1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Question Newbie-Internal Memory

So I downloaded a bunch of free apps and then I looked at internal memory. It says I have .96 left. Is this right? Is there a way to move stuff to my memory card?

I also can't figure out how to put the cool weather/clock widget that everyone has on their phones. It says I have to delete items on my home page to be able to add anything large.

Note: This is my first Android phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bayzbol44 View Post
    So I downloaded a bunch of free apps and then I looked at internal memory. It says I have .96 left. Is this right? Is there a way to move stuff to my memory card?

I also can't figure out how to put the cool weather/clock widget that everyone has on their phones. It says I have to delete items on my home page to be able to add anything large.

Note: This is my first Android phone.

I think you can move apps to your sd card, but I'm not sure how to do that yet. The HTC weather widget is pretty dang big. If you really want it, I'd delete everything off the home screen you want to put it on, add the widget, & then add other bookmarks, folders, etc so you'll know how much space you have to work with.

Only some apps are movable. But for those that are, do the following.

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Choose an App > Click Move to SD

If it's not movable the button will be grayed out.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Thanks Weirdkid. I was able to move some over, but Internal phone storage still says .93 GB. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Once it gets rooted, you will be able to delete much of the bloatware that comes with the phones. Other then that you just have to deal with not having over 1gb.

mine says .96! WTF!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Yeah mine says .93 and I just tried to download Mozilla Beta and it did not download due to insufficient room. Man I switched from a Blackberry to a Android due to lack of internal memory space. Not a good start so far.

What i don't understand is that on t-mobile's site, HTC's site, mytouch 4g box and all around the internet it says the phone has 4gb internal storage. Well someone forgot to put that in my phone i guess because i only have .96gb too. I have searched settings, took out memory card..but nothing shows the phone as having more than around 1gb of internal memory.

...So how do we access this advertised 4gb of storage?

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosic_lovr View Post
    What i don't understand is that on t-mobile's site, HTC's site, mytouch 4g box and all around the internet it says the phone has 4gb internal storage. Well someone forgot to put that in my phone i guess because i only have .96gb too. I have searched settings, took out memory card..but nothing shows the phone as having more than around 1gb of internal memory.

...So how do we access this advertised 4gb of storage?
    Probably 3gb went to the actual OS in the phone. When I had the Vibrant I didn't have full 16gb on there, it would show like 12gb.

The phone has 1gb of usable internal memory. If it says .96 then you have 960mb's of memory left. Now let me tell you, that is PLENTY of space for any app you'll ever need. Most apps are barely 2mbs. I have an Evo which only has about 300mb's I believe of available memory. I have TONS of apps and I still have about 130mb's left. The only app I have moved to the SD card is the Google Earth app because it's over 20mb's. Other than that everything is stored in the internal memory.

I completely understand the aggravation of the somewhat false advertising on the internal space. The Evo is rated at 1gb of internal but we get much less than half of that for usable space. But you guys have a huge upper hand. While it is frustrating to know that your phone that's rated at 4gb of internal space only has 1gb of usable, trust me, that's more than enough space. My girlfriend picked up a myTouch 4g the other day. I'm extremely impressed with the phone. I can honestly say the myTouch 4g is hands down one of the best performing Android phone out, and probably the best performing period. My Evo is custom rom'd and overclocked to 1.2ghz and her myTouch 4g is still faster not just in benchmarks (it actually creamed my evo in benchmarks) but also in real world usage. The camera and camcorder is also better which got me pissed to be honest lol... At the end of the day you guys have an absolutely incredible phone. I wouldn't worry about the internal memory at all. I'm not sure why bayzbol couldn't install that app.... .96gbs = 960 mbs. Might be another issue at play. She already has about 20 apps installed and she still has an ungodly amount of space left (over 900mb's left actually).
    Enjoy your phone!

btw.. i think someone mentioned it before, but you do have to be rooted in order to get rid of all that crap that the preinstalled. You can always unroot after you get rid of that garbage though.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twitter

PS3- SpiderMonkee
    Thanked by 2: