Gingerbread?

When do you think the MyTouch 4G will get Gingerbread?

• Total voters

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So, when do you guys think Gingerbread will come? With rumors about 2.3 updates being killed in favor of 2.4's forward-compatibility, do you think this will delay the process for the MT4G's update? Personally, I'm hoping for late-Spring or Summer, but who knows?

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Who knows and not many people care because its not much of and upgrade and besides we got most of the updated apps and the keyboard.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
My guess is early Summer. Frankly I'm not too worried about it. Really, the only thing from GB I want is the better battery life. I always carry around a spare, though, & I have a hybrid car/wall charger, so I'm usually good wherever I am.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My guess is early Summer. Frankly I'm not too worried about it. Really, the only thing from GB I want is the better battery life. I always carry around a spare, though, & I have a hybrid car/wall charger, so I'm usually good wherever I am.

I'm the exact opposite. Battery life on the Nexus S STUNK, plain and simple. I would take it off the charger and be at work at 9, and by the time I left at 5 (with only moderate use/occasional texting and some surfing during my lunch) it would be at 65-70%. With my iPhone 4, that same usage would only drop it to 85-90%. With the MyTouch4g, that same amount of usage would only drop the battery to the same level as the iPhone.

When I hear people talking about better battery life on Gingerbread, it leaves me scratching my head, because it really isn't all that great.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, the MyTouch 4G is possibly the best phone
available for any network right now, but with all the T-Mobile bloatware
crappulius on this phone we will be lucky to see an update in 2011.
In fact I'll go as far as saying I will probably have a better newer phone before
this ones updated.

T-Mobile doesnt really care about updating phones, the one thing
that stinks about their customer service.
But then in all fairness none of the other networks really care either.
Does updating the phones generate any more income for them ?
Nope, and thats the bottom line.

Even the poor Nexus One hasnt gotten Gingerbread yet.

:(

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm the exact opposite. Battery life on the Nexus S STUNK, plain and simple. I would take it off the charger and be at work at 9, and by the time I left at 5 (with only moderate use/occasional texting and some surfing during my lunch) it would be at 65-70%. With my iPhone 4, that same usage would only drop it to 85-90%. With the MyTouch4g, that same amount of usage would only drop the battery to the same level as the iPhone.

When I hear people talking about better battery life on Gingerbread, it leaves me scratching my head, because it really isn't all that great.

Wow really?? Good to know. I guess I couldn't be happier with my phone, in that case!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if its gingerbread or cyanogen but my battery got a lot better on cm7. And I had no complaints before.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

PhilipJFry

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile doesnt really care about updating phones, the one thing that stinks about their customer service. But then in all fairness none of the other networks really care either. Does updating the phones generate any more income for them? Nope, and thats the bottom line.

Am going to have to totally agree w/you on this topic. This is a multi-faceted subject, but it really does come down to the company's decision when the product is first decided upon to be introduced into the market of what their level of support will be from then on. Having worked in this type of industry for quite some time, I have been able to see what it takes for a company to estimate how long the life of the product will have to be until it starts to make money (how many units have to be sold until the subsidies to these products have broken even or are no longer affecting the projected profit margin) and when it can be shelved, and when a new product can be introduced to start the profit cycle all over again.

IMO, you can garner more repeat and new customers by providing good/great customer service for your existing products (which influences on how/where one makes their next major purchase) than by just throwing so many products at customers in hopes that someone buys any one of said products and is locked into a contract for x number of months.

However, with all that said, this is where the mod/hacking community steps in and saves the day. In the midst of all the angst/anger against dumb decisions made by corporations, let's be glad we live in a country that (still, for now) allows us to do what we want with our purchased products. :)

It's up to us to make things better, no body else.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if its gingerbread or cyanogen but my battery got a lot better on cm7. And I had no complaints before.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

I think its a combination of CM7 and the MT4G hardware. Point blank I think its just way better designed than Samsung's when it comes to power management.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Am going to have to totally agree w/you on this topic. This is a multi-faceted subject, but it really does come down to the company's decision when the product is first decided upon to be introduced into the market of what their level of support will be from then on. Having worked in this type of industry for quite some time, I have been able to see what it takes for a company to estimate how long the life of the product will have to be until it starts to make money (how many units have to be sold until the subsidies to these products have broken even or are no longer affecting the projected profit margin) and when it can be shelved, and when a new product can be introduced to start the profit cycle all over again.

IMO, you can garner more repeat and new customers by providing good/great customer service for your existing products (which influences on how/where one makes their next major purchase) than by just throwing so many products at customers in hopes that someone buys any one of said products and is locked into a contract for x number of months.

However, with all that said, this is where the mod/hacking community steps in and saves the day. In the midst of all the angst/anger against dumb decisions made by corporations, let's be glad we live in a country that (still, for now) allows us to do what we want with our purchased products. :)

It's up to us to make things better, no body else.

Since this is T-mobile's flagship, and a phone that they're basing almost all of their recent advertising on, I'd wager T-mobile has a lot at stake with making sure this gets timely updates.

I'd equate the MT4G with the Evo in this regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol