myTouch 4G or G2?

allyn274

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I know the big difference is whether or not you want the keyboard. But as I use my G2 - WHICH I LOVE - I find myself sliding out that keyboard less and less!!! Is there any other reason that I should NOT consider the my Touch 4G instead?

Thanks!

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The mySense is a negative?

I guess that is totally subjective... some people love stock Android... some people love Sense. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, I'm just trying to state a difference you did not state above... and something to consider if you are thinking about the difference between those two devices.

jizital

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i had the g2 and sent it back to get the mytouch.

i just found myself not using the slide out keyboard at all and the g2 was just way too heavy. also my battery life was ****ty and the phone would just shut off by itself.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from a T-Mobile store... I was looking around and a rep walked up... I explained I had tried the G2 for a couple days, but returned it... now I was waiting for the myTouch 4G... I said I did not see a new myTouch, and he said just a minute and went into the back and came out with the new myTouch.

I got a chance to handle one without the security attachment in the store... I really like the feel of it in my hands. First impression was it had a nice weight. The back color panel (sort of a grippy rubber, but solid), and nice size screen that looks great. Very nice with the metal backplate.

I'll be buying mine on Wednesday.

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
I spoke with a rep at Costco today and they said they will be getting the MT4G as well at launch and guarantees it will be a much better deal than T-Mobile will give anyways. My only problem is that she couldn't guarantee that they will have it in stock on Wednesday so I'm wondering if I should take the chance or just go to my T-Mobile corporate store. I have a feeling that this phone is going to sell pretty quickly at launch and knowing HTC they won't make enough to keep up with the demand like what they did with the Evo. I must say also I'm going through withdrawal right now since I'm back on my Blackberry 8900 since I returned the G2 and I'm hating life lol and now I have a bad battery on the BB that doesn't even last 3 hours.

floepie

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
How/where did you speak with a rep from Costco? Was it just someone floating around in the store? Was it at the wireless booth? I've called around, and no one knows or has received any word about availability in their stores.

gb2010

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Its all about about Stock Android !!!!!!!!!! but if you are into video chatting I would suggest the myTouch considering the G2 doesn't have a front-facing camera but its all about your preferences

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
G2 should in theory get updated faster, but it is really a "Which do I love more?" a keyboard or a ffc? The mytouch does have slightly better guts, but both are lightning fast so I would score them even.

Hackability wise I forsee the g2 problem becoming a standard in htc phones. So nobody wins there.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
G2: keyboard, stock android

MyTouch: simple docking ability, "better" specs

- Really not sure what I will end up deciding on, but I am about to leave my BB Bold for my first Android device and the few things I listed above are the biggest factors for me personally. Assuming most of us keep our phones in cases though..not sure how convenient the MyTouch docking will be...and given they are both among the fastest devices on the market, the "better" specs of the MyTouch are negligible unless you're a hardcore 3D phone gamer.. So I guess that leaves the keyboard as the main deciding factor for me.... hmmm....

timbo1083

Oct 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
I along with fredmr is coming from the BB world. While I love my BB I find that what used to make it one of a kind is no more. And considering I live in a great 4g area for tmobile I'm using the mt4g as my first phone. I stopped into the local store today to see if I could reserve one, and the nice woman let me do one better. She went to the back, pulled out a white one, which is what I wanted and the let me chill with it for a bit. Now she didn't let me power it up or anything, but I at least got to hold it and see what the weight was, how it felt. And I must say it feels awesome. And the white one looks pretty BA (my opinion of course). I cannot wait until Wed. *Only problem is my local TMob doesn't open until 1000.*

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the above post - when I tried one out at my local T-Mobile, it was white as well (mine was live and powered up however - they brought it out from some drawer or something). I didn't observe the "grip" that was described in some reviews online and think that the finish may be different in the other soft touch colors. Though you seem set on white, might be worth holding another one for a second just to see if the grip (assuming there's a difference) is enough to make a difference in your decision.

I must admit I love the styling of the G2 over the MT4G... though I wonder if the brushed aluminum batt cover is a scratch magnet. Doesn't seem like it would be as durable as the MT4G's back...

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
How/where did you speak with a rep from Costco? Was it just someone floating around in the store? Was it at the wireless booth? I've called around, and no one knows or has received any word about availability in their stores.
I spoke with a rep at the wireless booth in Costco and she is actually a manager but I may not be going the Costco route anymore because I found out that they will only be selling the phones to new customers and not upgrades so I will be getting mine from TMO. I stopped by today and they actually already sold me my case which they already have in stock so all I need is wednesday to come around and I will be camped outside the door. The rep I spoke to today also said that there will be limited quantites of the red and plum colors so if you are looking for one of those colors they are going to be hard to come by. Black will be the most manufactured color then white and red will be the least. I for one want the red one so I will be there early so I can guarantee myself one.

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Tmo store (I'm currently with VZW) and came away EXTREMELY impressed with the MT4G. It felt really solid in my hand and the UI was very very smooth and lightning quick. The screen and form factor was almost perfect for my hands. I can easily tell the difference between the screen size of the 3.8 MT4G compared to a Dinc or G2. I didn't think 1/10 would make THAt big of a difference, but it did! The G2 screen looked way better and mroe vibrant than the 4G. When I had them side by side, the G2 made the 4G screen colors look rather dull. Besides that, the 4G is in my opinion a much better device than the G2. When i held the G2, the screen dropped out of place the hinge was so loose! The rep said nobody complains about it, like it was supposed to be normal. My opinion is 4G is better.

jackdroid

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
G2 v 4G

Got a chance to use the 4G and was very impressed. Obviously there are preferences for the physical keyboard, and if you like that the G2 has the best one out there.

But my beef is with the idea that HTC Sense is a negative. If you don't like it, use ADW or Launcher pro and suddenly you're stock. If you still like some of the widgets or functionality, you can still use it. I personally don't see a downside to having it, and actually like a lot of the visual appeal it brings.

timbo1083

Oct 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
So I went back in there today about 5 est and she let me play with the white one, powered on and connected hspa. It is f*ing amazing. I'm pretty sure that anyone that says the phone doesn't look and feel great, honestly hasn't held one. The screen looked amazing, vibrant and colorful. The phone was quick to respond to everything I tried. Whether it was browsing or messaging. I wasn't able to do the video chat, or check on my earlier question of Yahoo video up and running at launch because I forgot. I was too excited that it was the phone I will have tomorrow. The white looked great with the black contrast. I only wish the back plate was the same color as the white on the trim. The phone is a little more on the heavy side, but it made me feel like it was a sturdy design. Didn't feel cheap or plastic at all.

I think this is going to be a hot commodity once the word gets out to non tmob subscribers.

Good hunting to you all tomorrow. I should be able to log in with mt4g tomorrow morning!!

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
I just got back from my local store and FINALLY got a chance to hold one that one of the reps had and I must say the feel is great and doesn't feel at all like a MyTouch phone...HTC really nailed it here and I hope that it really performs like all the reviews have said so far as I really like the phone and the UI is great and snappy for the brief 5 minutes I held it and like jackdroid said...if you don't like the bastardized Sense then just go with Launcher Pro or ADW and you have the best of both worlds. I will be there tomorrow to pick mine up most definitely.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome