Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen Protector?

lLooking for a screen protector?
    http://www.amazon.com/REALOOK-T-Mobi...idcentral00-20
    First time I've tried them - outstanding quality, good packaging, great instructions...I'm not sure I'll ever buy screen protectors from another company especially since realook seems to be the first quality company to have screen protectors out for a device right after release.

RANT SUMMARY: DO NOT buy screen protectors from T-Mobile.

You guys running your MTs naked or are you using a screen protector? A case is out of the question for me... but I like a decent screen protector to keep fingerprints to a minimun and make cleaning the screen easier. The glass actually seems pretty good at not holding prints so far though and I assume is relatively durable (I baby my phones so not too concerned about scratching it).

I'm very unhappy because I left the stock film over the screen while my new phone charged, went out of my way to go to a TMO store before my night out...purchase a screen protector (2 pack for $15...) assuming they are good quality -- come home and apply.....and wow - absolute WORST protector I have ever seen. Doesn't cover the whole face of the phone (just the "screen part") and has absolutely TERRIBLE clarity. What a POS product. VERY disappointed TMO would offer such crap. Took it off immediately. I will be taking the second protector back to TMO tomorrow and am not leaving until I receive a full refund. I'm also going to keep the lint free cloth that came with it for the inconvenience. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to wait for Case-Mate or Boxwave to make a screen protector (they both make awesome protectors...case-mate coming out on top for better prices and the fact that my BB Bold has had a single protector on for 12 months, looking flawless still). (I see smartphone experts protectors receiving good reviews on this site -- anyone know how they compare to boxwave or case-mate?)

I'm new to the various android phones but I've been running an iphone 4 with no screen protector or any other kind of protector in harsh environments (sand storms and so on) and the glass is still scratch free.

Is android glass known to be much less scratch resistant than iphone glass?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No idea -- I recall someone suspecting this device to have "gorilla glass" or something like that, but an HTC rep was looking into confirming that.

Regardless it's glass, and scratch resistant by nature. I wanted the protector more for ease of cleaning.

Yeah I made that mistake when I got the T-Mo screen protectors for my Vibrant. They were terrible. Yes they were smudgeproof, but they made that awesome screen look very pixelated. These are the ones I'm looking at for my MT4G: 5X EZguardz HTC MyTouch 4G Invisible Screen Protector - eBay (item 330490159106 end time Nov-27-10 14:53:47 PST)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    Yeah I made that mistake when I got the T-Mo screen protectors for my Vibrant. They were terrible. Yes they were smudgeproof, but they made that awesome screen look very pixelated. These are the ones I'm looking at for my MT4G: 5X EZguardz HTC MyTouch 4G Invisible Screen Protector - eBay (item 330490159106 end time Nov-27-10 14:53:47 PST)
    I noticed the same screen protectors on Amazon for less: Amazon.com: 5-Pack EZguardZ T-Mobile HTC MyTouch 4G Screen Protectors (Ultra CLEAR)(EZguardZ Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories: Reviews, Prices & more

I didn't order, because I assume quality is poor...but for $2, I think I'll give it a shot. Hopefully case-mate or boxwave makes one soon.

EDIT: Nevermind..I will NOT be giving those a try. Small amount of water needed for installation apparently. I know screen is covered by glass and all...but I'd rather not use water. Also, the fact that they give you 5 and say the life-span of each is 2-3 months.....must be cheap. I've had my case-mate protector on my BB for a year with no wear.

Dang I wish I had seen the Amazon link earlier. I went ahead and ordered from ebay. I figure at less than a buck apiece it won't be much of a loss of they aren't that good. I also think the water thing is a gimmick. It should work just fine with a cloth and credit card.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Let us know how they work out. I was unsuccessful at returning my tmo pos protectors -ended up just giving it back and told them to give it to the next customer needing a protector so they don't waste money on this crap.

Yikes!!! That's not fair. I was able to return mine, even though the rep initially gave me grief. He thought I was trying to only return one protector, failing to see the other in the package. What was their reasoning for not letting you return yours??
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Well in my case I had actually used the protector (I didn't open the cloth included because i didn't need it since I out the protector on immediately after removing the original packaging protector). It wasn't obvious how terrible it was to me until I removed both sides of the protectors film sheets. I was able to take it off the phone then and apply the protective sheets back onto the protector and it all looked great and unopened...so I probably could have passed it off as an unopened return, but I was so pissed about the quality and the fact that I went out of my way last night to spend $15 on it before going out that I had to rant and simply told them I wanted my money back because the protector simply sucks and explained why. haha...poorly played, I know. The sales lady was just like "really?"...rather than offering a demo (and I even brought my BB with screen protector so I could show her what a screen protector is SUPPOSED to look like), I just gave up. She didn't have a protector on her phone and when I left I realized I should have told her to take it and try it on her phone right there so she'd understand.

See, that even shouldn't have made a difference! I had applied my protector & even used it for a couple days on my Vibrant. It made the amazing screen look all pixelated & awful. I realized how stupid it was & took it back. That's why the sales dude didn't see it @ first because it was stuck to the package. On your receipt, it should specifically say that you have 30 days to return accessories. They have to honor that.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Yea it did say that on the receipt and while you'd think it wouldn't apply to screen protectors, I thought I'd try anyway...I haven't given up on those $15 yet.

I ordered two of these today: Amazon.com: XtremeGUARD© T-Mobile HTC MyTouch 4G Screen Protector (Ultra CLEAR)(XTREMEGUARD BULK Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

Might be better in quality than the 5 pack based on their description...though it could just be one of the ez guard ones...who knows.

Hopefully the screen holds up scratch free until they arrive. I read one person had a tiny scratch on their MT after day one....I've also read that someone had to sent their phone back to TMO for an unrelated reason, and they decided to try scratching the screen with their keys since they were sending it back and said they were not able to scratch it.

From what I've read it is a tempered glass closer to automobile glass - better than traditional glass. General consensus seems to be that it is NOT gorilla glass (that could be good though since people have claimed gorilla glass to scratch just from normal use).

I'm thinking about carrying the BB around until the screen protector arrives...but that's no fun

So far the glass on mine has been just fine. My phone has suffered two drops already - eek. The first one was @ the gym. It fell about 3 feet off of a spin bike onto the floor. I now have a teeny tiny scratch on the rubberized coating on the back & a small ding on the bezel beside it. You really can't see it if you're not looking for it. Of course this happened while my case was in the mail. The second time my cat knocked it out of my hands & onto my tile floor. This didn't make a difference that I saw. My silicon case came in yesterday & I think it'll really help against dings & scratches. I hope the screen protectors come in soon.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

The second time my cat knocked it out of my hands & onto my tile floor.
    proof that cats are evil

Sorry to hear about the tiny markings - think of them as your own "personal touch"

I still get email/data/bbm and all on my BB - I think TMO did something weird with my data plans...they kept part of my grandfathered BB plan, got rid of some of it, and added on the unlimited data for MT. . so I'm paying the same price I was before and have complete BB access and all works on the MT as well... Hope this isn't a temporary thing - that would be awesome if this stays permanent.

That IS awesome!! The other day, just for grins, I put my sim card into an old Sidekick I have laying around. Didn't work. I don't have my BB anymore, since I sell my old phones to help pay for the new ones. I miss it sometimes, even though Android rocks my socks.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Couple more options I ran across for those interested in full body skins:
    BodyGuardz for T-Mobile myTouch 4G Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Films | Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Films

http://www.clearfreak.com/HTC_MyTouc...p/htc-mt4g.htm

--------

Also ran across these on Amazon: Amazon.com: REALOOK T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Crystal Clear Premium LCD Screen Protector 2 Pack: Cell Phones & Accessories: Reviews, Prices & more

Based on reviews of their protectors for other phones, they seem to be quality - actually went ahead and ordered these since reviews overall seem very good in general. Until I receive protectors in the mail (whatever arrives first), I think I'm going to play it safe and give my BB Bold a farewell week (I don't need the distractions of the MT at work anyway, haha).

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

i only want a screen protector that doesn't just cover the rectangle "screen" area. i want it from the microphone to the buttons at the bottom.. is this possible?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by tamosaur View Post
    i only want a screen protector that doesn't just cover the rectangle "screen" area. i want it from the microphone to the buttons at the bottom.. is this possible?
    Of course it's possible - several of the links posted above cover the entire glass. I think the best option out there is this one: Amazon.com: REALOOK T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Crystal Clear Premium LCD Screen Protector 2 Pack: Cell Phones & Accessories: Reviews, Prices & more
    tam0o likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

well....cleaned up the screen gently as I stored it away until the screen protector comes in, and sure enough once all the finger prints and marks were removed I found a hairline scratch a few mm long. Not sure if that simply came from my pocket fabric, or fingers...but that's all it has touched. Only other possibility is just from cleaning it right now - though I was gentle and used a brand new lint free cloth designed for cleaning screens...or its a birth mark.

While hardly anything to be concerned about since it can only be seen up close at certain angles with the screen off...point is - this glass is just like every other device out there and it will accumulate scratches over time. Get a screen protector on sooner rather than later.

Awww that sucks about your screen . I got my protectors tonight & the quality is actually better than I was expecting! The fit is great. I have a few small bubbles, but hopefully those get worked out. Otherwise, I'm really happy.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Awww that sucks about your screen . I got my protectors tonight & the quality is actually better than I was expecting! The fit is great. I have a few small bubbles, but hopefully those get worked out. Otherwise, I'm really happy.
    How's the feel - glassy enough? Sensitivity is the same? Any distortion? The one amazon review was very negative so I'm curious...Amazon description claims static cling though, and I found out that the Xtreme guard ones I was going to use temporarily use an adhesive...and so might realook despite their great reviews. Wont know for sure until I have the realook in hand....but the amazon description actually says it does use adhesive... we'll see.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

i got the realook one from amazon and it feels exactly how it did without a protector, imo. i don't notice any distortion at all. the hardest part was making sure there was no dust on the screen and air.
    the realook one was washable and reusable. i took it off to wash off the dust that got trapped under, causing bubbles. it is now perfectly on, no bubbles. it is a little difficult putting it on because it is such an exact cut that any slight angle will make it look off.
    i ordered it yesterday and got it today. i was extremely shocked by the promptness.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

i got the realook one from amazon and it feels exactly how it did without a protector, imo. i don't notice any distortion at all. the hardest part was making sure there was no dust on the screen and air.
    the realook one was washable and reusable. i took it off to wash off the dust that got trapped under, causing bubbles. it is now perfectly on, no bubbles. it is a little difficult putting it on because it is such an exact cut that any slight angle will make it look off.
    i ordered it yesterday and got it today. i was extremely shocked by the promptness.
    Is the realook static cling or adhesive based? If its washable you would assume static cling, right? Just confusing how their site says it uses a high quality adhesive..but reviews I saw said they were static cling.

Hopefully I get mine today (status shows it at my local post office) - they ship from CA so that's why you got it next day...mine has to make it to Chicago.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

i'm not100% sure but i'd say static cling since it was removable (left no residue) and washable without any issues. they probably just wanted to ensure their buyers that the screen securely stays on, which it does.
    when i experienced dust getting trapped between the protector and screen during the application process, i was considering using the second one but i just cleaned that one and it worked out. i didn't wait for it to completely dry tho so there was water droplets still on it but that helped me push some of the dust from under the screen.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Just applied mine. Badass screen protector, great packaging.....even including that random piece of tape if you need to lift the screen protector off. Very good instructions as well. Only ended up with a couple tolerable specs of dust...but I know if I try to remove them and lay it down again, I'll probably just end up with more dust. Maybe if I had followed step two and created a dust free environment by spraying water all over the air in my house I wouldn't have had this problem. hahaha

EDIT: The edges of the screen protector don't seem to want to go down. Maybe they'll settle down over time?

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

i should have been as smart as you lol.. i saw one dust speck and lifted it to take it out and more flew in anyways =( .. i didn't spray the water all over either =\ but i'm glad you like it! i left them a great review lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast