Anybody considered HTC Incredible before getting ther MT4G?

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought I'd ask this question here, too, just in case the OTHER forum is slightly biased, as they should. :)

I am still trying to decide which one to get. Assuming network carrier is irrelevant to me (I've got good coverage from both), is one phone better than the other in any way? The one thing that I do like about MT4G is the ability to use it in Europe because it's GSM. But from plain looks/attractiveness perspective, I think Incredible is a bit nicer. What about functionality/bugginess - are they about even?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd ask this question here, too, just in case the OTHER forum is slightly biased, as they should. :)

I am still trying to decide which one to get. Assuming network carrier is irrelevant to me (I've got good coverage from both), is one phone better than the other in any way? The one thing that I do like about MT4G is the ability to use it in Europe because it's GSM. But from plain looks/attractiveness perspective, I think Incredible is a bit nicer. What about functionality/bugginess - are they about even?

If you're taking about the original incredible this phone is better. Newer snapdragon is faster, has a better gpu, and is more battery efficient.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

Reactions: Pete7874

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The incredible is pretty outdated now. Go for the MT4G. I know someone with an incredible who is very jealous of my phone.

If you haven't seen a mt4g in person, check it out. Besides the speaker grill, I really like the looks.

As far as your original question, no - never considered it. Thought about the evo at one point, but refused to leave t-mobile. I knew t-mobile had good stuff coming from that leaked roadmap and waited forever for "project emerald".

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
So, are you glad you switched to MT4G or would you say an Incredible with an extended battery would be better?

You see where I am, don't you? Even with an extended battery, that would make that funky backside even thicker, it wasn't that great for me. I went with a DX with the quickness.

Besides, the MT4G is such a better phone and data speeds rock in my location. And you also might consider if you are wanting to go VZW and pay more for your service or go with TMO and I don't know about your area, but you could risk potential coverage issues.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So, are you glad you switched to MT4G or would you say an Incredible with an extended battery would be better?

I'm not sure what your definition of "better" is, but the specs don't lie. Unless you really dislike the looks of the MT4G or have terrible T-Mobile coverage, it's the obvious choice - especially since you want something that works overseas. I actually really dislike the looks of my friends Incredible backplate. So it's all a matter of opinion in the looks department.

If you want the Incredible for Verizon's network, then I would hold off and wait for their next big release, like the HTC Thunderbolt.

Again, all really depends what you are looking for in a phone -- you seem to want the best, however you seem to be having trouble accepting the fact that the Incredible is not the better performer, and the fact that the Incredible was released way back in April of last year (meaning it's almost at the 1 year mark, which seems like an eternity in the cell phone world).

EDIT: Also, I see you said you have good coverage from both....so besides looks, you really have no reason not to go for the MT4G.

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well... I think I spoke too soon. T-M coverage at my house is weird... normally it'll show 3 bars, but once every 10-20 mins it'll go down to nothing, with the phone displaying message that only limited connectivity is available. A minute later I'll have 3 bars again. Strangely, when I had AT&T, something similar was happening, although less frequently.

Sigh... I wonder if there is any sort of booster/amplifier that I can get for the house.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
You could move. Haha...jk
That sucks, nothing you can do that I know of...besides try verizon, or use wifi calling and internet when at home if it works elsewhere.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Also - if it matters to you, take a look at my sticky here and verify you got a "good" screen in case you end up keeping it. Much easier to exchange in remorse period.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go with the Dinc now if you're on Verizon. Go for the upcoming HTC Thunderbolt. That phone looks awesome and is 4G. Of course Verizon will charge extra for 4G. I do believe the my touch 4g is the best android phone on T-Mobile next to the G2. I've had mine since Christmas and am loving it. Its so cool and a huge upgrade from the BlackBerry Curve 8900.

I actually did consider the Incredible and was willing to go to Verizon but luckily I came to my senses because Verizon is so much more money. The Dinc will be a year old in April. I just can't see buying it now because I know I'd be kicking myself like crazy once the Thunderbolt comes out.

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
The money part is not that big of a deal for me. My company will be footing majority of it.

Thunderbolt seems to be as big as Droid X, which I dismissed due to size (too big!), so I'm not really interested in it. Besides, I need a phone NOW! Looks like I might look at Droid 2 again...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well... I think I spoke too soon. T-M coverage at my house is weird... normally it'll show 3 bars, but once every 10-20 mins it'll go down to nothing, with the phone displaying message that only limited connectivity is available. A minute later I'll have 3 bars again. Strangely, when I had AT&T, something similar was happening, although less frequently.

Sigh... I wonder if there is any sort of booster/amplifier that I can get for the house.

If you have wifi the phone has wifi calling (if you got the OTA update already) and that will solve your coverage issues at home. Is that the only place that you have the issues? Seems like it might be more related to your house than the service since you had the same issue on AT&T.

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I do have the wifi option. Haven't tried it yet, though. Is the voice quality indistinguishable from normal calling?

I wish I did not have to leave the wifi on though as it'll drain the battery quicker, but if I'm home, I can always charge it easily.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I do have the wifi option. Haven't tried it yet, though. Is the voice quality indistinguishable from normal calling?

I wish I did not have to leave the wifi on though as it'll drain the battery quicker, but if I'm home, I can always charge it easily.

Actually wifi use less battery. I can get 2 days if use on wifi with wifi calling enabled. Sound quality is as good as landline, better than when on the network.

And your wifi data is probably faster than the network.

Sent from my myTouch 4G