Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SouthTex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Torn between Sense 5 and GPE Htc One...Any help?

I posted in another thread asking what the differences were between the Sense 5 from At&t an the unlocked bloatware free GPE from google play store, i think this section is more proper to post it in. I know ill get quicker updates if i go through the playstore which is $600 which may be worth it. I have the At&t version already but while Sense 5 is cool an has nice features i feel like the GPE is more sleek simple an still customizable if needed. Has anyone had issues with the play store version as in 4.3 battery drain? Htc One build quality?Is the camera quality still the same as the at&t version since the software is different an not packed with features htc one put in sense 5 made for it?Is there an ISO setting to adjust the camera if needed like it has in sense 5 (since the purple tint is annoying).

I know i can root/flash or whatever to make it like stock android but rather not.

Hope someone can help out on this! Thanks...

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Torn between Sense 5 and GPE Htc One...Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTex View Post
    I posted in another thread asking what the differences were between the Sense 5 from At&t an the unlocked bloatware free GPE from google play store, i think this section is more proper to post it in. I know ill get quicker updates if i go through the playstore which is $600 which may be worth it. I have the At&t version already but while Sense 5 is cool an has nice features i feel like the GPE is more sleek simple an still customizable if needed. Has anyone had issues with the play store version as in 4.3 battery drain? Htc One build quality?Is the camera quality still the same as the at&t version since the software is different an not packed with features htc one put in sense 5 made for it?Is there an ISO setting to adjust the camera if needed like it has in sense 5 (since the purple tint is annoying).

I know i can root/flash or whatever to make it like stock android but rather not.

You'd rather spend $600 than try rooting and flashing a custom ROM? The build quality is the same, it's the same phone. Not sure if the camera is as good since the stock software is made specifically for that phone.

Since you already own the one you should root and install the GPE. I had the one on T-Mobile and I rooted it the first day I got it. Installed 4.3 once it became available. Now it belongs to my GF. I didn't notice any extra battery drain with 4.3. People say the camera takes slightly better pictures with the sense software.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    You'd rather spend $600 than try rooting and flashing a custom ROM? The build quality is the same, it's the same phone. Not sure if the camera is as good since the stock software is made specifically for that phone.
    I just figured it would run smoother than rooting an flashing a custom rom. Im new to the whole rooting an flashing side of android,let alone its my first android device.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    Since you already own the one you should root and install the GPE. I had the one on T-Mobile and I rooted it the first day I got it. Installed 4.3 once it became available. Now it belongs to my GF. I didn't notice any extra battery drain with 4.3. People say the camera takes slightly better pictures with the sense software.

Were you getting updates pushed out to your One once rooted or you had to flash or whatever its called to get the 4.3?

Once you root you can just download the rom once it's available. I rooted the one and stayed with a stock T-Mobile rom. Once htc released the world wide edition 4.3 rom, the developers got ahold of it and made it compatible with my phone so I just had to download and install.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

I'd highly suggest unlocking the boot loader and installing a custom recovery. This way you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Run sense or gpe Roms.

Heck, you could even fully convert to a gpe with ota updates provided you haven't already accepted the new 4.3 update.

If you need any help let me know

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    Once you root you can just download the rom once it's available. I rooted the one and stayed with a stock T-Mobile rom. Once htc released the world wide edition 4.3 rom, the developers got ahold of it and made it compatible with my phone so I just had to download and install.

Oh ok so there probably isnt a way to receive updates OTA then? Also which is the best or most trusted root/flash/rom tutorial to get the GPE onto mine? Im on a Mac.
    SC1 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ne View Post
    I'd highly suggest unlocking the boot loader and installing a custom recovery. This way you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Run sense or gpe Roms.

Heck, you could even fully convert to a gpe with ota updates provided you haven't already accepted the new 4.3 update.

If you need any help let me know

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah i dont think ill be needing to run sense if i ever put the GPE on my One, i'll just stick to the GPE once its on it. Bummer on the OTA updates,i have the 4.3 on it when at&t pushed it out So that being said its somewhat impossible to get the GPE onto it with OTA updates?

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I just figured it would run smoother than rooting an flashing a custom rom. Im new to the whole rooting an flashing side of android,let alone its my first android device.

Were you getting updates pushed out to your One once rooted or you had to flash or whatever its called to get the 4.3?
    Having a rooted phone is basically like having the actual firmware. It runs just as smooth and it lets you do more stuff. For example, the hyperdrive ROM for the GS4 is almost exactly like TouchWiz, but better since you can make more adjustments and customizations.

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Having a rooted phone is basically like having the actual firmware. It runs just as smooth and it lets you do more stuff. For example, the hyperdrive ROM for the GS4 is almost exactly like TouchWiz, but better since you can make more adjustments and customizations.

Ah ok i see what you mean. I like the GPE because its sleek an simple an the camera features are so loaded like sense 5. Do you happened to know if the ISO is adjustable in GPE?

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Ah ok i see what you mean. I like the GPE because its sleek an simple an the camera features are so loaded like sense 5. Do you happened to know if the ISO is adjustable in GPE?
    In the ROM or the phone? Let me look it up for both, i'll let you know

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

It looks like you can't change the ISO on the GPE One.

Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

It looks like you can't change the ISO on the GPE One.

Thanks for looking it up! Bummer on the ISO feature. The pics he took look real similar which is no biggie. But adjusting the picture in low light without ISO seems like itll be hard unless i stay with sense 5. Is there a way to try GPE for a day or so an if i dont like the camera adjustments, i can go back to fully sense 5 again? I know i need to root,flash or RUU i just not sure which one to go with that is legit that people are using. I just hope its still possible cause im on 4.3 rright now updated from at&t OTA.

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Thanks for looking it up! Bummer on the ISO feature. The pics he took look real similar which is no biggie. But adjusting the picture in low light without ISO seems like itll be hard unless i stay with sense 5. Is there a way to try GPE for a day or so an if i dont like the camera adjustments, i can go back to fully sense 5 again? I know i need to root,flash or RUU i just not sure which one to go with that is legit that people are using. I just hope its still possible cause im on 4.3 rright now updated from at&t OTA.
    Yeah, the only way to try that would probably be rooting and flashing the ROM. Not sure how you would do it though since AT&T locks the bootloader. I rooted my S4 a few days ago and I didn't like CyanogenMod (also based on stock Android) and I unrooted it, I can do OTA updates if one comed out.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Yeah, the only way to try that would probably be rooting and flashing the ROM. Not sure how you would do it though since AT&T locks the bootloader. I rooted my S4 a few days ago and I didn't like CyanogenMod (also based on stock Android) and I unrooted it, I can do OTA updates if one comed out.

Oh ok gotcha. See, im still in my 15 day return window with at&t an only thing about ordering through google is insurance i dont think is offered like at&t has so i would need to ship it to whereever htc repairs right? I would love to try out gpe on the current One i have an see how it is an decide which one i like but like you mention it seems at&t locks bootloader so not sure on getting around it.

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Oh ok gotcha. See, im still in my 15 day return window with at&t an only thing about ordering through google is insurance i dont think is offered like at&t has so i would need to ship it to whereever htc repairs right? I would love to try out gpe on the current One i have an see how it is an decide which one i like but like you mention it seems at&t locks bootloader so not sure on getting around it.
    Yeah, not sure if you can get insurance on it at Best Buy or something like that. Try looking in the xda forums to see how they get around the bootloader. Good luck
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Yeah, not sure if you can get insurance on it at Best Buy or something like that. Try looking in the xda forums to see how they get around the bootloader. Good luck
    Ok thanks ill see what i can find...

If anyone has input on this bootloader etc please share...

My girlfriend has a Sense HTC One and I have the GPe. I get about 27 hrs battery life with 90 min talk time and 3+ hours screen time. SHe gets like half a day battery life.

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    My girlfriend has a Sense HTC One and I have the GPe. I get about 27 hrs battery life with 90 min talk time and 3+ hours screen time. SHe gets like half a day battery life.
    Yeah, I got worse battery life on a Stock ROM than on the Official Firmware