Nexus 9 : NVIDIA lets the cat out of the bag in lawsuit !!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I would love a nexus from HTC as I'm a big HTC fan. But I just can't do it if rumors are correct about a 1400p or 1600p screen.

I no longer have a computer (my last gaming rig I built was 7 or 8 years ago), so I'm not going to stream from my own network. Grid sounds nice, but I'm in NYC so it might not be all that.

But I'm looking for a great tablet for some movies and Android gaming. With the new nexus, I fear that it won't be the same as a Shield. Plus the Shield has a fantastic controller that I'm willing to replace my Moga with.
So yeah, I doubt that come October (when I'll have enough money to buy a tablet) I'll by the nexus (or wait some more for it). But you never know, they better announce it soon so I can buy something quick.... Been wanting a tablet since the TN7 last November, but it just wasn't worth buying like the new Shield.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

What's wrong with those resolutions? 😮

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with those resolutions? 😮

They are worthless for media (YouTube, Netflix) as it will default to 720p or 1080p anyway. worse for gaming as it will drastically reduce frame rates (and in some cases make them totally unplayable) and make any type within a game almost unreadable.

The only bonus is reading a book or viewing Web pages. Otherwise, worthless.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually it makes eyes squint. That's a good thing to you?

Uh? No

I was joking around.

But on a related note, the g3's QHD screen didn't make me squint when using it. I thought it looked great.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Uh? No

I was joking around.

But on a related note, the g3's QHD screen didn't make me squint when using it. I thought it looked great.

Ok, I know you're just joking.

But... Play a game that has in game text and even in 1080p the text is far smaller then when you have a phone that is 720p or lower. Now try that on your QHD screen... Totally unreadable. (older games are more vulnerable to this issue)

As I've said, the only bonus is Web and book reading as you can normally pinch to zoom or expand and make the text larger.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

But... Play a game that has in game text and even in 1080p the text is far smaller then when you have a phone that is 720p or lower. Now try that on your QHD screen... Totally unreadable. (older games are more vulnerable to this issue)

As I've said, the only bonus is Web and book reading as you can normally pinch to zoom or expand and make the text larger.

I've never really noticed small text on my phone's 1080P display. The stock DPI is high enough that I can read it well. Haven't used a QHD display on an Android device, but I don't imagine it would scale as poorly as something like Windows does on laptops/desktops.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I know what you mean, I have seen it first hand on computers (as UJ95x mentioned). I am just yet to see it on phones. My daily driver phone has a 1080p screen and I am yet to run into any issues like I have seen on a windows computer. Admittedly I didn't play any games on the G3 to comment. Hopefully before anything would get released with some of these super high resolutions they would have a solution so it wouldn't become a problem.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I know what you mean, I have seen it first hand on computers (as UJ95x mentioned). I am just yet to see it on phones. My daily driver phone has a 1080p screen and I am yet to run into any issues like I have seen on a windows computer. Admittedly I didn't play any games on the G3 to comment. Hopefully before anything would get released with some of these super high resolutions they would have a solution so it wouldn't become a problem.

Well the app does have to be optimized for every resolution. You wouldn't be able to play a game on the G3 until the app has been made for it. (Barring that you install xposed framework and the module that ignores DPI when downloading from the Play Store)

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to be able to use the tab one-handed, but don't expect that to be possible with the screen size increase.

I just hope that it has a nice metal build, similar to HTC's phones. That would give it that extra premium feel to it. I know it probably won't happen, as it'll probably be a budget device again, but I'd love to see it.

I will never get why anyone wants a metal case that has so many disadvantage. You claim you want to hold it with one hand but HTC One (m8) metal phone is slippery and even Android Central makes jokes about how hard it is for Phil not to drop it a few times every week.

So far no one has every made a metal case that allows wireless charging. My new 2013 N7 that replaced my old 2012 N7 is on my Wireless charger right now that is a 1000% better than screwing with lose charging port that wear out and loosen up over time to the point you have to wiggle the charging cable just right to charge.

Metal case is easy to scratch and you must me very delicate with out a case that my wife's one two month old Samsung Tab S is already showing wear so much she stopped putting it in her huge purse and taking it to work. Metal also shows all scares, scratches and dents. If I get a Nexus 9 with a metal case it will be inside a TPC case as soon as it comes out of the box. I will take wireless charging as Premium and anything that doesn't have wireless charging as a negative feature.

Apple started this stuff about Metal being Premium with it's marketing campaign to sell over priced products when metal is a worst material than other man made material that allow wireless charging and resisted wear much better than metal.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I will never get why anyone wants a metal case that has so many disadvantage. You claim you want to hold it with one hand but HTC One (m8) metal phone is slippery and even Android Central makes jokes about how hard it is for Phil not to drop it a few times every week.

Not all metal phones are slippery. The M7 certainly wasn't. The iPhones aren't. It was just the finish HTC used on the gunmetal grey M8 model that had a smoother feel to it.

To me, metal builds that are well done like the M8 feel great in the hand, and many people also think so. The M8 has been continuously praised for it's build and feel, in no small part to the metal build.

So far no one has every made a metal case that allows wireless charging.

I personally don't care for that. Certainly not for 9" tablet. Charge times are already slow with the wall charger plugged into a device, however charging is so ridiculously slow on a wireless charger and you have to mess around making sure you've got the inductor correctly placed on the wireless charging pad....ugh.

Just give me the micro USB cord to plug it in and be done with it. I don't want to wait around for hours to charge my device, and if I do want to access or transfer files from my computer to my device, it's already plugged in and ready to go. I usually charge my phone in the morning after I wake up, let it charge for 45-60min then go to work. Wouldn't get much charge on a wireless charger unless I leave it on the pad on my computer desk overnight.

Metal case is easy to scratch and you must me very delicate with out a case that my wife's one two month old Samsung Tab S is already showing wear so much she stopped putting it in her huge purse and taking it to work. Metal also shows all scares, scratches and dents. If I get a Nexus 9 with a metal case it will be inside a TPC case as soon as it comes out of the box.

I prefer metal body because to me it feels much, much better than any plastic and it looks better as well. Feels and looks like a premium product when you're using them, rather than just a plastic gadget with a screen on it. Yes metal can scratch, but so can plastic, and plastic has a higher chance of cracking compared to metal. It's a subjective opinion, but I prefer metal and I don't use cases on my phones and wouldn't on the Nexus 9 if it were metal.

Apple started this stuff about Metal being Premium with it's marketing campaign to sell over priced products when metal is a worst material than other man made material that allow wireless charging and resisted wear much better than metal.

Again, not everyone cares about wireless charging. I'd trade wireless charging for a metal build any day of the week. Once wireless charging improves to the point I don't have to put the phone/tablet on that stupid pad, then I'll care about it. If I could have the device in my pocket or somewhere else on my desk not on the pad and it can charge wirelessly as fast as wall socket charging, then yeah sign me up. Otherwise to me, there's no difference putting it on those charging pads and plugging it in.

So there are positives and negatives to everything. Your viewpoint doesn't match everyone else's, just as mine doesn't.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Oh no, wireless charging is a must! I hope it has it. After using the wc in the n7 2013 I dont ever want to purchase another device without it.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

That's just it. For normal and every day use you'll never notice as our phones and tablets by default have been set with proper scaling. Again, if anything we can tweak what we read in the settings.

But I'm not talking about the Web or e-books. I'm talking about the text in games. Most games are already compatible with high res screens like on the Sammy tab s 8.4
But game developers seem to skip a few things when making the game compatible, and one of them is the size of the type in chat boxes when you need to read something like when the game talks to you. The scale seems to never been updated to the higher resolution. So while it was large enough to read at 720p, by 1600p the type being the same pixel count as before, you now can't read it. In some games, the menus are just as bad. And yes, I'm saying that developers are taking short cuts when making their games compatible.

This will not effect normal use. Just games. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear before.