Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery Life Getting Better

I was initially disappointed in the battery life of our two MyTouch 4g phones, and I do wish they would last longer under heavy use. But after having the phones for a couple of weeks and making some of the changes inside the settings (none drastic) the battery life has greatly improved.

Photo below: My wife's phone has been on and used for 1 day 5 1/2 hours and still has 56 percent battery life remaining. We have the data set to auto select, gps off, bluetooth turned on and off as needed and USB debugging set to on. Her screen is set to auto brightness. Wifi off. She doesn't play with her phone, she uses it when she needs it. It is used with our business and she used it pretty heavy this morning receiving phone calls.

My phone on the other hand is down to 54 percent after 11 hours but I have been playing with it most all day, listening to music and using wifi for the web.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Oh, and I do restart our phones right after I take them off the charger.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Also take into account that you use the phone more when you first get it from setting things up and getting accustomed to the phone. The first few days I had my phone my battery lasted 4-6 hours a day from tweaking and setting everything up the way I wanted it. Now I get 12 hours of heavy usage.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'd say that has a lot to do with it. The first week I was a crazy man playing with mine, but my wife, who isn't as interested, messed with it very little and her battery still drained pretty quickly to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Also take into account that you use the phone more when you first get it from setting things up and getting accustomed to the phone. The first few days I had my phone my battery lasted 4-6 hours a day from tweaking and setting everything up the way I wanted it. Now I get 12 hours of heavy usage.

Quote Originally Posted by sardian View Post
    I was initially disappointed in the battery life of our two MyTouch 4g phones, and I do wish they would last longer under heavy use. But after having the phones for a couple of weeks and making some of the changes inside the settings (none drastic) the battery life has greatly improved.

Photo below: My wife's phone has been on and used for 1 day 5 1/2 hours and still has 56 percent battery life remaining. We have the data set to auto select, gps off, bluetooth turned on and off as needed and USB debugging set to on. Her screen is set to auto brightness. Wifi off. She doesn't play with her phone, she uses it when she needs it. It is used with our business and she used it pretty heavy this morning receiving phone calls.

My phone on the other hand is down to 54 percent after 11 hours but I have been playing with it most all day, listening to music and using wifi for the web.
    Yeah the phone definitely has excellent battery life. I am patiently waiting for a larger capacity battery to pop up in the Android Central Store. Not quite sure why there isn't one listed on here yet.

Nice. Not very surprising though based on those battery stats in the photo.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr View Post
    Nice. Not very surprising though based on those battery stats in the photo.
    Right, that's why I posted my percentage remaining also. I mainly posted this for the folks that who say the battery is dead after a few hours with little to no use. My thoughts are they have something going on in the background eating up their battery.

I think that if she didn't use it at all it would standby for several days, so with the phone set up right it's alright.

I'm glad you posted this because something many users of new devices don't realize what they're doing to that new product when they get it. I put over 600 miles on my new car in 3 days back in July because I wanted to drive it everywhere and run it through it's paces. Now that I've settled down, I drive it normally. With a new phone, we kill them trying to figure out what it can do and you just want to play with it all the time. Once we cool off and begin normal usage, the dust settles and things get back to normal, usage wise.

Great lesson learned here and I hope others take note from your experience. Even better, you didn't give up and dismiss the phone so easily. Great tenacity on your part.
    Moto Droid 1->HTC Droid Incredible->Moto Droid X->iPhone 3GS-->HTC MyTouch 4G->T-Mo G2X(RETURNED)->HTC Sensation->Sony Xperia Play (The PlayStation Phone)-->Droid Bionic-->iPhone 4S-->Nokia Lumia 900-->Nokia Lumia 920-->Nokia Lumia 1020-->LG G3

People also need to factor in the beginning of getting a new phone especially an android phone is the Syncronization of your contacts, email, apps, etc. and that will draw a lot of power even if you are not using the phone.