Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Kenyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One GPE on T-Mobile gets stuck on EDGE

So, I've read all the information about the T-Mobile bandwidths and refarming and what not, and I'm fine with it. Where I live is kind of rural, so I only get EDGE speeds. The problem is that when I travel into a place where there is LTE or refarmed 3G, my phone will not automatically change to those higher connections. I have to go into airplane mode and then back out before it switches.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is it just my phone or this phone in general? Are there any apps/software fixes for it? I would probably be willing to do a Custom ROM if necessary.

Thanks ahead of time.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: HTC One GPE on T-Mobile gets stuck on EDGE

I don't have a solid answer for you, but I don't think a rom would solve it. It's probably more to do with radios or hardware in your device. I'd ask T-Mo what's up with that and see what they have to say.
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I agree with Scott. I had the same issue with my Sprint Epic 4G touch a longtime ago. Subsequent updates seem to have fixed that issue, which was likely a software issue either in the carrier or manufacturers end.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The radios on the GPE are based on the AT&T version's hardware. I'm not sure they are compatible with. T-Mobile.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

They're compatible, just not 100%.

Okay folks. Enough with the "HTC GPE is not compatible with T-Mobile". It IS compatible with T-mobile, you just will not get 3G/HSPA+ in non-refarmed areas, you'll get Edge. Though I can see how saying it is compatible, but not 100% would be somewhat fitting. Now, I'm on T-mobile and have taken my phone to different cities and have never had a problem having it switch automatically from E to 3G, HSPA+ or LTE. Perhaps (if possible) try visiting another city that has refarmed bands or LTE and see if it switches automatically. If it doesn't, it might be the phone. If not, as Scott suggested, give the fine folks at T-mobile a call.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I'm heading up to Seattle this evening, so I will test it out one more time there.

The phone only looks for higher signals every so often to prevent drain. Instead of airplane mode just toggle the mobile data connection from off to on. Should be quicker and force it to research again.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    The phone only looks for higher signals every so often to prevent drain. Instead of airplane mode just toggle the mobile data connection from off to on. Should be quicker and force it to research again.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    + this.

I live in Sacramento, and although T-Mobile has LTE here, it's not everywhere. Where I live I only get Edge, but the phone automatically, and immediately, shifts to LTE wherever LTE is.
    So IMO, OP problem isn't on all GPe Ones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Try selecting a different APN. I had a similar issue when I moved my SIM from Atrix2 (att) to HTC GPe. My phone was stuck on hspa although LTE was available. I tried other APNs and it worked.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app