So, how is everyone liking their MT4G?

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How is everyone liking their phone?

This is by far the best android device I've owned for many reasons. It would be the best phone of all time IMO if it had 4-4.3 inch screen but the 3.8 fits very nicely in the hand. IMO the Evo is the best phone, the sheer size of the screen makes the experience a lot better. Even 5 months later the Evo is still at the top of the charts with it's dual LED flash, amazing support from Sprint, and being the only HTC android device in the US to have a 4.3 inch screen. The MT4G comes in very close at second though! Haha. :p

The MT4G has me stuck on actual hardware buttons now. I don't know if I could go back to capacitive buttons, they feel awkward compared and unresponsive.

Before the MT4G I had a Slide, Vibrant, and G2.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I presently have a G2, Vibrant, MT4G, Galaxy Tab, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. I find myself using the G2 more than the MT4G, mostly because of the keyboard. The G2 feels faster than the MT4G to me too, and I can't tell why that is (as I know theoretically the MT4G should be faster with more ram and a faster CPU). However the G2's camera isn't very good which is one of the things that makes it difficult to make my only phone.

What I really want:
iPhone 4's camera
LED flash
SAMOLED display
G2 style "clean" operating system
physical keyboard
higher order RAM (768 or 1024 MB)
14.4 mbps or better radio.
Usable worldwide with better than EDGE speeds.

There's no phone right now that matches all that.

What I should have done is just stuck with my iphone and gotten a galaxy tab to explore android while waiting for the ultimate android phone to appear. I had originally wanted an Evo 4G but now I'm glad I didn't go down that path. I would easily take the MT4G vs the Evo if it came down to a choice between those two and am a little curious why the Evo is so popular. A lot of Evo owners seem to be reporting that they never use 4G as it drains the battery too quickly and/or is just not available in their area and aside for the dual LED vs 1-LED flash, the MT4G seems superior in all other areas (presuming screen size is just a preference - resolution is the same between them).

ssgmun5000

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I am liking the phone alot. I have owned the Eris, Incredible and now the Mytouch 4G. I would have to agree with many reviews that would say this is the top Android phone and possibly the best phone out period. Its not perfect of course cause no phone is. I would admit that I do miss the amoled screen of the Incredible. Here are the things that stand out for me. I was at my parents house and Tmobile service is not very good there. My wife had to make a call so I remembered that this phone had wifi calling. Connected to the wireless and was able to make calls and send texts. The video chat is also awesome. My wife is pregnant and I work 12 hour rotating shifts at work. Its nice to see my wife and how she is doing visually while at work. I thought going from a 3.7 to 3.8 inch wouldnt be noticeable but it is. I think 3.8-4.0 screen is the sweet spot. For me 4.3 inch is too big. Anyways just my thought on how awesome this phone is.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the front facing camera is such a great thing, even though I haven't used it yet lol. I'm also surprised at how good the camera quality is, much much better than the G2's camera.

MyTouch 420G

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
So far so good. Wanting to get rid of the bloatware, but having a few problems with reading the root instructions. I'm sure I'll get it tho.

Love the phone.

nightmorph

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Love mine. My previous phone was a 3+ year old LG CE110 flip-phone. Android is a whole new world. Battery life on this myTouch is better than my old CE110! The shortest time I've gone between charges is 20 hours, and that's because I was doing lots of WiFi and playing Angry Birds all day. Uptime so far is 197 hours.

I do notice that it now suffers the occasional lag/stutter when playing AB or when activating WiFi+Sync and then trying to open up FriendStream, but I put it down to extremely low battery.

A few physical issues:

First, the thing is heavy. All that metal in the frame and the battery cover makes it hefty. It doesn't feel especially large in my hand, but it does weigh down my pants pocket.

Second, it's not very grippy. Maybe it's just the brick/slab formfactor, but it doesn't really want to stay in my hand. Slides around. It's not in one of those gel cases; I only have protective film on the screen.

Third, I keep finding myself grabbing it by the wrong end, or facing the wrong way. The camera protruding from the back feels much like the optical trackpad on the front, further confusing me when trying to grab it by feel. Not to mention covering the camera lenses in fingerprints.

There's no tactile sensations to differentiate one end or side from the other, which means it's always an adventure when pulling it out of my pocket. Same for the volume rocker; nothing alerts me to which end I'm pressing on when groping for it.

Other than those external issues, I've no complaints. Sense doesn't get in the way, and the rest is just getting used to the general Android OS learning curve.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Love mine. My previous phone was a 3+ year old LG CE110 flip-phone. Android is a whole new world. Battery life on this myTouch is better than my old CE110! The shortest time I've gone between charges is 20 hours, and that's because I was doing lots of WiFi and playing Angry Birds all day. Uptime so far is 197 hours.

I do notice that it now suffers the occasional lag/stutter when playing AB or when activating WiFi+Sync and then trying to open up FriendStream, but I put it down to extremely low battery.

A few physical issues:

First, the thing is heavy. All that metal in the frame and the battery cover makes it hefty. It doesn't feel especially large in my hand, but it does weigh down my pants pocket.

Second, it's not very grippy. Maybe it's just the brick/slab formfactor, but it doesn't really want to stay in my hand. Slides around. It's not in one of those gel cases; I only have protective film on the screen.

Third, I keep finding myself grabbing it by the wrong end, or facing the wrong way. The camera protruding from the back feels much like the optical trackpad on the front, further confusing me when trying to grab it by feel. Not to mention covering the camera lenses in fingerprints.

There's no tactile sensations to differentiate one end or side from the other, which means it's always an adventure when pulling it out of my pocket. Same for the volume rocker; nothing alerts me to which end I'm pressing on when groping for it.

Other than those external issues, I've no complaints. Sense doesn't get in the way, and the rest is just getting used to the general Android OS learning curve.
It weights your pants down? You can't be serious.

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Overall I like my new MT4G quite a bit.
I agree that the phone is a bit too heavy for a smart phone of this kind. The amoled screen would have been nice to have (I used Samsung Vibrant prior to this one and miss that vibrancy). Nevertheless, the MT4G is very responsive and fun to own. 8.0 of 10 starts in my book.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm something of a phone wh*re like some people here, but I've mainly been on Verizon for almost 6 years. Even though I've been a member for a while, most of my time was spent over at Droidforums.net, but there's not a lot of MyTouch 4G coverage there, so here I am.

As my sig shows, this is my 4th Android phone and it's my favorite (so far). I do miss the size of the screen on my Droid X, but didn't like MotoBlur (or NinjaBlur or whatever that crap is). Oh, and this phone is FAST. Then again, I think it's HTC as my Incredible was quite fast as well.

Loving the T-Mobile network so far. I've traveled between Orlando and Austin, TX over the past week and I get great consistent speeds. Averaging around 2.8 meg in O-Town and was getting 5 meg in Austin which is only a dream on the VZW network. Call quality is very good. No dropped calls. Want to take it on a road trip up and down the east coast to see how it will perform.

New to GSM (not counting my crappy iPhone experience), so I'm looking forward to the network improvements next year. I like that they are keeping up (well, keeping ahead) of the other networks in terms of data speeds, so big plus. HSPA+ has done me right. So, this phone is a big win for me. Now, bring on those accessories...

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
I personally love the phone and my only complaints are the battery doesn't last as long as I would like especially with a phone as feature rich as this one (and Rovio is not helping with the Angry Birds games), lack of cases (Where is Seidio's cases at?), and the docks for both car and home and I will be in heaven.

I got to try the HSPA+ network yesterday and I am really impressed with how fast it was as I got a result of 5.99 Down and 1.18 Up around Ontario, CA and I cannot wait till it gets turned on where I live in Temecula as it will be awesome to have that speed all the time.

MyTouch 420G

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
After reading the release specs today, I'm very happy I went with the MT4G instead of waiting for the Nexus S.

Sounds like a downgrade, other than the gingerbread which we'll all have by next week I assume.

nightmorph

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hah! I think it'll take longer than that for HTC to recode Sense for 2.3, let alone the time it takes them to get it to T-Mo, and for T-Mo to start rolling it out over-the-air.

Both myTouches we bought on Black Friday still only have 2.2 -- we don't even have the 2.2.1 OTA update. Still, I'm not particularly desperate to receive 2.3; 2.2 works just fine. I can't imagine how it would improve my already terrific phone.

Gingerbread should greatly improve Android tablet experiences . . . now that's something I'd like to see right away.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I personally love the phone and my only complaints are the battery doesn't last as long as I would like especially with a phone as feature rich as this one (and Rovio is not helping with the Angry Birds games), lack of cases (Where is Seidio's cases at?), and the docks for both car and home and I will be in heaven.

I got to try the HSPA+ network yesterday and I am really impressed with how fast it was as I got a result of 5.99 Down and 1.18 Up around Ontario, CA and I cannot wait till it gets turned on where I live in Temecula as it will be awesome to have that speed all the time.
That's weird. I've had my phone off since 9:45AM, at 9:15PM I'm at 51%. I'm getting amazing battery life, but part of that is due to having overclocked my device. When the screen is off I have the phone set to underclock to 368mhz.

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
^ And you know I would love to root my phone and do that as well but I am still kinda scared at doing it and bricking my phone. I'm prolly gonna wait until a solid root comes out then I may try it.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I may be weird...but I actually *like* the heft of the phone! I came from the Vibrant which just felt way too light.

I'm really loving the phone. It has everything I was missing from the Vibrant - working gps, led notification, & camera flash. I LOVE Media Room & use it often. I really can't imagine switching phones any time soon.

osutuba

The Tuba Geek
Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I am moving from the BlackBerry Curve 8320 to this phone as of Friday and I am really looking forward to it! I'll likely use it as is for a week or two before I start modding it

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I may be weird...but I actually *like* the heft of the phone! I came from the Vibrant which just felt way too light.

I'm really loving the phone. It has everything I was missing from the Vibrant - working gps, led notification, & camera flash. I LOVE Media Room & use it often. I really can't imagine switching phones any time soon.

I gotta agree with you here. I like my phone feeling sturdy and like it has solid components (read: non-plastic-y) stuff inside. It's not at all heavy to me coming from a Droid X and it feels very well weighted in my hands.

nightmorph

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I like mine even more now. Today we finally got the Android 2.2.1 OTA update for our myTouches. It took almost two weeks after we got 'em on Black Friday, but we finally have the update. This'll keep me happy until 2.3.