Predictions regarding HTC One A9 Nougat update

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
So, what do we think here? We're going to get it, we should even expect it before the new year. But... But will it make the software of the A9 match that of the 10? Will we have the same version of Sense? Will we get an updated Camera app? And the People, Phone, and Messages apps? I imagine that this will be the last big update for the A9 so it would sure be nice if it got all the bells and whistles now so that the device can fade into the obscurity of history gracefully. :)

So, what say you all?

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe it'll necessarily be the last big update for the device. I believe Android O will be the last major update. But I don't think it'll get the same sense version as the 10, but I could be wrong. It would be nice to have the same features. Alas manufacturers love for the High End to have features the Mid Range doesn't, that's how they draw you in. I do however hope to see the update before then end of the year. :)

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe it'll necessarily be the last big update for the device. I believe Android O will be the last major update. But I don't think it'll get the same sense version as the 10, but I could be wrong. It would be nice to have the same features. Alas manufacturers love for the High End to have features the Mid Range doesn't, that's how they draw you in. I do however hope to see the update before then end of the year. :)
When the A9 was released it was not really billed as a mid-range device even though it was spec-wise. I can't think of any reason why they'd give the 10 a different version of Sense but alas you are probably right.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
And if we are displeased with the update from HTC CM has just begun releasing 14.1 Nightlies for the A9. It's nice to have options.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I had a really good experience with my A9 yesterday even on the older Marshmallow ROM. If the battery life is improved at all with Nougat and if Sense is brought up to where it is with the 10 then the A9 will be a great phone even if it doesn't get any further updates.

Come on HTC, please keep your promise.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Well folks, looks like today is the day. You can thank me as I believe that this is a birthday present to me from HTC (kidding about the gift but it is my bday). We'll know soon enough how close our UI is to the 10 with Nougat soon. Woot.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I've got Nougat installed on a freshly factory reset A9. Very smooth OS so far but it'll be days before I know how the battery life has been affected. The UI is a nice blend of Sense and Stock. They added HTC Boost+ and I can't disable it. HTC Print Studio is dead as before but for some reason they didn't remove that package from the ROM - it can be disabled though. The rest of the apps from the previous version are all still there but they have been tweaked to fit the new UI.

So far I'm liking it.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
When the A9 was released it was not really billed as a mid-range device even though it was spec-wise. I can't think of any reason why they'd give the 10 a different version of Sense but alas you are probably right.

It's funny how the A9 is considered a "midrange phone" when it has an 8 core processor and a screen that's better (read higher quality) than the 10's old tech LCD screen. I realize the clock is slower in the A9, but still it's an octa core and plenty fast. Not to mention generous ram and storage. And yet, it's merely "mid range".

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
It's funny how the A9 is considered a "midrange phone" when it has an 8 core processor and a screen that's better (read higher quality) than the 10's old tech LCD screen. I realize the clock is slower in the A9, but still it's an octa core and plenty fast. Not to mention generous ram and storage. And yet, it's merely "mid range".

It's a higher end midrange for sure. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's high end. Subpar camera, battery, and lower res screen hold it back for me. It is a pleasure to use though!

I really like how light and skinny this phone is and it's very dependable. The fingerprint scanner is crazy fast too.

Nougat has made it even better and I'm loving the added features. Night mode is easy on the eyes and battery life seems better though could be placebo effect.