GPE One or Moto X dev edition

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Looking to pull the trigger tonight on either a GPE One or Moto X dev device. Looking for any thoughts or recommendations on which route I should take.
Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Looking to pull the trigger tonight on either a GPE One or Moto X dev device. Looking for any thoughts or recommendations on which route I should take.
Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Not sure why no one bothered to respond to your perfectly valid question. I'll chime in even though it has been a few days since you posted this and may have already decided.
It's a VERY tough choice. I've had variations of both devices(currently have the X) and I would say overall I give the X a 9 out of 10 and the ONE an 8 out of 10.

The only thing I miss not having after switching to the X is the IR Blaster. That's the only shortcoming of the X and it's not really a shortcoming as much as it is just a feature.
Here are the major categories and which is better.

Display: HTC ONE

I have never seen a device with a sharper more beautiful display that that of the HTC ONE. That being said, I was reluctant to move to the 720p display of the Moto X but to my surprise it is also sharp and I don't miss the ONE's display at all. Head to head however, I would have to go with the ONE.

Battery Life: Moto X

While the battery life on the ONE is solid, it really can't hold a candle to the great battery life the X gives you. I would say it is an easy extra hour of screen on time per day.
I will also add that the Moto X charges much faster than the HTC ONE which may be beneficial to you when your battery is dying and you need to plug in for 30 minutes or so.

Form factor: Moto X

While having the same size screen as the ONE, the Moto X fits it in to a much more compact and comfortable form factor. Everything about the ergonomics of the Moto X is pure perfection. You can tell that Motorola really put a lot of time into designing the X. Every curve and placement of volume, camera etc is just right.

As beautiful as the HTC ONE is, I think it's button layout leaves a lot to be desired. The power button placement is pretty much in the worst spot possible for such a tall device. The two capacitive keys layout is also a bit puzzling to me. I think if they could have included onscreen keys and put the power button on the side, it would have been just about a perfect layout.

Build quality: Tie

While the materials on the HTC ONE are premium. Their attention to detail is hit and miss. I have been hands on with about 4 different Moto X's and they have all been perfect. While the X doesn't use metal, the material is very solid and is nothing like the plasticy feel of a Samsung or LG device.

Features: Moto X

Features is really where the Moto X blows away every other device on the market. If we were comparing the Sense 5 version this category may be a little closer but even then it would still go to the X.
The active notifications literally change the way you use your phone. Not having to hit the power button to see if you have any calls,texts,email etc is the best.
The Motorola connect Chrome browser add on allows you to text strait from your computer plus you can see when a call is coming in or when you have missed one.
The twist feature to enable the camera is actually really nice. I thought it was a little gimmicky at first but it really is a useful feature.

The ONE GPE comes pretty stock but one great thing about it is the inclusion of Beats audio and boomsound. While the Moto X loudspeaker is louder and good quality, it can't match boomsound. In my opinion the quality of sound both through the loudspeaker and headphone jack on the ONE cannot be matched by anything currently on the market.

I know this is a lot of babbling but in the end only you can decide which is best for you. My vote goes to the X but it's a damn close contest:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad