Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Android Supporter

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denisew1972 View Post
    True but.... you can only do this with the MP3 files. Notice it's hit or miss when you go to trim as to if it allows you trim a ringtone or goes straight to "set as ringtone" for options. I have many different files for music not just MP3 so that is why I still use and love ringdroid.... plus ringdroid allows you to set the ringer for everything (alarm, text...) not just a notification or contact ringer like the stock app does. I agree the stock app is cool, used it before I discovered ringdroid. But Ringdroid allows you more control over what to do with the ringer once it's cut and what files it allows you to trim.
    there is an app i found called ringerextended you can use it as a default app to assign ringtones anywhere you want.
    "live by the Creed"
    PSN id:Jase
    QIK id:jase313

EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
    I love the fact that I can silence my phone just but flipping it over.
    Thanks for that. I had no idea you could do that with the Hero.

OES, DOI & ZPhiB....what more can you ask for?
    ~There will never be another one as lovely as I~
    ~FES~

If you have a ringtone folder already (e.g. from your sd card used on a previous phone). Move the folder to media then audio and change the file name to ringtones (With lowercase r) and the ringtones you already have will show up under the settings to change your default ringtone instead of going through the music application.

OES, DOI & ZPhiB....what more can you ask for?
    ~There will never be another one as lovely as I~
    ~FES~

neat tips.. thanks.. glad this is a sticky
    A|C Fanboy

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    TrickDroid

tips from a new android guy with a htc sprint hero. First hold the menu button to pull up keyboard, hold the search button to do voice search, hold end key for just a few seconds to bring up these options: power off, silent mode, vibration mode, airplane, or mobile network on/off. Also hold send key to pull up voice commands (example: "call suzie"). So thats a few from my time with my new hero. Btw I'm an ex-blackberry guy and loving the android family

Quote Originally Posted by RamboDroid View Post
    tips from a new android guy with a htc sprint hero. First hold the menu button to pull up keyboard, hold the search button to do voice search, hold end key for just a few seconds to bring up these options: power off, silent mode, vibration mode, airplane, or mobile network on/off. Also hold send key to pull up voice commands (example: "call suzie"). So thats a few from my time with my new hero. Btw I'm an ex-blackberry guy and loving the android family
    THANK YOU for that tip! I didn't know their was voicedialing available! A+. Why is there no Thanks button on this forum?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

This thread is for Tips, Tricks and Easter Eggs. Please do not post questions in this thread, as they will be deleted.

If you have a question, please search for an answer or start a new thread.

ROM
    AOSP/CM 2.3.4

Also, if you hold the red power button, it brings up a menu with all kinds of convenient options, like to turn off the ringer.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

This is a minor tip, but normally when you type and use a period, you should tap the spacebar twice (any proper or formal writing). If your typing in text and end your sentence, instead of pressing period then space to start your new sentence, just tap the spacebar twice and it will put the period in for you.

" Also hold send key to pull up voice commands (example: "call suzie"). So thats a few from my time with my new hero. Btw I'm an ex-blackberry guy and loving the android family " I knew this phone had to have this basic option... Thanks so much for this information.... With glove weather upon us it makes it easier to be able to call with less touches of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfulzeta View Post
    Thanks for that. I had no idea you could do that with the Hero.

Me neither and I've had mine for a while. Who'd a thunk.

It took me a while to realize that you can have multiple windows open in the default web browser. When you're looking at a web page, if you long-press a hyperlink, you'll get a popup menu which allows you to open that link in a new window; then hitting menu / windows will allow you to switch between them. It's also much easier to navigate web pages by moving the trackball around than by hitting little text links with your thumb or finger - as you move the trackball different links are highlighted, and then you can press / long-press the trackball itself to open them.

Oh, one other thing: the trackball functions as arrow keys when you're typing, so you can use it to go back and correct mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrian View Post
    This is a minor tip, but normally when you type and use a period, you should tap the spacebar twice (any proper or formal writing).
    Word processors compensate for this. No need to double tap space, it does it for you when formatting.

He meant you don't have to even type the period. Double space equals implied period.

Great tips! I'm 5 days into my Hero

Love this thread

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here's one I discovered 2 months into ownership. I always pressed home to get to the home screen. Open enough apps and the phone gets laggy. However, if you hit back when you're in an app, it actually closes the app properly saving battery life, eliminating the slightest need for an app killer. In Dolphin browser, if you long press the back button, it has an option to exit, just in case you opened like 20 pages and it would take a while to close the app. Haven't tried the default browser as I'm still testing the Dolphin browser.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    Here's one I discovered 2 months into ownership. I always pressed home to get to the home screen. Open enough apps and the phone gets laggy. However, if you hit back when you're in an app, it actually closes the app properly saving battery life, eliminating the slightest need for an app killer. In Dolphin browser, if you long press the back button, it has an option to exit, just in case you opened like 20 pages and it would take a while to close the app. Haven't tried the default browser as I'm still testing the Dolphin browser.
    On the default browser if you long press the back button it brings up "recently-visited pages"

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    That does not work in all apps. For instance, Handcent will just go over the last several screens you've been in. Of course, it will work if you start using it right after a restart.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kehanra99 View Post
    That does not work in all apps. For instance, Handcent will just go over the last several screens you've been in. Of course, it will work if you start using it right after a restart.
    It works in Handcent if you go all the way back to the home screen. Works for me.

wow do I feel stupid for not figuring that one out. Super helpful, thanks!

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

I don't know of this is a trick or just a tid bit of information. I thought my phone was getting quite laggy when I couldn't get it to rotate a picture from portrait to landscape nor could I get the browser to do it. That was until I discovered that the screen will only rotate from portrait to landscape only if you rotate the phone counter clockwise from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock. I discovered that I mostly flip my phone from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock leading to the screen not rotating. I was about to trade it in and wait on the Nexus or some other android phone. Now I'm much happier knowing how to make it rotate the screen.

It is really helpful to me. Thank you so much giving this such nice tips and tricks.

Default Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by thither View Post
    Oh, one other thing: the trackball functions as arrow keys when you're typing, so you can use it to go back and correct mistakes.
    Never knew that .. Thanks! That will help me and my full figured fingers!
    Class2 8GB SD

Quote Originally Posted by thither View Post
    It took me a while to realize that you can have multiple windows open in the default web browser. When you're looking at a web page, if you long-press a hyperlink, you'll get a popup menu which allows you to open that link in a new window; then hitting menu / windows will allow you to switch between them. It's also much easier to navigate web pages by moving the trackball around than by hitting little text links with your thumb or finger - as you move the trackball different links are highlighted, and then you can press / long-press the trackball itself to open them.

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the great tips!

I fumble finger a lot so I was very happy to read on the forum that I could reset my dictionary to default
    Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Touch Input

I suspect that there are lots of good app tricks in this menu. Hope that helps others as much as it's helped me.

This tip seems to work only on sprint´s hero, i own an orange hero and it does not work.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast