MT4G freezes every time after reboot or factory reset, I'm stuck, please HELP

vess

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure whether I should post this under MyTouch 4G or under Adroid Froyo in general, so please accept my appologies if not in the right place.

Ok, I know I am a noob to android phones and to this forum, but I already spent many hours online researching the problem and didn't find anything that helped.

So, here's what happened:

I got my MyTouch 4G about 2 weeks ago unlocked. I wanted to get rid of a lot of the garbage that came with it, so I followed the steps and successfully rooted it and then removed several of the preinstalled apps with Titanium backup. So far, no noticeable problems.

Then I wasn't happy with how quickly my battery was draining, so I installed Advanced Task Killer, and set it to automatically kill certain apps periodically.

A few days later when I was trying to add a widget to the desktop, I got the familiar to some message "Sorry, com.htc.launcher has stopped working". Everything else was still working fine on the phone. I researched the problem and the first proposed solution to clear the data for the process from Settings/Applications, did not help. The second proposed solution was to do a factory reset. So, I rebooted with volume down + power pressed together and chose factory reset.

After 4-5 min, I got into the welcome screen where I did the initial setup. After this was complete, the phone checked off that everything was setup correctly (apps, widgets, etc). Then it started loading the desktop and the message "loading..." appeared. This is where it froze. :(

Basically, I can't get past the "loading..." message on the home screen, no desktop ever loads, and I have access to nothing other than the camera key.

I let it stay for hours to see if it will eventuall load, but nothing happened. I also rebooted and tried factory reset many times and it always get stuck at the same point. I tried all of the above with and without a SIM card, with and without a memory card - basically I exhausted all possible combinations but I always get the same frozen "loading..." screen.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I feel helpless rebooting or reseting the phone from the phone itself because it always get stuck. Is there a way to factory reset from a computer?

Thank you so much if you can help me with any advice and Happy New Year!

Vess

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you follow the steps on un-rooting your device. Note: Unroot and then do a reset of the device.

vess

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you follow the steps on un-rooting your device. Note: Unroot and then do a reset of the device.

Hi, thank you for your message. Could you point me to instrunctions on how to un-root the device? I have no idea how this is done, but my concern is that if it involves accessing anything on your phones such as apps, it is not going to work as the phone is just frozen at the "loading..." screen and nothing is working except the camera key.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thank you for your message. Could you point me to instrunctions on how to un-root the device? I have no idea how this is done, but my concern is that if it involves accessing anything on your phones such as apps, it is not going to work as the phone is just frozen at the "loading..." screen and nothing is working except the camera key.
Wow, I didnt read your full message. When you hold down the power and volume down button - look for recovery mode. Instead of resetting, or reboot the phone try that.

vess

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I didnt read your full message. When you hold down the power and volume down button - look for recovery mode. Instead of resetting, or reboot the phone try that.

I tried booting into Recovery mode and it just displays the recovery icon in the middle of the screen and freezes there. Basically, I cannot log into the phone at all. I waited 10 min and nothing changes.

The way I see it (and I hope I'm wrong on this), there's nothing I can do from the phone itself. Can un-rooting be done from a computer?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried booting into Recovery mode and it just displays the recovery icon in the middle of the screen and freezes there. Basically, I cannot log into the phone at all. I waited 10 min and nothing changes.

The way I see it (and I hope I'm wrong on this), there's nothing I can do from the phone itself. Can un-rooting be done from a computer?
Did you save the files to your computer. If not, then there are Information available for that purpose. I just don't have the link. Do a quick search on how to Unroot your phone using your computer.

Good luck.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You uninstalled something you shouldn't have. Go over to XDA and find the stock unmodified Tom for this device and install it. A factory reset won't do you much good, its not a true factory reset.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
This might not be the reason you are having troubles, but don't use a Task Killer. Using a task killer in the wrong way will do more harm then good, its better to just not use one at all.

vess

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
You uninstalled something you shouldn't have. Go over to XDA and find the stock unmodified Tom for this device and install it. A factory reset won't do you much good, its not a true factory reset.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Thanks. But I am not able to install a new Rom. Basically, I can't even get into Recovery mode during boot. When I choose Recovery I get the "!" sign and that's it. I read somewhere that this what happens if you've never flashed your Rom. I'm still stuck.

vess

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Did you save the files to your computer. If not, then there are Information available for that purpose. I just don't have the link. Do a quick search on how to Unroot your phone using your computer.

Good luck.

Rushrl, I don't know how silly I look but I haven't been able to find anywhere any info on how to unroot MT4G with a computer. I saw some mention of an SDK (presumably installed on a computer), but I never found any clear directions on where to find that and how to do it. :(

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you try flashing a different rom on your phone from recovery? Seems like you inadvertently deleted something you shouldn't have. Flashing a rom will erase your phone but it will also solve the problem.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

vess

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Did you try flashing a different rom on your phone from recovery? Seems like you inadvertently deleted something you shouldn't have. Flashing a rom will erase your phone but it will also solve the problem.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

I can't boot into Recovery to try that. When I choose Recovery from the boot menu, I get the nasty "!" sign and it doesn't go any further.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Pull the battery out and boot into recovery when it powers up.

Make sure fastboot is turned off. Settings>applications>make sure the checkmark next to fastboot is gray.

Turn the phone off (select shut down). Hold the volume down and power button at the same time.

Go into recovery and flash a ROM (make sure you have one loaded on your SD card first).

vess

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Pull the battery out and boot into recovery when it powers up.

Make sure fastboot is turned off. Settings>applications>make sure the checkmark next to fastboot is gray.

Turn the phone off (select shut down). Hold the volume down and power button at the same time.

Go into recovery and flash a ROM (make sure you have one loaded on your SD card first).

I think I am doing exactly as you describe (and yes, the last time I was running my phone I did set up fastboot off), but when I go into Recovery I get the "!" screen and I am stuck. I am not given a screen where I can choose a ROM to flash.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I think I am doing exactly as you describe (and yes, the last time I was running my phone I did set up fastboot off), but when I go into Recovery I get the "!" screen and I am stuck. I am not given a screen where I can choose a ROM to flash.

Sounds like you don't have a custom recovery. When you go into recovery and get ! i beleive thats the stock recovery that won't do you any good. You need to grab the custom recovery for your phone and adb flash it.
My Brain Hurts: ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery Image

vess

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you don't have a custom recovery. When you go into recovery and get ! i beleive thats the stock recovery that won't do you any good. You need to grab the custom recovery for your phone and adb flash it.
My Brain Hurts: ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery Image

Yes, I'm starting to realize that now my only option is to do flash recovery through adb. So, I've spent all night last night trying to understand what adb is. I installed and updated the sdk, but my adb shell doesn't see my phone as a listed device, so I'm stuck at this point. And yes, I read probably 5 tutorials on installing various usb drivers/ modifying sdk ini files/etc to make my computer recognize the phone as an adb device. I tried everything that was suggested but no luck so far. :(

I've spent nearly 30 hours so far since this whole disaster started and although I haven't made much progress, I've learned quite a few things.

mnd_80

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Vess,
I'm being in your trouble and cannot find the sollution. Could you advise how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance

samlin94

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: MT4G freezes every time after reboot or factory reset, I'm st

i am stuck too...someone please help. can't get past "clicking" on system reset