USB Device Not Recognized

drac64

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, using Win 7 64bit and an HTC Hero. When I plug in the USB cable all the phone does is charge, no USB icon comes up, and windows just says "USB Device not recognized". I have tried two cables and USB debugging, along with a factory reset/battery pull. Telling windows to install the driver (that I got from softpedia) also doesnt work.

Any ideas?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It happened to me after I put in a cheap bluetooth dongle I got. I dunno, everything seems to work though, despite the warning, try uninstalling all other peripherals on the pc and restart it with the phone in place.

drac64

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
It happened to me after I put in a cheap bluetooth dongle I got. I dunno, everything seems to work though, despite the warning, try uninstalling all other peripherals on the pc and restart it with the phone in place.

Tried this too, no dice. I think its the phone. I'm going to bring my cable to work tomorrow and try it on a few computers here.

Since I don't think I can get it replaced on warranty (not original owner/no receipt/not with Telus) is there a way to root the phone without a PC? Its a telus Hero so I think the only way is to do the gold card thing?

jodot360

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Same shot here, I been waiting for the damn Sprint update and it still hasn't come so I wanna root this **** but my computer won't pick it up.....so frustrating

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Same shot here, I been waiting for the damn Sprint update and it still hasn't come so I wanna root this **** but my computer won't pick it up.....so frustrating

If your computer isn't recognizing the phone via ADB (android debugging bridge), download this (installs the proper driver) and make sure USB debugging is turned to ON on the phone (settings--applications--development)

PdaNet for Android download

If your SD card isn't being recognized, thats another issue and may be a defective card/cable/usb port. I found out on my computer, the USB port is out... kinda. It has power, but no data transfer occurs. Could have happened when I put in a new motherboard.

bsgolob

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Out of ideas

I got my wife a Hero for Mother's Day (my first Android experience; I'm a Palm guy since the HS Visor), and I'm trying to get the contacts from her Centro (palm desktop) loaded up. Having the same problem with the phone not being recognized on windows desktop (XP 3), and windows trying to "install" it over and over. I plugged it into a Mac laptop, and the USB symbol appeared on the phone (and I did see it earlier when I first plugged the phone in to the windows desktop to charge), so I don't think it's the cable.

HTC sync (current version) installed, but does not find phone.

I went into device manager and uninstalled "android phone", UNchecked USB debugging on the phone, plugged it back in, and the USB symbol shows up on the phone again (top left). It also shows up as "generic volume" under "storage volumes" in device manager, and it is accessible in "my computer" when I select "mount" on phone (top left pulldown). Then I select HTC sync, add new hardware wizard comes up, I lose the USB icon on the phone, and HTC sync still doesn't work.

Any thoughts welcome...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
When you use HTC sync, you aren't using the SD card. Mounting the SD card is just for data transfer to the card, contacts are stored on the internal memory and require different drivers (android phone in device manager). You can't do both at the same time.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but...

An employee at the company whose IT we're in charge of is having this problem. He got the 2.1 update a few weeks ago and now the computer won't recognize the phone at all. Tried re-installing the drivers through the device manager already. Any tips? It's just a stock 2.1 Hero, no rooting and no ADB usage or anything of the sort.

TechnoChic

May 17, 2011
Visit site
It is most likely the card in the phone. I have same issue and when it happened I could no longer read the phone card on any computer, whether it was Vista, Windows XP or Windows 7. The card probably suffered a disconnect while the computer was still accessing it which can corrupt data. You have to be sure you "safely remove hardware" This happens to thumb drives and camera cards as well. It could also be that the port on the phone has stopped functioning properly as well. I have tried different cables and different computers with the same result. When I can switch out mini sd cards I'll post back the result.

L Dale

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My Windows XP initially recognized my Samsung Droid Charge. Later I started getting the "USB Device Not Recognized" error message. I changed back to my old USB cable and that fixed it! :D

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech