HTC One GPE Updates

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I still don't think there is a concrete answer on it. When the 4.3 update came out, it came out at the same time for the ONE and the S4. If the updates came from the manufacturers then Google was really on them to get them out at the same time. We know that the manufacturers have to provide the source due to several features such as beats or flip cover. But I still think that the actual updates are being pushed by Google.

Sent from my Google Play Edition HTC ONE.

anon(654396)

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Software updates are from manufacturers but the actual update process is done by Google. There must be some sort of agreement between them for the GEs to be prioritized.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
4.3 is out. Does it matter who provides updates if you get said updates 2-3 weeks after released?

Posted via Android Central App

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
It does matter where the updates come from because HTC will slack off and stop supporting these low volume devices as soon as they can get away with it because it costs them money to test updates. If Google is behind it they have more responsibility to stock Android and I'm sure plenty of Googlers are enjoying these devices and want to maintain them.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app

Shirko Shirzad

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
It does matter where the updates come from because HTC will slack off and stop supporting these low volume devices as soon as they can get away with it because it costs them money to test updates. If Google is behind it they have more responsibility to stock Android and I'm sure plenty of Googlers are enjoying these devices and want to maintain them.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

To a certain extent I understand your concern and we won't truly know until it happens, but given that there's incredibly minute differences in the kernel of the HTC One compared to the Nexus devices it really can't possibly take that much time to test and update the software for the Google Edition smartphones. When 4.3 came out it was available for the HTC One some 10 days after Nexus smartphones received it. So, the testing and update process is obviously quick and simple. The only real difference between the One GPe and Nexus is that the One has touch sensitive buttons and HTC threw in BoomSound. That's very minor adjustments. All they'd have to test for is making sure those 2 things work fine.

Personally, I think GPe smartphones are safe for at least a year or two. Or, who knows, perhaps it's a contractual agreement with Google that GPe smartphones have to be maintained for a specific period of time. I don't imagine Google allowing any smartphone in the Play store that an OEM could chose to simply stop supporting it in too short of a time frame. Would make Google look just as bad since it's in their store and running their stock software.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star