The UK pricing is downright insulting.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
£429 for 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage. Meanwhile in the USA, they get 3GB RAM and 32GB storage for $399.

The Sony Xperia Z5 Compact offers much better value for money for the exact same price in the UK market.

HTC have lost it completely.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Gents, my guess is exchange rates. The 5x s also obscenely priced. Any phone that doesn't already have decent stock in country is likely to cost a fortune.

Come live in the colonies...

Posted via the Android Central App

amaya84

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
About 600/650€ in Europe for the 16GB/2GB is an insult and suicidal for htc.

We want the 32GB/3GB as USA. With a tag price of 399€.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I agree, if they want to attempt charging that much at least give us the 3GB/32GB edition.

The price has gone up to £449-£479 at the big UK retailers. Crazy, usually retailers sell for RRP or at a reduced price, never have I seen them charge more than RRP! Unbelievable.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
£429 for 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage. Meanwhile in the USA, they get 3GB RAM and 32GB storage for $399.

The Sony Xperia Z5 Compact offers much better value for money for the exact same price in the UK market.

HTC have lost it completely.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I'd make the same choice were I in your shoes. But in the USA the Experias are damn near impossible to buy if you are not willing to try to import one yourself. And I won't lie, I'm glad I'll get such a good deal on the A9. It meets all of my needs (if the battery lasts through the day).

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
You have to consider the high costs of extended warranty and the overly generous return policy British and EU laws require. That adds greatly to the cost of an electronic device like cell phones that have a short sales life.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
You have to consider the high costs of extended warranty and the overly generous return policy British and EU laws require. That adds greatly to the cost of an electronic device like cell phones that have a short sales life.
HTC's competitors have much better prices here in UK. That's the issue.

I mean the Nexus phones were criticised for being over priced here in UK and even they offer better value for money. The HTC One A9 is more expensive than the Nexus 6P pricing!

And if someone wants a smaller screen, well the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact retails slightly cheaper whilst offering better internal specifications.

The A9 looks like a great phone but the UK pricing is unusually high compared to its competitors and that isn't good news for HTC.

Last edited:

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
In the US the Nexus 5x is priced a little lower, but can be differentiated because it's plastic and has a lower quality screen. The Xperia Z5 Compact here is priced quite a bit higher than the A9. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in pricing.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The US doesn't officially have the Z5 Compact yet so any stores selling it are merely importing it from abroad, resulting in the inflated price. Hopefully US will eventually get the Z5 series officially.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree that the price outside the US is crazy. I have ordered one at the promotional price but would never do it even at the US price after Nov 7. That price brings in way more options of phones with better specs.

There have been comments that make some sense on the increased price, suggest as the return requirements. I've also heard HTC doesn't set the price everywhere and leaves it to the regional something or other to set their price. My understanding is many countries have built in taxes. A question in my mind is are VAT taxes include on electronics? I've heard they can be over 20% on many items.

jmkhenka

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
if the UK is anything like sweden you will miss out of a couple LTE bands. For sweden band 20 is a importaint one. You will still get LTE depending on your carrier but probably reduced cover (band 20 is the one used outside cities, 800mhz afaik).

Other then that 2g and 3g should be 100%, but better check that to.