Display of Sprint HTC Hero

Trojan_M

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I thought the Hero had a proximity sensor on it. But after playing with it in the store. It does not look like it has one. Does anyone that has the phone can you verify for me. And if does not. How long does the display stay light while you are one a call.

I know its a small thing. But I hate the light on large screen phone being on while I am on a call. Plus I don't want to activate buttons when I'm on the phone. :)

Please let me know. I'm just about ready to get this phone.

Thanks

esanger02

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The Hero doesn't have a proximity sensor like the Pre does. Just so you know too, ive had the pre since BB reward zone release and i havent hit a single button yet when i was in a call and i always rest the phone on my shoulder when i talk on it

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I thought the Hero had a proximity sensor on it. But after playing with it in the store. It does not look like it has one. Does anyone that has the phone can you verify for me. And if does not. How long does the display stay light while you are one a call.

I know its a small thing. But I hate the light on large screen phone being on while I am on a call. Plus I don't want to activate buttons when I'm on the phone. :)

Please let me know. I'm just about ready to get this phone.

Thanks

I just tested this and the screen does go off. Its not like the Pre (no proximity sensor as others mentioned) but I think its tied to the screen settings. When I was on a call the screen went off in about a minute which is what I have the setting for the screen on. This leads me to believe its tied to the screen setting.

It would be distracting if the screen stayed on when on a call especially at night driving. It could cause glare and let others know you are not using hands free (good for law enforcement).

Hope this helps.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
No proximity sensor but you can customize the time until the display turn off during a call using an app called power manager.

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Not sure how long the screen stays on for - I have my general screen time-out set to two minutes and there's no way the screen stays on that long while in a call.

D

acipollo

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
They have a few things in the Android Market for that. Shake Awake is a good one and another one that turns on when you move it away from your ear.

qdigga

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
My Hero shuts the screen off a few seconds after I get on a call. It stays off even after the call is over, causing me to hit the power button to end the call if the other person hasn't hung up. Not that HUGE of an invconvenience when sitting or walking, but causes a little concern when driving, if you want to kill the call before the other person hangs up. Someone here mentione "shake to wake", so I'll try that and see if it works for me...

mabmarc#WP

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Hero screen times out after 1 minute on calls?

My Hero's screen will blank on a phone call after 1 minute. I have the screen set to timeout after 30 seconds.

Another poster said his went out a few seconds after a call. How is that possible? I just did a hard reset of the phone and tested it before adding any applications and the screen stayed on for 1 minute during the call.

I tried Power Manager but it didn't work on my hero.

Anyone else figure out how to make this phone screen shut off when a call comes in or out?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Proximity Sensor works great for me. It is constantly being updated as well. Plus, be sure to read the directions when you first set it up. It shuts the screen off when you pull it away from your face. Since its not an actual proximity sensor, it fails in 1 setting. If its dark when you answer the phone, then pull it away from your face, it wont light up the screen again. This is because the light before you answered the call and after are too close. You can always hit the back button to light up the screen in call. Hit the home screen to switch applications, like a note or open an already downloaded e-mail for information. Works great for me. You also must dictate CDMA or GSM hero in settings.

TheReclinerJockey

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Proximity Sensor works great for me. It is constantly being updated as well. Plus, be sure to read the directions when you first set it up. It shuts the screen off when you pull it away from your face. Since its not an actual proximity sensor, it fails in 1 setting. If its dark when you answer the phone, then pull it away from your face, it wont light up the screen again. This is because the light before you answered the call and after are too close. You can always hit the back button to light up the screen in call. Hit the home screen to switch applications, like a note or open an already downloaded e-mail for information. Works great for me. You also must dictate CDMA or GSM hero in settings.

You also have to make sure auto-display is on in settings. I have had this app since I first heard about it and I love it. I was hanging up on people with my face all the time before that.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I tried that app and it did nothing but FC on me by simply moving the phone a little bit to the left. I tried to give it a chance but it FAILed in epic ways.

maybe i'll try it again to see if it got any better.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried that app and it did nothing but FC on me by simply moving the phone a little bit to the left. I tried to give it a chance but it FAILed in epic ways.

maybe i'll try it again to see if it got any better.

I would give it another try, its been updated several times in the past week and a half. It looks the same, just doesn't force close on me anymore.