AT&T - TMobile USA Merger...Anyone Going To Bail ?

You Bailing Out ? To Who Will You Go ?

• Total voters

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If the US regulatory board approves the sale of TMobile USA to AT&T
is anyone going to bail out ?
Who will your new service provider be ?

Verizon ?

Sprint ?

MetroPCS ?

Boost / Virgin Mobile / One of the dozens of other no name carriers ?

From a customer perspective Sprint would have been a better alternative.
I'm personally hoping the board squashes the aquisition.

:'(

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been with T-Mobile since 05 and I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS MERGER. I can't believe they would let AT&T buy them out. AT&T is absolutely horrible, no wait beyond horrible. I have already read so many people claiming how they will be canceling their T-Mobile service first thing tomorrow. That's getting carried away if ya ask me. I can see AT&T allowing current T-Mobile customers to keep their plans but what about after their contracts are up? I can see them adding more fees to cover this or cover that. I am so upset with this its not even funny.

My entire plan is grandfathered in right now. I pay $79.99/mo for unlimited everything and no other carrier could come close to that. I will be following this very closely but in the end I might end up on Verizon. If this was already approved by the FCC then yes, I more than likely would switch immediately. I would hate to switch right now and find out it wasn't approved. It's very likely to happen though. The HTC Thunderbolt looks tempting but the upcoming Pyramid looks even better. The consumer will be the one getting screwed when this is all over. If I end up waiting then by the time I switch Verizon will probably no longer offer unlimited data plans. UGH

Most importantly, I hope not one single person at T-Mobile looses their job because of this merger.

Rant over :p

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day it's a business. Deutsch Telecom wants to make the most money they can.

I can only hope that if it goes through (which i believe it will) that customer service stays the same. Att is only so-so.

I agree about the fees and stuff (again they are a money-making business) but will Verizon really be any better? Or sprint in a year (remember the $10 fee they recently added)?

At least we can be pretty certain that coverage will get better. :)

Sent from my myTouch 4G

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day it's a business. Deutsch Telecom wants to make the most money they can.

I can only hope that if it goes through (which i believe it will) that customer service stays the same. Att is only so-so.

I agree about the fees and stuff (again they are a money-making business) but will Verizon really be any better? Or sprint in a year (remember the $10 fee they recently added)?

At least we can be pretty certain that coverage will get better. :)

Sent from my myTouch 4G

You are right about Verizon and Sprint. However, Verizon's customer service is far superior than AT&T's. It's still no where as good as T-Mobile's. T-Mobile has done so much for me and never given me any problems. One thing I really like about their CS is how they treat loyal customers like myself. I can see AT&T not even lifting a finger.

This merger will definitely go through but I really hope it is for the better. I know I would greatly benefit from AT&T's coverage. They have full 3G coverage where I live whereas T-Mobile does not. Time will tell.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You are right about Verizon and Sprint. However, Verizon's customer service is far superior than AT&T's. It's still no where as good as T-Mobile's. T-Mobile has done so much for me and never given me any problems. One thing I really like about their CS is how they treat loyal customers like myself. I can see AT&T not even lifting a finger.

This merger will definitely go through but I really hope it is for the better. I know I would greatly benefit from AT&T's coverage. They have full 3G coverage where I live whereas T-Mobile does not. Time will tell.

Coverage and speed will always improve over time. But something has to give. Its either gonna be increased bills through fees, poor customer service (pay cut), or just plain old rate hikes.

You can't have all three lol.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
There are some reasons not to jump if things don't change. I love wifi calling and it's almost a requirement if you spend a lot of time in deployed regions and that was one of the reasons I got tmobile service in the first place, but aside from that I'm feeling like it's time to jump ship to Verizon.

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Because I've "ruined" my relationship with AT&T, Sprint and Verizon in the past... I'm left with "other no name..." to choose from. *insert very huge sigh*

I'm sad and stressed as I've come to love T-Mo up until I found that I am paying for a dead beat XT AND a MT4G. I might have to go pre-paid as like said, that unlimited plan for $79 is/was the cheapest thing going for T-Mo bill wise.

We shall see.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also remember that we have plenty of time before we're forced to change.

It has to get approved. Then they have to combine networks. Its not just a flip of a switch.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Also remember that we have plenty of time before we're forced to change.

It has to get approved. Then they have to combine networks. Its not just a flip of a switch.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

Yup. However the bad thing is we'll have to change phones to compatible AT&T phones to make use of the 3G. So realistically if this merger were to happen and people using their mytouch 4G's after the networks have been combined are pretty much SOL!!!

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
^ I read somewhere ATT hopes to complete the process within 12 months. Is there a thread out there that has info on what happens to our plans or contracts? Are we contract free after the change? Do we keep existing plans and rates until the switch minus maybe our free tethering and stuff like that? I tried surfing the tmo forums, but no luck in the sea of posts yet.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
^ I read somewhere ATT hopes to complete the process within 12 months. Is there a thread out there that has info on what happens to our plans or contracts? Are we contract free after the change? Do we keep existing plans and rates until the switch minus maybe our free tethering and stuff like that? I tried surfing the tmo forums, but no luck in the sea of posts yet.

I think its way too early to tell. This still might not happen. However its my OPINION that AT&T will allow T-Mobile customers to keep any plan they currently have once the merger is complete. But when it comes time to upgrade or go with a different phone they'll require one of their plans for the phone. Expect a lot of these questions to be answered soon. However I'd pay more attention to AT&T's responses than T-Mobiles. I can really careless about unlimited calling but I really like Wi-Fi calling and my UNLIMITED DATA. I can't see those 2 things happening with AT&T. ): As far as contracts go, I really don't know what they'll do. We should not be under contract once their networks combine. I will try things out but AT&T is notorious for dropped called and horrible voice quality and severe network congestion.

Last edited:

going_home

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This aint over till the fat lady sings.
Although AT$T is betting 3 Billlion with a B that this merger will be blessed
by the regulatory board meaning they will have to pay TMO 3 billion if its squashed.
I think TMO deserves the 3 billion dont you ?

;)

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
This aint over till the fat lady sings.
Although AT$T is betting 3 Billlion with a B that this merger will be blessed
by the regulatory board meaning they will have to pay TMO 3 billion if its squashed.
I think TMO deserves the 3 billion dont you ?

;)

You better believe it!!!! That 3 billion would make T-Mobile so much better than what they already are. Better coverage, better phones, better plans, their own LTE network. :D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No details have been released about contracts and stuff.

I worked for an AT&T authorized retailer (I don't anymore) and when we had customers come in that were from Centennial Wireless with a broke phone they had two choices 1) go to a store that was previously Centennial to get a a warranty exchange 2) sign a new two year agreement with AT&T to get a new phone (on AT&T rate plans).

Once your phone broke you pretty much had to get on AT&T's plan. I see this going the same way.

As for the network merger...even if the deal gets approved in a year that doesn't mean we ONLY have a year. It'll take some time to get things in place and hardware changed and stuff like that. Plus they can't have devices for a network that isn't active yet. So it wouldn't make sense to obsolete all of the T-Mobile 3G phones until they have a large selection of phones available.

I'm not worried about it. It's the way of the world. Some necessary evils need to be accepted. Personally I'm looking forward to increased coverage and LTE.

(disclaimer: I might be forced to switch to AT&T in the next month or two anyway)

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
No details have been released about contracts and stuff.

I worked for an AT&T authorized retailer (I don't anymore) and when we had customers come in that were from Centennial Wireless with a broke phone they had two choices 1) go to a store that was previously Centennial to get a a warranty exchange 2) sign a new two year agreement with AT&T to get a new phone (on AT&T rate plans).

Once your phone broke you pretty much had to get on AT&T's plan. I see this going the same way.

As for the network merger...even if the deal gets approved in a year that doesn't mean we ONLY have a year. It'll take some time to get things in place and hardware changed and stuff like that. Plus they can't have devices for a network that isn't active yet. So it wouldn't make sense to obsolete all of the T-Mobile 3G phones until they have a large selection of phones available.

I'm not worried about it. It's the way of the world. Some necessary evils need to be accepted. Personally I'm looking forward to increased coverage and LTE.

(disclaimer: I might be forced to switch to AT&T in the next month or two anyway)

Just curious, why would you be forced to switch to AT&T? Even if this merger goes through you'll get to keep your cheaper T-Mobile plan. What phone are ya interested in on AT&T? I'd get the HTC Inspire 4G :D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, why would you be forced to switch to AT&T? Even if this merger goes through you'll get to keep your cheaper T-Mobile plan. What phone are ya interested in on AT&T? I'd get the HTC Inspire 4G :D

Getting on a family plan with someone else to save money.

As far as which phone it'll be the LG Optimus 3D.

As far as the Facebook pages and all that I don't think it'll have an affect (look at Sprint/Nextel). But it's always good to have your voices heard.

And EVERYBODY will probably be forced to change if they want to get a new phone. It's not like that everytime networks combine but in this case T-Mobile is getting bought, they aren't merging. They won't have much of a say in what happens.

going_home

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Lets Hope Its Not Approved

Will An AT&T Acquisition Of T-Mobile Really Happen?

“In the event the transaction does not receive regulatory approval satisfactory to AT&T and the transaction does not close, AT&T will be required to pay a breakup fee of $3 (billion), transfer to T-Mobile certain AWS spectrum that is not needed by AT&T for its initial LTE roll out, and provide a roaming agreement to T-Mobile on terms favorable to both parties”

Lots of reasons why it will be approved and lots of reasons why it would not be.
I hope it wont be.
I'm going to wait and see.
I'm eyeing the new 42 speed boost in Orlando and hoping it comes to Tampa soon.
And the two new soon to be released phones, the Pyramid and G2X.

:(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie