Converted AT&T A9 to unlocked A9 - so glad I did

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
After 10 months with the HTC One A9 running on the AT&T version of the A9 ROM I finally converted it to the unlocked version of the A9 ROM. This is now like a brand new phone. On the AT&T software there were hiccups and lags and other odd behaviors. Also, having not been updated since 12/8/15 it was not patched against all the security threats that had been discovered in the following months (Quadrooter??) Now with Android 6.0.1 and whatever HTC fixed on their end this phone is just silky smooth and error free to use. I wish I had done this months ago...

I guess a nice bonus to converting my device to the retail unlocked version is that my phone will get updated to Nougat. If HTC makes good on their promises that is.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Side bonus - I sideloaded the latest Pixel Launcher and now the time/weather widget actually shows the weather like it does on all the Pixel screenshots. And the Pixel Launcher is pretty nice overall on the A9. I didn't install it as a system app (phone is completely stock, no custom recovery) so I don't have slide left to get to Google Now but I don't with the Sense Launcher either so nothing is lost there.

As it stands, with the promise of Nougat coming "soon" I think I can wait a while to decide on if I'm going to get a Pixel.

mikedolo

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
If my a9 gets nougat. i will keep it till through 2017 till something new catches my eye. Happy with the htc a9 since i converted it to the unlocked version.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
If my a9 gets nougat. i will keep it till through 2017 till something new catches my eye. Happy with the htc a9 since i converted it to the unlocked version.
I am pretty happy with it also, but I have to admit I've been using my OnePlus One alot lately as I was testing CM14.1. When the A9 finally gets the Nougat update I will switch to it permanently.