View Poll Results: Which of these statements apply to you?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have the tethering plan and I ordered it from T-Mobile.

4 15.38%
  • I have the tethering plan because T-Mobile put it on when I used the tethering features.

0 0%
  • I do not have the tethering plan but the Hotspot and USB Tethering features still work.

19 73.08%
  • I do not have the tethering plan and the Hotspot and USB Tethering features do not work.

3 11.54%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sense-o-Maniac

Question Who has the tethering plan for the myTouch 4G?

So I have another thread about if the myTouch 4G can tether for free or if you need a tethering plan, but that sparked another question of mine. Does anyone have the tethering plan from T-Mobile for the myTouch 4G? I have not heard of anyone having the tethering plan and am interested on how many people actually have it. And if you do, did you order it from T-Mobile or did T-Mobile force it on when you used the Wi-Fi Hotspot App/USB Tethering feature (people have said that T-Mobile told them they would do that). So do any of you have it? Was it forced on or did you order it?
    Last edited by natehoch96; 01-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock... for now

Great question. I am on the famiy plan, and I just ordered the tethering plan for my wife and not me, since I won't need it much. My wife also has a WiFi only iPad for the tethering. When we do long family trips, it's nice to have a laptop with wifi going.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sense-o-Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by DrKrizzle View Post
    Great question. I am on the famiy plan, and I just ordered the tethering plan for my wife and not me, since I won't need it much. My wife also has a WiFi only iPad for the tethering. When we do long family trips, it's nice to have a laptop with wifi going.
    I'm assuming you have unlimited data and not 200 MB correct? Well regardless, T-Mobile confuses me so much on this. I don't have the tethering plan but I can still use the features at no charge. I have heard so many mixed answers on this subject. You would think if it was free T-Mobile would tell you upfront that you dont need the plan, right?

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock... for now

In order to get tethering, you have to first get the unlimited data plan. I would say don't pay for it and see how it goes. I think I might even cancel my wifes tethering plan after reading this.

I know i have been tethering via usb on my Motorola cliq for a year now even had t mobile help me get it setup FREE I now have the mt4g and tether with that as a matter of fact it is my main internet service as long as I don't hit the 5gig soft data limit I am fine with tethering

I honestly cant even find mention of a tethering plan on t-mobiles website but I do find their hotspot plan which is just for when you are at certain hotels and what not that have a t-mobile hotspot you can use it

I just picked up the MT4G and I was asked did I want to add "tethering". I asked was it free, he said $14 I think and then he saw my face. So there you go. I've wondered what it was for as HTC has a driver download for it. Let me know how it is exactly used. Thank you.

OK, So both my girl and I have mytouch 4g phones from tmobile, we have the unlimited data plan (req) and unlimited tethering ($15)... OR at least they claim unlimited. I did this so I dont have to pay for internet at home. I can just tether with 4g right? WRONG. They limit the 4g to 5gig of data, after you reach the max they convert it to DIAL UP SPEED, archaic dial up. How much is that really? Nothing if you download music, Youtube or watch Netflix. For me with was just 2 weeks of average use. Tmobile claims AT&T only provides 2gig and then charges for additional use.

So my girl complained at the store and a tmobile guy told her there is an app she can download that will allow her to have truely unlimited 4g tethering, since the app prevents Tmobile from being able to track usage.
    IS THIS TRUE? I cant find the app, does anyone know where to find it?
    Im super close to discontinueing my tmobile service and just get internet at home.
    Thanks kind people
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Exclamation

Why would you pay for tethering when its free already ?

Hebrews 13:8

I have the $20 preferred Android plan if that matters with unlimited data and I tethered a lot yesterday but I have never exceeded the 5GB cap.

Quote Originally Posted by rilo View Post
    OK, So both my girl and I have mytouch 4g phones from tmobile, we have the unlimited data plan (req) and unlimited tethering ($15)... OR at least they claim unlimited. I did this so I dont have to pay for internet at home. I can just tether with 4g right? WRONG. They limit the 4g to 5gig of data, after you reach the max they convert it to DIAL UP SPEED, archaic dial up. How much is that really? Nothing if you download music, Youtube or watch Netflix. For me with was just 2 weeks of average use. Tmobile claims AT&T only provides 2gig and then charges for additional use.

So my girl complained at the store and a tmobile guy told her there is an app she can download that will allow her to have truely unlimited 4g tethering, since the app prevents Tmobile from being able to track usage.
    Im super close to discontinueing my tmobile service and just get internet at home.
    Thanks kind people
    It's true that AT&T charges you if you go over 2gig. My bff has an iPhone 4 & can barely do anything on it. T-Mo DOES have unlimited data. This is not a lie. It's just that they throttle those that abuse this. The throttle only lasts til the next billing cycle. T-Mo has their own web plan, as well. Why would you cancel T-Mo just to get internet @ home? Then you wouldn't have phone service...

As for the hotspot/tether question, it is my understanding that as long as you don't use the hotspot function TOO much, it's free. I've used it a half dozen times or so, for about 20-40 minutes apiece. None of that was used to download media, so I didn't use much data. I was never charged.

It seems like some may be confusing tethering with the hotspot feature.

My understanding is tethering is free, as long as you don't abuse it.

WiFi hotspot costs extra. I haven't tried using it, so maybe the same rules as above apply.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr View Post
    It seems like some may be confusing tethering with the hotspot feature.

My understanding is tethering is free, as long as you don't abuse it.

WiFi hotspot costs extra. I haven't tried using it, so maybe the same rules as above apply.
    Again, see my post directly before yours. I've used wifi hotspot about a half dozen times for several minutes apiece and have not been charged extra for it. If I abused it, like used up my allotted 5gig every month by using the hotspot feature they would most likely make me pay for the service.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm on CM7 and have used the hotspot and tethering feature more than once (even for an extended gaming session on my PS3) and haven't been charged anything extra for it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Wink

I've been using tethering (PDANet) since I had my G1 almost every day.
    Moved on to the Nexus One and used the wifi hotspot almost every day,
    for hours a day at work, I might add.
    Sometimes all day.
    Then last year I got the MyTouch 4G and have continued wifi hotspotting
    just about daily at work for hours.

Now all I do is surf and email, I dont download Netfix or anything,
    but I've been doing this for years and have never been charged.

So stop worrying.

Hebrews 13:8
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I've been using tethering (PDANet) since I had my G1 almost every day.
    Moved on to the Nexus One and used the wifi hotspot almost every day,
    for hours a day at work, I might add.
    Sometimes all day.
    Then last year I got the MyTouch 4G and have continued wifi hotspotting
    just about daily at work for hours.

Now all I do is surf and email, I dont download Netfix or anything,
    but I've been doing this for years and have never been charged.

So stop worrying.

Agreed. As long as you don't abuse it you should be ok.

Sent from my myTouch 4G
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    Agreed. As long as you don't abuse it you should be ok.

Sent from my myTouch 4G
    I tether pretty often and never had an issue with it. I am assuming abusing it would be going over 5GB? I wonder if they would just add the $14.99/mo tethering plan if you exceeded your 5GB cap? I have read the terms and conditions and they also state they can 'stop' your data service instead of throttling.

Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    Again, see my post directly before yours. I've used wifi hotspot about a half dozen times for several minutes apiece and have not been charged extra for it. If I abused it, like used up my allotted 5gig every month by using the hotspot feature they would most likely make me pay for the service.
    I know - I saw the post...and that's one of the reasons I posted what I did. It seems like people are confusing tethering with WiFi hotspot...and it seemed like you were combining the two together in your post when you said "As for the hotspot/tether question, it is my understanding that as long as you don't use the hotspot function TOO much, it's free." -you started off by saying hotspot/tether, but then went on to say if you don't use HOTSPOT too much, it's free...so I wasn't sure if you meant tethering - and someone earlier mentioned $14.99 for tethering plan, when T-Mobile site used to say $14.99 for Mobile Hotspot..

I know the two are essentially the same thing (minus the fact that one needs a cable and the other can connect up to 4 devices) - but T-Mobile has been (to me at least) very specific in saying tethering is free, and hotspot is extra. Maybe they viewed it as "one line vs multiple lines"... you can't exactly just add a user to your cell plan without any extra costs - so maybe they saw the potential of multiple users on hotspot data in the same way...who knows.

Anyways...I'm guessing the confusion is because it seems like TMo calls it a "tethering" plan now, which would cover tethering and hotspot....so they may not distinguish between the two like they did back in November when I looked into it/spoke with reps.

Who knows - nobody pays the same for the same plan and everyone seems to have a custom plan anyway so prices never seem to really matter. Ahhh that's what I'll miss about T-Mobile...

Default Re: Who has the tethering plan for the myTouch 4G?

Quote Originally Posted by rilo View Post

Thanks kind people
    Tether -