GPe shipped with S-ON

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What is s-off and s-on? I have been hearing about it recently. Is it something to do with the bootloader on HTC devices.

S-off just gives full access and bypassing security restrictions. But with an unlocked bootloader and being able to flash having S-on is not as big of a deal as it used to be. It's much more easy to brick your device with S-off because you now have access to bypass restrictions that were protecting you. Good read below.

HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It's basically a security feature. The important issues it brings to flashers is that if you're S-ON, you cannot write to the /system while Android is booted (although some kernels know how to bypass this) and when flashing ROMs, you have to flash boot.img seperately.

Other than that, it doesn't make a big difference to most. As was said before, it's very hard to hard-brick an S-On device. For S-Off, you just need to read instructions carefully before doing anything.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When I get home I will look back through my notes and post back on how to do it. I do believe it requires S-Off to do it and some are not comfortable with going that far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge