Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  • 1 Post By Kylazin
  • 1 Post By ultravisitor
  • 2 Post By RavenSword
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Default HTC One 'Google Edition' reportedly in the works

Yep.

This would be the one phone (besides the next Nexus) that I'd sell my Nexus 4 for.

HTC One 'Google Edition' with stock Android reportedly in the works | The Verge
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: HTC One 'Google Edition' reportedly in the works

I'd have the same questions I had for the S4 Google Edition. Mainly, camera quality.

And, why?

Still so many unanswered questions about what "Google Edition" really means. It's not Nexus. How close is it, though? AOSP but no factory images? Is it just "senseless"?

It'll probably cost $650. Is it worth it? Surely this will help with the development community and getting good builds of AOSP-based ROMs for the non-Google Edition versions. I think that's what most people want (yes, you'll still wait for those to get updated too).

Posted via Android Central App
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    TomsAndroid and Choorp like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

I have a lot of the same questions. We definitely need more details on what "Google Edition" really means.

Even though I'd love to own a Google edition One or S4, I just don't think they're good ideas for either company, especially HTC.

Not many people are going to pay over $600 for a cell phone, when you can get them through a carrier for much less.

Sent from my HTC One

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts

Some people don't like to be stuck on contract with a carrier.

Personally I don't understand the hype. Other then getting updates faster what is the advantage? I think sense is nicer and more polished than stock Android so I guess it comes down to preference.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    Seggzy likes this.

While I could ALMOST see why this was interesting for the SGS4, it makes no sense for the One when we already have a DE.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kylazin View Post
    Some people don't like to be stuck on contract with a carrier.
    Exactly! I buy all my phones off contract now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylazin View Post
    Personally I don't understand the hype. Other then getting updates faster what is the advantage? I think sense is nicer and more polished than stock Android so I guess it comes down to preference.
    Getting updates faster is a huge plus... Especially with HTC's history of slow updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I'd have the same questions I had for the S4 Google Edition. Mainly, camera quality.
    Exactly: without HTC's camera software, what's going to happen with the picture quality?
    TomsAndroid likes this.

It's the same problem that's with the google edition S4. What happens to all the cool software stuff like ZOE in this edition?

With the S4 I think it's a bigger issue because you have so many different sensors and features (pretty much everything that Samsung is touting like eye tracking, air gestures, etc.) that are rendered completely useless by making it stock.

I like stock android a lot, but I don't think it should be frankensteined into phones that didn't have it in mind when you lose out on actual features by doing it.
    Seggzy and TomsAndroid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    It's the same problem that's with the google edition S4. What happens to all the cool software stuff like ZOE in this edition?

With the S4 I think it's a bigger issue because you have so many different sensors and features (pretty much everything that Samsung is touting like eye tracking, air gestures, etc.) that are rendered completely useless by making it stock.

I like stock android a lot, but I don't think it should be frankensteined into phones that didn't have it in mind when you lose out on actual features by doing it.
    That's what's so awesome about the nexus phones, the hardware is optimized for the software (for the most part). So you're getting an awesome smartphone experience without any unneeded components of features
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Exactly: without HTC's camera software, what's going to happen with the picture quality?
    Unless they do something special it will suffer. Side-by-side with CM10 ROMs isn't looking good for the pic quality....

That's why I always went back to a Sense ROM with the One X. Camera performance and quality just couldn't be matched by anything else running on the phone.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    While I could ALMOST see why this was interesting for the SGS4, it makes no sense for the One when we already have a DE.
    This. Touchwiz is a bloated, ugly mess. Sense is much sleeker and runs better (in my experiences). Sense complements Android's design language, Sense tries to change it entirely. Stock Android is a definite improvement UI wise over TW, but I feel it is at best a step sideways from Sense, and more likely a step backwards.