OK, HTC fans....

Deon Christopher

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
The main thing I would LOVE to see on this HTC M10 or the HTC A9 is......a USB port found on everyday laptops.....I understand you can hook up to to your laptop by using the cord that comes with your charger or just by taking out your SD Card but I just feel it would be that much more convenient to copy things.....like at work for instance....I watch Power, so does my co-workers.....we work in Afghanistan.....one guy would download each episode and bring his hard drive into work. From there we would copy it. It would be too convenient to hook up directly to the hard drive and copy stuff.....I've been waiting to see what phone company brings this out first....that would be cool if it was HTC!!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The main thing I would LOVE to see on this HTC M10 or the HTC A9 is......a USB port found on everyday laptops.....I understand you can hook up to to your laptop by using the cord that comes with your charger or just by taking out your SD Card but I just feel it would be that much more convenient to copy things.....like at work for instance....I watch Power, so does my co-workers.....we work in Afghanistan.....one guy would download each episode and bring his hard drive into work. From there we would copy it. It would be too convenient to hook up directly to the hard drive and copy stuff.....I've been waiting to see what phone company brings this out first....that would be cool if it was HTC!!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

what kind of work do you do in Afghanistan?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I would hate that phone :p On those lines, what I would do - 5.2" FHD or QHD display, 4gb RAM, 128gb internal, NO microSD, battery not removable - 4-5k mAh sealed, I can be fine with all metal, but prefer metal frame with leather back. I'd go with one rear camera that is super awesome, one front camera that I don't care about at all - waterproof sounds cool. Front facing speakers are a good thing. Oh, and get rid of that damned black bar.

I was with you til you got to leather back. I can't stand leather backs for some reason. TBH, they could leave the back the same (other than hiding the antennas a bit), and just redesign the front and I'd be happy. And wouldn't a 5.2 screen with a battery that large be really thick. The M9 is about as thick as I can stand now that I've gotten used to thin phones. If the 820 is as power efficient as QC says, then the same battery should be an improvement.

priya9898

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
HTC One smartphone with 4.70-inch 1080x1920 display powered by 1.7GHz processor alongside 2GB RAM and 4-megapixel rear camera.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't need the 3D display, but a 5" with 32+gb of storage, 4 gb RAM would be nice along with a nice large battery.

I want in HTC O2 a 5 inch 3D 4K display(yes i want 3D displays back) , 4gb ram, 128gb internal memory with expandable storage, large capacity removable battery, go back to the aluminum unibody design of HTC Legend. Dual rear and dual front 3D cameras similar to HTC Evo 3D,waterproof body, etc. That's all i can think of now.

Bill Sprague

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Black bar? In my book that's called a Logo. I use an HTC M7. I know: that's way old but so what? It works just fine and it's way better than the iPhone I used to have. And I've also had Blackberry, too. Just took it to a "store" in the Mall that's near me and told the guys to just replace the battery. They've heard it before and looked at me as if I had 3 heads. After 3 years the battery was shot when it reached 30% or so. And all this back and forth about batteries? Hey, just quit your applications when you're done using them. Don't leave them in RAM. Your battery will last all day. Whether you're a gamer or not...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't mess up the camera.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Black bar? In my book that's called a Logo. I use an HTC M7. I know: that's way old but so what? It works just fine and it's way better than the iPhone I used to have. And I've also had Blackberry, too. Just took it to a "store" in the Mall that's near me and told the guys to just replace the battery. They've heard it before and looked at me as if I had 3 heads. After 3 years the battery was shot when it reached 30% or so. And all this back and forth about batteries? Hey, just quit your applications when you're done using them. Don't leave them in RAM. Your battery will last all day. Whether you're a gamer or not...

an unnecessary black bar taking up space is not a logo, there's no reason they can't slap their logo on the top or bottom bezel like every other OEM ... and you know little about RAM management as it relates to battery life. Simply closing apps isn't going to turn bad battery life into great ... 3400+ mAh combined with Doze is a better solution.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
an unnecessary black bar taking up space is not a logo, there's no reason they can't slap their logo on the top or bottom bezel like every other OEM ... and you know little about RAM management as it relates to battery life. Simply closing apps isn't going to turn bad battery life into great ... 3400+ mAh combined with Doze is a better solution.

Calling the space unnecessary means there isn't anything underneath.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Calling the space unnecessary means there isn't anything underneath.

Yeah hopefully you get the point though. No other OEM has that black bar, and whenever people see a render without it (like @evleaks) they drool over it. I'm rooting for HTC, I hope the m10 is just as successful as the m7, but most consumers, myself included, would prefer for that space to be occupied by display. It's their job to figure out how to get it done, so whatever they gotta do, hopefully they'll do it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah hopefully you get the point though. No other OEM has that black bar, and whenever people see a render without it (like @evleaks) they drool over it. I'm rooting for HTC, I hope the m10 is just as successful as the m7, but most consumers, myself included, would prefer for that space to be occupied by display. It's their job to figure out how to get it done, so whatever they gotta do, hopefully they'll do it.

If someone thinks a black bar with no logo or buttons or screen is a waste of space when there's stuff underneath, then that person isn't understanding engineering.

Last edited:

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
If someone thinks a black bar with no log or no buttons or no screen is a waste of space when there's stuff underneath, then that person isn't understanding engineering.

Of course there's stuff underneath - there's also stuff underneath the screen. Everyone bitchching about the black bar just wants it to be screen with stuff underneath instead of a black bar with stuff underneath and no functionality. That, or just make it a lot less fugly.

If you can't get rid of the black bar, I'd rather have one large bezel like the nexus devices, i. e., integrate the speakers and black bar. I think it's the silver colored speaker grills coupled with the black bar that makes the m8 + m9 so ugly.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If someone thinks a black bar with no logo or buttons or screen is a waste of space when there's stuff underneath, then that person isn't understanding engineering.

I don't need to understand the engineering, just the finished product. When Joe Customer goes to his local carrier store and looks at his choices, he sees the S6 Edge with thin bezels, the G4, same deal, then the M9, which has a bottom bezel/bar that takes up 1/5 (maybe more) of the phone, and he moves on. That's the reality, no engineering degree needed, just a customer with a lot of options. You can choose to defend HTC and blame it on customers lack of understanding, but I can assure you if they stick with that black bar and don't freshin up the aesthetics, there's a very good chance they won't have an opportunity to fix their mistakes this time next year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't need to understand the engineering, just the finished product. When Joe Customer goes to his local carrier store and looks at his choices, he sees the S6 Edge with thin bezels, the G4, same deal, then the M9, which has a bottom bezel/bar that takes up 1/5 (maybe more) of the phone, and he moves on. That's the reality, no engineering degree needed, just a customer with a lot of options. You can choose to defend HTC and blame it on customers lack of understanding, but I can assure you if they stick with that black bar and don't freshin up the aesthetics, there's a very good chance they won't have an opportunity to fix their mistakes this time next year.

HTC's problems have little to nothing to do with a logo-less, button-less black bar.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
HTC's problems have little to nothing to do with a logo-less, button-less black bar.

It really has nothing to do with that area at all. It's all name recognition with Android. People buy Samsung because they make tv's, fridges, and everything else. LG is the same. Plus in Samsung's case they reach the price points people want. When I had my M9 I showed several Samsung owners my phone and they all said it was better than their S5/S6. If we're gonna be real and forget about people like us; all the general public cares about is what they see on tv, what some crappy salesperson says, and what is shiny.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It really has nothing to do with that area at all. It's all name recognition with Android. People buy Samsung because they make tv's, fridges, and everything else. LG is the same. Plus in Samsung's case they reach the price points people want. When I had my M9 I showed several Samsung owners my phone and they all said it was better than their S5/S6. If we're gonna be real and forget about people like us; all the general public cares about is what they see on tv, what some crappy salesperson says, and what is shiny.

It's really about marketing, whether or not spec junkies want to admit it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

In a way. I think the fact that Samsung and LG were around way before smartphones and Android are a thing plays a huge part. It's almost impossible to be a successful company with your hand in only one pie these days. That's not really competition in my eyes. It's the biggest companies win kind of thing. I hope niche companies can get back on top soon, but I honestly doubt it. Especially in the US. This is less about what HTC can do, but more about what all companies can do with a mobile only focus.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

key word: problems, which I agree with. I'm not suggesting simply removing the black bar will turn the company around. I also wouldn't say that if they do keep it the M10 won't be successful. I'm simply saying that they've used the design 3 years straight, and people expect a more significant design change this year.

I'm sure you saw @evleaks render from last year. the HTC logo was on the bottom bezel, no black bar, and people on this site were drooling over it. 90% of us, myself included, were disappointed and didn't end up buying it. was that the only reason? of course not. the camera (which IMO is underrated) was also a major issue. the M10 will be about camera quality, aesthetics, software and the features (fingerprint sensor, USB-C, etc) we all expect in 2016. most importantly, like you said, it'll be about marketing.

Personally I'd love to see a nice sized battery (3400+ mAh) with a 5.7" display. I'd also like if they offer a compact version for the people that prefer a smaller screen. Force touch would really get my attention though. I'm hoping either the M10 or S7 has it but we'll see. I have a 6p but need a new work phone, so USB-C will be a strong consideration for me. I'd hate to have to use two different chargers for everything. In fact, I'd get another 6p before I bought a device without it.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

totally agree ... we can talk about black bars, camera, etc all we want, but for them to be successful they need to be creative and have a solid marketing campaign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34