Should I return my G2 for a MT4G???

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I just got a G2 last week after coming from being a LOYAL bb user for over 5 years. I went with the G2 because I thought I absolutely needed to have a physical keyboard.. after downloading the "better keyboard" I see I am using the physical keyboard less and less and am getting faster typing on screen (in landscape mode same as I would be using the physical keyboard) So my question is should I get return the G2 and get the MT4g? I have my G2 rooted, overclocked and have a sense rom installed.. I know out of the box the MT is faster but I'm sure I can root that and overclock that as well..

One question for you people with a rooted MT4G. Can you tether for free once it's rooted like you can on the G2? TMO said they would do an even exchange of phones.. So I'm really debating on doing it.. My physical keyboard is very much like a security blanket and I'm afraid once it's completely gone I will freak out.. so should I keep my G2 or get the MT4g??

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Ya go with MT4G as overall its better. But however G2 has superior dev ATM and OC kernel is even higher than MT4G as they hit over 1.9ghz and 62fps on AMD Z460. I say you get MT4G as you have extra rom, ram and native 200mhz along with other things, I can give you full run down if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: graffixnyc

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think I will.. I really thought I couldnt do without a real keyboard and if I only had the stock keyboard that would still be true but I'm really liking the better keyboard. It has a lot of nice features and am using the real keyboard less and less. I was doing speed/accuracy tests and I was about even on both OS keyboard and the physical keyboard. My G2 is over clocked at almost 1.5. I was checking out the forums on xda and they do have an OC kernel for the stock MT4G rom that clocks at 1.7-1.8. I saw side by side tests of a stock G2 ad stock MT and the mt had better benchmarks all around So I'm sure an overclocked MT would blow the G2 away. I can still do free tethering if the MT4G is rooted correct?
Thanks!

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can tether, when I said G2 OC kernel I meant over 100% as you know native is 800mhz and to hit 1.9ghz is crazy. I know MT4G has stable 1.7ghz kernels but that's not same clock per clock compared to G2. I also was thinking about getting G2 before MT4G came out as I had my phone stolen and I couldn't wait any longer but I was aware of project emerald by TMo so I didn't have any choice but to wait, plus G2 keyboard is flimsy as you know how loose it feels. So go with MT4G guy.

Sent from my HTC Glacier via WiFi

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can tether, when I said G2 OC kernel I meant over 100% as you know native is 800mhz and to hit 1.9ghz is crazy. I know MT4G has stable 1.7ghz kernels but that's not same clock per clock compared to G2. I also was thinking about getting G2 before MT4G came out as I had my phone stolen and I couldn't wait any longer but I was aware of project emerald by TMo so I didn't have any choice but to wait, plus G2 keyboard is flimsy as you know how loose it feels. So go with MT4G guy.

Sent from my HTC Glacier via WiFi

Yeah I saw they got the G2 to 1.9 but I heard it doesnt run stable for everyone.. Besides I'd be too afraid to push it that far.. I was happy having it up to 1.49 :)
So if I OC the MT4g to the stable 1.7(and I'm sure they will get it faster) with the extra ram over the G2 I think it will be a lot faster than what my G2 is running now. I did it.. I printed my return label called TMO with the tracking # and since the phones are both the same price I dont have to pay anything since I got my G2 for free when they had that 2 or 3 day free promotion so I'm getting the MT4G for free :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you will be happy with the myTouch 4G. I had a G2 before this, and I'm doubting my decision at all. The big reason for me was the FFC, mostly because I'm sure video chat will come to gtalk. I don't miss the physical keyboard, and with Swiftkey I'm probably faster without it.

One thing you will notice, though, is that the G2 just FEELS nicer in your hand. Even though technically the MT4G is the higher end device it doesn't feel like it compared to the G2. I'm not saying the build quality on the MT4G sucks, because it doesn't, but IMHO the G2 is just a nicer looking phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon