MT4g or Evo?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm probably going to get a biased answer, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I'm ditching my iPhone due to sub-par AT&T service, (I live in a suburb with thousands of iPhones active) and want to switch to Sprint or Tmobile to save some money and get better service. (Yeah, yeah, I know the iPhone is coming to Verizon, but you have to pay out the ass for their plans)

Basically, my choices are the Evo or MT4g. I bought the Evo on Wednesday and liked the phone, but there's a WiMax bubble around my street so I can't really get any signal in my house. I did notice some stuttering under heavy load, but my iPhone does that too.

I'm interested in the MT4g since it has the 2nd gen processor, but also has a smaller form-factor. Don't get me wrong, the Evo's screen is gigantic and I loved it, but I'm not sure if I would keep loving it for the next two years. I'm good with sense, and like it better than stock Android, but I also know I can always root and change roms if I want.

Then there's always the Nexus S. That is a far-fetched option, but I'm considering it.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Nexus s is a letdown imo. Evo is outdated - a former evo user now mt4g user has stated that the mt4g blows away the evo performance wise. Honestly though...for what most use a cell for, either will do. Do you get tmo 4g?

Last edited:

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry - didn't mean to imply I was a former evo user. That was a quote I've read from someone else. I personally have never touched an evo. I came from a bb bold 9000.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Nexus s is a letdown imo. Evo is outdated - a former evo user now mt4g user has stated that the mt4g blows away the evo performance wise. Honestly though...for what most pere use a cell for, either will do. Do you get tmo 4g?

Yeah. I have full T-mo 4G at my house, whereas I'm in an out-of-building-only WiMax bubble. (my area is in the middle of WiMax upgrades though, so that should be fixed soon)

I guess the biggest issue is that T-mobile's overall coverage is pretty iffy, and I'm not quite sure where I'm going to end up living and working over the next two years. (just got my teaching certificate, and I could end up working in a rural area)

My biggest issue with the Evo is the fact that it is older hardware. When I had it I loved the hardware, and the speed wasn't too bad with the processor. But I also remember what it was like after using the Nexus One (which has the same processor) for six months and all the lag I would get when it was loaded with apps, etc. Plus, I'd have to have the Evo for two years, and the hardware is already 7 months old. I know that's not a huge deal since that same processor is being used in a bunch of new smartphones, but I'm nitpicky like that. All that being said, I did love that gigantic screen for the time I had it.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
in my opinion as far as phones go i like the evo because i just really like htc sense but as far as networks go where i live sprint sucks. ive never had sprint but the guy i work with has it and it always dropped calls and wasn't clear so he switched to Verizon but another one of my friends has had tmo for a while and she loves it. never had problems. and plus didn't tmo announce they doubled there 4g speeds at ces?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
OP: I would go for T-Mobile because you'll get a lot more for your buck. Of course that doesn't mean anything if coverage is crappy. Check out T-Mobile's coverage along with Sprint's for your area and ask friends and family who have their service. The myTouch 4G is a newer phone than the Evo so it might see more updates. If you decide to go with T-Mobile I highly recommend the 1500 Even More plan which is currently a promotional plan and will not be offered for much longer.

Unsupported Browser

Good Luck!

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If your going to choose based on phones I would say the myTouch 4G. The Evos hardware wont last for another two years.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Evo is a great phone but the hardware is old, the mt 4g is nice, but t mobile sucks around here, I'd get it on any other carrier

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up picking up a black MT4G tonight from Best Buy Mobile. Sweetest part: BBM had it on sale for $99, so I ended up saving $100 for newer and better hardware.

So far I'm loving it. Unlike many, I'm a fan of sense, and I actually sort of like the MyTouch version of it. (I could live without the stupid squircles around the apps and the bloatware), but I like it regardless. Plus, the MT4G version is a lot more updated visually, and I dig it. I made the right choice for sure!

Side note: T-mobile almost lost me as a customer tonight because of their piss-poor customer service. I had them as a carrier for about six months with the Nexus one, but left in July to get an iPhone 4. My account was paid in full by the end of August, but those clowns didn't actually close my account until LAST MONTH! That was within their 90 day period for not coming back after porting out (even though it wasn't really) so they were refusing to allow me to port back over unless I added a new line to the account and kept both lines active for the full 2 years. After about an hour of going back and forth with different departments on the phone, my awesome best buy guy was able to have them port my number out and set up the new line over the phone. I was *THIS* close to walking out with a Droid X or Droid 2 global.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you decided to go with the MT4G. I'm the user that had an EVO for 5 months before coming over to T-Mo for the MT4G. I can't be happier. Sprint and T-Mo have good service in my area (i'm not in a WIMAX are or HSPA+ right now) so that wasn't an issue. I'm saving money, getting better (or the same) service, and have a much better phone than the EVO.

As far as versions of Sense go I mostly like the version on the MT4G better, except for the stupid circles you mentioned. Those are dumb.

But I'm an even bigger fan of Launcher Pro + and ADW EX. They are just awesome.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you decided to go with the MT4G. I'm the user that had an EVO for 5 months before coming over to T-Mo for the MT4G. I can't be happier. Sprint and T-Mo have good service in my area (i'm not in a WIMAX are or HSPA+ right now) so that wasn't an issue. I'm saving money, getting better (or the same) service, and have a much better phone than the EVO.

As far as versions of Sense go I mostly like the version on the MT4G better, except for the stupid circles you mentioned. Those are dumb.

But I'm an even bigger fan of Launcher Pro + and ADW EX. They are just awesome.

Yeah, I'm going to try those out.

I let my dad see the phone (both him and my mom have Blackberry 8900s on Tmo), and the first thing he noticed was how fast the phone was, and the second was how fast the network is now.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah someone on a Blackberry (unless it's 3G) will have no idea how fast the network has gotten. That's one more thing to add to the list of things that suck about Blackberry's LOL.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Another question:

Is a class 4 microSD card good enough? I picked up a class 4 PNY card at best buy for $50, but wasn't sure. (when I had my nexus one, I had a lot of troubles with my card)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
That should be fine. I have a class 6, but unless you're running a kernel that relies on the SD card or you're doing A LOT of file transfers class 4 is more than fine.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah someone on a Blackberry (unless it's 3G) will have no idea how fast the network has gotten. That's one more thing to add to the list of things that suck about Blackberry's LOL.

I ran a BB Bold 9000 (had 3G turned off because I bought a Rogers (Canada) version that allowed me to -- but I got by with EDGE easily for the great majority of what I did. Of course there was never that perfect browser....Opera mini was my favorite combination of speed and functionality, while the native BB browser was so convenient with shortcuts to access and use but yes, 2G speeds were TERRIBLE on the native browser... If there was a data heavy page or something I needed rendered closest to a PC -- BOLT browser was the way to go - fastest and most accurate - but zooming was a pain to use and text wasn't resized so lots of scrolling was involved.

Anyways - point is, while network speeds are amazing now - I was able to get by. If someone took away 3G/4G from me right now, I might be able to survive. My list of things that suck about BBs isn't very long.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm having second thoughts, haha. Specifically, on whether this or the G2 would be the better choice. Biggest reason is hackability; the G2 just has more resources out there for it.

EDIT: I should also note the other reason; the amount of accessories for the MT4G that are quality sucks right now. The G2, thanks to its place in the android food chain, has many, many more.

Last edited:

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Can't go wrong with either phone - but what accessories are you looking for? Just better quality cases? Don't forget the mt4g is a newer device and things will take time.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Can't go wrong with either phone - but what accessories are you looking for? Just better quality cases? Don't forget the mt4g is a newer device and things will take time.

Yeah, quality cases mainly. That and the more I see of the G2's keyboard I like it.

Here's a question though: is there any way to get a stock keyboard on the MT4g? I downloaded the gingerbread version for 2.2, but Sense is causing it to force close.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, quality cases mainly. That and the more I see of the G2's keyboard I like it.

Here's a question though: is there any way to get a stock keyboard on the MT4g? I downloaded the gingerbread version for 2.2, but Sense is causing it to force close.

I switched from the G2 to the myTouch 4G for one reason, the front facing camera. Sooner rather than later Google will update gtalk to do video chat, and I didn't wanna get left in the rain.

As far as hackability what do you want out of it? We have ROM's, we have themes, we have kernels (that let us go to 1700mhz!). What else is left? If you're worried about Cyanogen Mod 7 don't, it will get ported over. The CM team seems to have a love for HTC phones. It usually takes a little while, and this phone has only been out for 2 months. The amount of stuff available this soon after launch is actually pretty amazing. The G2 might have more because it's been out longer, but the MT4G is definitely the "higher-end" phone on T-Mo.

As far as cases go I can say that I'm a little disappointed too, but you can still find some decent ones. The AC store actually has some nice ones. I wouldn't expect an otter box or anything like that (they are really picky about what they make cases for), but we have a decent selection.

As for the keyboard I'm honestly not sure. I like swype so I haven't tried putting the GB keyboard on it yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1