anyone use the compact qwerty?

qdigga

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Less effective because it's on a Virtual Keyboard.... A little harder to be accurate than the full Virtual QWERTY KB

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I used the compact QWERTY keyboard as my main keyboard all the time. It's really excellent, and very accurate for common words. The only occasionally aggravating thing was using it to enter passwords, user names, and filenames.

Now, HSAT, I haven't wanted to use any of the HTC keyboards since I started using the official Swype beta. But if you don't like Swype, the compact QWERTY is easily the best choice IMO.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I used the compact QWERTY keyboard as my main keyboard all the time. It's really excellent, and very accurate for common words. The only occasionally aggravating thing was using it to enter passwords, user names, and filenames.

Now, HSAT, I haven't wanted to use any of the HTC keyboards since I started using the official Swype beta. But if you don't like Swype, the compact QWERTY is easily the best choice IMO.

I have seen the swype demonstrated, but I a still confused about how it works.

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I have seen the swype demonstrated, but I a still confused about how it works.
You tap on the starting letter of the word, trace all the letters in the word in order without lifting your finger, and then lift off on the last letter. So to swype the word "easy": tap "e", slide to "a", slide to "s", slide to "y", lift your finger. There is an option to have Swype automatically add a space after each word, so you can just swype the next word.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
You tap on the starting letter of the word, trace all the letters in the word in order without lifting your finger, and then lift off on the last letter. So to swype the word "easy": tap "e", slide to "a", slide to "s", slide to "y", lift your finger. There is an option to have Swype automatically add a space after each word, so you can just swype the next word.

You think that this method is easier, faster,and more accurate? It seems like it would be slower to me. Am I wrong?

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
You think that this method is easier, faster,and more accurate? It seems like it would be slower to me. Am I wrong?
Well, all I can say is that Swype is much, much faster for me than the compact QWERTY. (And the compact QWERTY is already faster than any of the other HTC keyboards.) YMMV, of course.

JayCudi

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
At first, I thought Swype would be counterproductive and a waste to install.

Once I became too intrigued by it, I went to the website to register but the beta version was already closed

I heard about Shapewriter and decided to download it...
it took me some time to get use to...
but boy, do I love it

ElAguila

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I use the compact keyboard with text prediction turned on. After making some user dictionary entries, I am able to use this one much faster than the full keyboard using it in XT9 mode.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm a droid user.. please excuse my ignorance on hero keyboards... is "copmact qwerty" the portrait qwerty? or is it some sort of hero option?

oh, and +1 for swype

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a droid user.. please excuse my ignorance on hero keyboards... is "copmact qwerty" the portrait qwerty? or is it some sort of hero option?

oh, and +1 for swype

You have an option for the keyboard in portrait mode (full qwerty, phone keypad, and compact qwerty). Compact qwerty is like suretype for the Storm. The area that you touch becomes bigger so you can be more accurate.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You have an option for the keyboard in portrait mode (full qwerty, phone keypad, and compact qwerty). Compact qwerty is like suretype for the Storm. The area that you touch becomes bigger so you can be more accurate.

thanks for the explanation. I'm not a big fan of "small" - especially when it comes to keyboards.