Up Time & Awake Time

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I searched for what these two things are and didn't find it.

Can someone please explain what these two things are and how to get the Up time lower. Mine has been sitting at 96% and I'm assuming that's draining the battery pretty well.

I'll have certain times during the day where my battery will drain slow which is good and then ill have time where I check it twice within 5 minutes of each other and it drops 3-5%, whats up with that??

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Up time = time phone has been on.
Awake time = portion of Up Time that CPU has been running at full speed.

Lower Awake time = better battery life.

There is a couple of bugs that are affecting the Awake time, the first of which is using the default HTC messaging app for SMS and MMS. Switch to Handcent or ChompSMS, disable incoming notifications in HTC messaging app, disable pop up's in Handcent and restart your phone. Works for some, not for others. Either way Handcent beats the hell out of HTC's app :)

Other issues may be related to charging via USB port, Loopt, Pandora and using Task killing apps. In any case, HTC/Sprint has already said they know there is a Wake Lock bug, and are working on a patch.

Power managment is not done well in most smart phones, and the Hero is no exception. More than a day's use, or even less with heavy use is probably not going to happen on a single charge, even when any bugs are fixed.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
By messaging app, do you mean the widget you can put on the home screen or the actual messaging client?

I had handcent and it seemed to make the phone weird but maybe I didn't disable to right stuff. But those are the settings you recommend for it to work well? Thanks

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
By messaging app, do you mean the widget you can put on the home screen or the actual messaging client?

I had handcent and it seemed to make the phone weird but maybe I didn't disable to right stuff. But those are the settings you recommend for it to work well? Thanks

Both. Anytime you send out an SMS message using the HTC messaging app it locks the phone's dialer awake. Disable the notifications and don't open it again.

There's about a gazillion ways to customize Handcent. Set it up how you like it to look, just make sure pop up previews for incoming messages are turned off. Describe what you mean by make the phone weird a bit?

So I did what u said and noticed this...

The handcent icon is just an "X" for some reason

Yep. The app was just updated and the icon got "lost". Dev knows and says he will fix it soon. I just use the android Handcent widget on my hs for the icon, and it even shows a msg count.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks a lot gbhil. You and ERDude are so helpful, it's awesome haha. One more question for you...Is there any way to rename icons on the home screen? It's not a big deal but I'd like to rename Handcent SMS to just "messages." Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae