onscreen (i had messed w/ my buddies iphone a bit, and couldnt get used to his onscreen board). 2. Throughout development, apparently the sense UI was sluggish, so I was worried it would easily get bogged down when multitasking or not rebooting often.

I've been playing w/ the phone a lot the past couple days and both concerns were addressed. The keyboard is great! The predictive text input, as well as the option to use the full qwerty or dialer both with t9 made it a super easy transition for me. I'm pretty fully used to the onscreen keyboard after 2 days use.

As far as the sluggishness is concerned - I haven't run into any at all. The home screens flow very smoothly between each other, apps load decently fast, when multitasking, things still run well. I've been very happy with the speed and smoothness of the sense UI and the phone as a whole.

Overall, I am really really happy w/ the hero. I definitely prefer it over the iphone (and easily over my old Mogul). It is a very slick phone, hugely customizable, and easy to use. I think my buddy who has the iphone that I played with is a little jealous himself - and he's a huge iphone fanboy.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,687 Global Posts

I love the Sense UI! Wasnt a fan of TouchFLO in wm phones but Sense is actually useful.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I was hesitant about the onscreen keyboard as well! I had been with the Pre for the past couple weeks and LOVED having a physical keyboard again. My previous phone was a samsung omnia with a resistive touch screen, which was a HUGE pain to type on.

After a couple hours using the Heros qwerty I knew I was going to stay with it!

I love this phone!

Chris S

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts

I'm from the Pre also including PreCentral. The PreCentral site is alot more active than this site, but maybe this one will get there. OK, I just got my Hero yesterday (still have my Pre), how do you multitask with the Hero? Seems like you have to close one to open another, excuse my ignorance, but I'm just not getting it.....any help would be appreciated. So far I like this phone, after 3 months with the Pre I just have to get used to a few things. I like having all the missing features that the Pre doesn't and will not have for quite some time. The UI seems nice and smooth with very little lag and apps open in a reasonable amount of time. No comparison to the app catalog!!!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

if you hold the home key down while in any app, or when on the home desktop, a box will pop up with the last six apps you used. just click the one you were looking to go back to.

thats the only way i know how to jump from one to the other.

the whole card idea was a nice idea! something i'll always like about the pre.

Chris S