Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC Nexus 8 built tablet. Do I have you attention now?

As the title implies do I have your attention now?

After ASUS taking a crack at the Nexus 7 original and Nexus 7 (2013) models and doing a fairly decent job (withstanding the various problems) are you ready to take on HTC's flavor of a new Nexus tablet?

I know as a HTC One (M7) owner I really like what HTC brings to the table and look forward to seeing what they can do with a Nexus device. Rumored is to be built using the NVIDIA Tegra chipset which I know will make many drool, especially those Tegra gamers.

Stay tuned as more develops in the days and weeks I'm sure...

HTC Nexus 8 €” codename 'Flounder' | Android Central
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    18,880 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: HTC Nexus 8 built tablet. Do I have you attention now?

I certainly am curious. I may not get one, but I am still interested in what the device will be like.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    ajpri likes this.

If it has the build quality of the M8, then I am getting one..
    I want metal, top quality and I don't care about the price!
    iMac 27" mid 2013, iPad Air 64GB Cellular White/Silver, HTC One M8 Gunmetal gray
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by petvas72 View Post
    If it has the build quality of the M8, then I am getting one..
    I want metal, top quality and I don't care about the price!
    Couldn't have said it better myself

Posted via Android Central App
    Paul627g likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I am really looking forward to this myself. I have had good success with my original Nexus 7 (2012) and can't wait to see what flavor HTC can spin on a Nexus tablet.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

If this happens my Nexus 7 2013 will be put up for sale. Insta-Buy

I am wondering what HTC will bring to a Nexus tablet.

If I recall correctly, one of HTC's previous tablets, the Flyer, had stylus support. It would be good to have a company other than Samsung implement a stylus on their products.

A metal tablet (similar in design to the One M8 phone) would be interesting. HTC could also implement a polycarbonate body if it wanted to invoke the feel of the older One X phone design in a tablet form factor.

The best feature on an HTC tablet would have to be front-facing speakers. HTC has no equal in that department. In fact, if there are no front-facing speakers, I would question Google decision to choose HTC in the first place.
    Paul627g likes this.

ROM
    Viper

3 Words: Front Facing Speakers

EVERY tablet should have them. Any tablet that does not is ridiculous imo. This Flounder should have speakers of the same dna as the M7 and M8, and that is something to be excited about.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Thanked by:
    Paul627g, RumoredNow and Scott7217 like this.

I would like to buy one since my 2012 Nexus 7 short battery life and long charging time is wearing me out charging it all the time. Don't want it if the case is metal since I won't buy anymore devices that doesn't have Qi charging ability. I would rather go buy the 2013 Nexus 7.

Can't wait to throw my money at Google for this tablet

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

HTC has a difficult task ahead of them. Offering what the Nexus 7 packed for the low cost will require a lot of number crunching. And then there is the iPad Mini; another feature packed device.

Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    HTC has a difficult task ahead of them. Offering what the Nexus 7 packed for the low cost will require a lot of number crunching. And then there is the iPad Mini; another feature packed device.
    Well, here are some price points from the competition (wifi only models):

$229.00 - Nexus 7 16 GB
    $349.99 - Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 16 GB
    $399.00 - iPad Mini with Retina Display 16 GB

If HTC makes a tablet with a bigger screen, I would expect it to be more expensive than a Nexus 7. So if HTC can shoot for a price that's above $230 but below $350, it can compete with Samsung and Apple.

Can't wait. My Nexus 5 makes my Nexus 7 (2012) seem painfully slow at times, would also prefer a slightly larger 8" screen this time.

Hopefully out by Sept and not vaporware for ages?

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Well, here are some price points from the competition (wifi only models):

$229.00 - Nexus 7 16 GB
    $349.99 - Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 16 GB
    $399.00 - iPad Mini with Retina Display 16 GB

If HTC makes a tablet with a bigger screen, I would expect it to be more expensive than a Nexus 7. So if HTC can shoot for a price that's above $230 but below $350, it can compete with Samsung and Apple.
    Well the screen will be bigger than the Nexus, but only an inch bigger, making it more physically similar to the iPad Mini. I'm a loyal Android OS guy and have never owned an iOS product in my life. I've played around with my dad's iOS tablet through Verizon, and it was okay. The iPhone is the iOS product I truly can't stand. But the Mini, although pricier, is probably the most feature-rich of them all and Apple threw an enormous battery in it. Those are my thoughts, and the recent tablet reviews I've read all seem to consistently place the Mini at #1 and the Nexus 7 at #2.

HTC is capable of making decent devices, but they've also produced absolute crap too, like the Rezound. I unfortunately bought into that phone and had a myriad of problems with it until it finally crapped out altogether about 6 months from the date of purchase. So I'm not excited that HTC is the manufacturer, but I'm not disappointed either because, as I said, HTC is quality capable, and I see no need to upgrade my Nexus 7 for many, many months.

Last edited by Murph5150; 05-18-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world.

If all they do is make the HTC One M8 with an 8" screen, then I'll be throwing my money at them.

Hell, I'd even prefer HTC Sense 6 over stock Android. Find it a better UI. But yeah, the HTC One's build, design, screen and dual front facing speakers would make it probably the best tablet on the market.

I would love for it to have an active digitizer. I would also like the web browser not to register as a mobile device on websites and all the links on websites to work.

Palm V => Palm Zire 31 => Palm Tungsten E => Palm 700WX => Sprint Touch => Sprint Hero => Droid Incredible => Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

Would be a sweet tablet to have. Hopefully they can have blinkfeed as an app to download for it and have front facing speakers like the BlackBerry Playbook has but more of an HTC flavor like the HTC One

ROM
    Stock

Although an HTC tablet intrigues me, I really want to see some Motorola Tablets. Similar to the Moto X, G & E line up, a premium, mid level & entry tablet tablet offering would be great from them.

Posted via Android Central App from my Ebony backed Moto X
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I love HTC devices! This will keep my interest alone. I might finally upgrade the N7 to one of these. Depending on its price point anyways. Go go HTC!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com

Nexus draws my attention.

HTC? Not really.

I might actually buy one if HTC does make the new Nexus tablet. It should be good for HTC also.
    I'm gonna get flak but I'd rather have Sense over Stock Android for my daily driver.

With the Android Silver line of products being rumoured, do you think this may potentially affect a new Nexus tablet? I mean the next Nexus tablet possibly being cancelled for an 'Android Silver' tablet next year?

I personally hope not. Would love a new Nexus tablet, and especially a HTC one if they can have the dual front facing speakers and possibly a metallic build (doubtful, as Nexus devices are typically low cost for their specs).

Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    With the Android Silver line of products being rumoured, do you think this may potentially affect a new Nexus tablet? I mean the next Nexus tablet possibly being cancelled for an 'Android Silver' tablet next year?
    Maybe we'll hear more information at Google I/O (June 25-26, 2014). Everyone is expecting Google to discontinue the Nexus, but we haven't had official word that the Nexus program is over.

So it could like a HTC flyer except 8 inches with no stylus

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 or Samsung galaxy S5

I'm anxious to see what the Nexus 8 will be like. I love my Nexus 7 (2013) but will gladly upgrade if it is worthy.

J
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast