1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Unhappy MyTouch 4G...Great Phone/Terrible Bloatware

I just returned the Nexus S to Best Buy yesterday.
    Last night picked up a new MT4G off C/L.
    This phone is the best phone I've seen so far, better than the NS and G2.
    But I cant take the silly crap T-Mobile installed on top of Android 2.2.
    I am so disappointed.
    Going back to the G2 even though I dont use the keyboard.
    I cant take the bloatware, too used to stock Android.

I know someone will tell me to root the phone....
    but when they show mug shots of the most wanted enemy of electronics its a picture of me.
    I'd brick it sure enough if I tried that stuff.
    Hebrews 13:8

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sense-o-Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I just returned the Nexus S to Best Buy yesterday.
    Last night picked up a new MT4G off C/L.
    This phone is the best phone I've seen so far, better than the NS and G2.
    But I cant take the silly crap T-Mobile installed on top of Android 2.2.
    I am so disappointed.
    Going back to the G2 even though I dont use the keyboard.
    I cant take the bloatware, too used to stock Android.

I know someone will tell me to root the phone....
    but when they show mug shots of the most wanted enemy of electronics its a picture of me.
    I'd brick it sure enough if I tried that stuff.
    I here ya dude. I can not stand the bloatware on that thing. Like why cant you delete demos that have expired? Or an even better question, why not have the actual game instead of demos? Rooting should not be the only option to get rid of them.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by natehoch96 View Post
    I here ya dude. I can not stand the bloatware on that thing. Like why cant you delete demos that have expired? Or an even better question, why not have the actual game instead of demos? Rooting should not be the only option to get rid of them.
    The main thing to me was the terrible browser and the crappy contacts list
    with all the TMO added junk in both.

I downloaded the Skyfire browser and that fixed the browser issue, its the best
    I've used.

The contacts list and strange phone dialpad I'll have to ignore.

This phone is definitely growing on me now.
    Its the fastest I've ever used.
    I've tethered with the G1, wifi hotspotted with the Nexus One, G2,
    Nexus S, and now the MyTouch 4G, and the MT4G is by far the fastest.
    Webpages load 5 to 10 times faster on the laptop using the MT4G
    hotspot.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You mean you don't like the contacts app that HTC uses with Sense? That's actually one of my favorite parts of sense.

What don't you like about it if you don't mind me asking? And yes the built in browser is terrible. I use dolphin browser mini. It works great.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

All you have to do is root and remove the bloatware.
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1

Hrmmm...I've never had much of a problem with the stock browser so now I have to try the Dolphin Browser and the Skyfire Browser but which one to try first (decisions decisions)

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think there is an additional layer on top of the sense contacts for the MT4G. Either that or a totally different app for the 'my faves' crap. TMO knows how to ruin some awesome phones and leave hardcore users pissed (my brother has a MT3G and just recently got 2.1). Then again, I think it should be obvious due to their family oriented commercials.

If I had a MT4G *drools a bit*, I'd most definitely root it and start freezing apps with Titanium Backup Pro. If that didn't make me happy, I'd flash a new ROM.

Droid2 with Fission
    Droid 3 XT862 working on T-Mobile using XT883 radio.img and custom build.prop

Quote Originally Posted by BenSWoodruff View Post
    I think there is an additional layer on top of the sense contacts for the MT4G. Either that or a totally different app for the 'my faves' crap. TMO knows how to ruin some awesome phones and leave hardcore users pissed (my brother has a MT3G and just recently got 2.1). Then again, I think it should be obvious due to their family oriented commercials.

If I had a MT4G *drools a bit*, I'd most definitely root it and start freezing apps with Titanium Backup Pro. If that didn't make me happy, I'd flash a new ROM.

Droid2 with Fission
    You have to think about this from a business approach. The "hardcore" make up only a few percent of the total sales. 95% of the sales come from regular consumers, people who just want a working smartphone and could care less about developers. This phone targets a huge market audience because it has stellar hardware AND a user friendly overlay with a lot of great built in features. If this phone had pure stock android it wouldn't have sold as much because first time buyers will be turned off, it's not user friendly at all and isn't nearly as polishes as Sense or IOS. If you consider yourself "hardcore" all you have to do is root and install a custom rom. My MT4G is running stock gingerbread and overclocked to 1.8 GHz. The general consumer doesn't know about that.

Also, mySense has less bloatware than regular Sense does. It uses up far less ram, I've used both on this phone for a good amount of time.
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1
    Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    You have to think about this from a business approach. The "hardcore" make up only a few percent of the total sales. 95% of the sales come from regular consumers, people who just want a working smartphone and could care less about developers. This phone targets a huge market audience because it has stellar hardware AND a user friendly overlay with a lot of great built in features. If this phone had pure stock android it wouldn't have sold as much because first time buyers will be turned off, it's not user friendly at all and isn't nearly as polishes as Sense or IOS. If you consider yourself "hardcore" all you have to do is root and install a custom rom. My MT4G is running stock gingerbread and overclocked to 1.8 GHz. The general consumer doesn't know about that.

Also, mySense has less bloatware than regular Sense does. It uses up far less ram, I've used both on this phone for a good amount of time.
    I agree 100%. If faves bothers you then don't add anyone to faves.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    You mean you don't like the contacts app that HTC uses with Sense? That's actually one of my favorite parts of sense.

What don't you like about it if you don't mind me asking? And yes the built in browser is terrible. I use dolphin browser mini. It works great.
    There were 19 added "contacts" that were in the way, but I finally
    figured it out.
    I went to contacts, pressed the menu button, the view, and unchecked
    the 9 T-Mobile contacts and the 11 Sim contacts and it cleaned all that crap up.

The phone user interface is quite different and takes some getting used to also.

I've tried 3 or 4 different browsers and find that Skyfire is the one I'm
    most comfortable using, although I have Opera Mini for one business
    website that wont let me log in on any other browser I've tried.
    But I dont care for Opera overall, I just use it because I have to,
    to access the one site.

The MyTouch 4G is growing on me the more I use it.
    The Nexus One is lonely and collecting dust waiting for Gingerbread.
    I did win a G2 on Ebay for $7.16 (how'd that happen ?) before I
    started liking this phone, but I dont know if the seller will ship it.
    Won it Saturday and still havent received a tracking number. Who knows.