Need help deciding AT&T HTC One with Sense or HTC One GPe

And figured I would ask over here also.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me to make the decision,
    Fred
    Banned

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Default Re: Question about GPe vs AT&T One with Sense

AT&T HTC ONE = Customizable, battery hog.

GPE = Not so Customizable, not so much battery hog.

Hope that helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred98TJ View Post
    I posted this over on the HTC One forum:

Need help deciding AT&T HTC One with Sense or HTC One GPe

And figured I would ask over here also.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me to make the decision,
    Fred
    It's obvious that the GPE will not always get updates faster than it's carriers counterpart as GPE's are still controlled by the carriers. My opinion is that get the AT&T version. This way, if you don't like it, you can always convert it to the GPE and vice versa if you get bored.
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    It's obvious that the GPE will not always get updates faster than it's carriers counterpart as GPE's are still controlled by the carriers.
    HTC One GPE updates are NOT controlled by the carriers. The updates come directly from HTC. They are delayed because HTC has to modify the new Android software from Google in order for it to work on the GPE.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by gilport; 09-08-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilport View Post
    HTC One GPE updates are NOT controlled by the carriers. The updates come directly from HTC. They are delayed because HTC has to modify the new Android software from Google in order for it to work on the GPE.

No, this has already been discussed and confirmed that the GPe versions ARE controlled by the carriers. Exactly, the updates come from hTc and not Google therefore they go through the carrier for testing and approval (baseband, Radio's, etc.). If they came directly from google...such as the Nexus... then carrier involvement is circumvented.
    Last edited by Gator352; 09-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2

I think you are confusing "carriers" with "OEMs". Carriers are the cell phone companies, such as T-mobile and AT&T. OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) are the manufacturers of the devices. HTC and Samsung (the OEM's) will be providing the updates to their respective Google Play Edition Phones, not the carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile will have nothing to do with the updates other than provide the bandwidth.
    Last edited by gilport; 09-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.

I think you are confusing "carrieres" with "OEMs". Carriers are the cell phone companies (T-mobile/ AT&T). Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEMs) are the manufacturers of the devices. HTC and Samsung (the OEM's) will be providing the updates to their respective Google Play Edition Phones, not the carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile will have nothing to do with the updates other than provide the bandwidth service.
    This. Thats why when u flash gpe on the regular one u are required to change the cid to make it a google phone and recieve updates from google and HTC.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    dcjose48 likes this.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Central n ohios best View Post
    This. Thats why when u flash gpe on the regular one u are required to change the cid to make it a google phone and recieve updates from google and HTC.

Exactly!!

I think you are confusing "carriers" with "OEMs". Carriers are the cell phone companies, such as T-mobile and AT&T. OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) are the manufacturers of the devices. HTC and Samsung (the OEM's) will be providing the updates to their respective Google Play Edition Phones, not the carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile will have nothing to do with the updates other than provide the bandwidth.
    This.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

If you look at HTC's blog post about the Google play edition, it is actually Google that sends out the updates.

" Out of the box, this special edition HTC One will run Android 4.2.2 with subsequent software updates provided by Google."

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by austriak View Post
    " Out of the box, this special edition HTC One will run Android 4.2.2 with subsequent software updates provided by Google."
    In fact, I got my GP edition HTC One a couple of weeks ago, charged it up and turned it on to play with it before I'd even gotten over the ATT store to get a sim card for it. Connected it to my home WiFi, and was almost immediately updated to 4.3. So whether it was Google or HTC behind that, it definitely wasn't my carrier. Technically I didn't even have a carrier at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Central n ohios best View Post

I was under this impression, too. I only flashed the GE ROM, and the stock recovery, didn't change my Cid, and still got the last OTA.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

at&t Mobility nor any other carrier has any influence with the Google Play Edition HTC ONE nor any other Google Play Edition Handset.

Google sends the SW to HTC, Samsung, Etc and then the manufacturer adds the needed drivers, etc. to make it work on their device.

So, "Nexi" (not sure of the plural of Nexus) phones generally receive updates first as Google controls all sides (HW,SW,etc.) of the device, Google Play Editions second as the manufacturer controls almost all aspects and finally carrier branded handsets which require final approval from the carrier.

So my wife's HTC Google Play Edition Handset receives updates directly from HTC without any intervention from AT&T her wireless provider.

Or to put it another way, at&t is simply a dumb pipe and completely agnostic from her HTC ONE GPE.

Dan