Contacts searchable from home screen?

eusthebest

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, i have been trying to get contacts searchable from the home screen but i cant seem to find the setting that would allow me to do so.

when i press the search key while on the home screen and i type something it does not give me the option to use anything other than the web, is there a way to have it search for contacts, apps, email, etc???

i know the functionality is there, at least for contacts, my friend has a HTC my touch and he is able to search contacts this way, i dont know if this is a feature that HTC removed from Sense UI and if they did is there a way to get it back?

marcch

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I use the Aurora app, I got from the Market... I set it as the default app to use when searching from the Home Screen using the HTC Search Widget

Aurora is much like the Universal Search function of a Palm Pre.
It lets you search Contacts, Text Messages, Emails, Bookmarks, or even the Internet (Google, Wikipedia, etc...)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, i have been trying to get contacts searchable from the home screen but i cant seem to find the setting that would allow me to do so.

when i press the search key while on the home screen and i type something it does not give me the option to use anything other than the web, is there a way to have it search for contacts, apps, email, etc???

i know the functionality is there, at least for contacts, my friend has a HTC my touch and he is able to search contacts this way, i dont know if this is a feature that HTC removed from Sense UI and if they did is there a way to get it back?

Your friend with the mytouch has android 1.6. The universal search function isn't on 1.5. We should get it whenever our phones are updated. In the meantime, try the 3rd party app recommended.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I tried Aurora and had it Force Close a few times, so I deleted it... but it was awesome to have "Universal Search" on my Hero for a little bit.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a Moto Droid running 2.0.1. So, I don't know if this answer applies to you.... But, I might just give it a shot (please don't flame if this retarded, just politely tell me to go back to Droid land)

Isn't there an icon you can put in your home screen? I have an icon called "contacts". Just put that on the home screen and it opens your contacts.

I don't use the search button, just the icon and then scroll. Or, are you saying that you DON'T want to scroll in the contatcs, but want to search thru a bunch of contatcs by "jumping" to a particular contact? Do you have the slider on the far right hand side of the screen to quickly jump thru the alphabet while in the contacts app? The little slider doesn't appear until you touch the very edge of the screen.

Again, please excuse me if this does not apply to your device / OS.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a Moto Droid running 2.0.1. So, I don't know if this answer applies to you.... But, I might just give it a shot (please don't flame if this retarded, just politely tell me to go back to Droid land)

Isn't there an icon you can put in your home screen? I have an icon called "contacts". Just put that on the home screen and it opens your contacts.

I don't use the search button, just the icon and then scroll. Or, are you saying that you DON'T want to scroll in the contatcs, but want to search thru a bunch of contatcs by "jumping" to a particular contact? Do you have the slider on the far right hand side of the screen to quickly jump thru the alphabet while in the contacts app? The little slider doesn't appear until you touch the very edge of the screen.

Again, please excuse me if this does not apply to your device / OS.

It does. Since we have Sense, its called People. It integrates everything in one app, facebook status, missed calls, messages, e-mails, groups, updates and events. It is nice to have universal search. Its a very minor feature i miss from the pre, but ill be getting it, so i don't care that much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez