HTC's Savior?

mammo3

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Not to say that it's close to stock Android, but look at these Touchwiz elements vs. Sense: Multitasking/Recent apps is much closer to stock on Touchwiz than Sense. App association on Touchwiz vs god awful HTC linkify, granted that's not all HTC's doing thanks to US customs and Apple. Transitions when opening web links behave closer to stock on Touchwiz than Sense. The app and notification drawers are both different, but I think Touchwiz is again closer to stock than Sense. Just my opinion after using Sense for 3 years, stock on my Nexus 7 for a few months, and Touchwiz for a couple weeks.

Last edited:

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
i'm unsure how to feel about the HTC ONE. It looks like a nice phone aesthetically speaking, but even then I'm still not wowed. As far as build quality I have always preferred HTC phones but lately with this whole unibody trend I started shying away from them. One advantage plastic has over metal is that its cheap and easily replaceable. If I scratch or scuff the back plate of a samsung phone.. boom $5 gets me a new one on ebay, but scratch one of HTC more recent phones and the whole body needs replacing and that isn't to say that will be an easy task. I don't think this will be the year htc dominates the market. I think the HTC ONE will keep them from completely dropping out of relevancy and maybe gain a few followers, but unless they can demonstrate they are willing to support their hardware beyond 7 months no one is going to buy into them again. In the world we live in today consumers don't make their minds up about purchases from advertising it's mostly by word of mouth or trends. This is why apple has dominance people just wanna fit in and now the same can be said for samsung. Bad news travels faster than good news and unless positive things start being said about them soon by the general public then they wont make it. The biggest markets aren't the tech savvy or nerds but highschool & college students who just usually are comfortable owning whatever phone their friend has who usually ended up with it because someone told them it was hot. next are old folks who don't care what's popular only ease of use. "Damn a widget", they might say, I just want to make a call here and there. Which leads me into my next point. Blinkfeed or whatever they are calling it is stupid. Long gone are the days where people monitored their facebook and twitter accounts like hawks. The current solutions for getting updates and news are doing just fine and there was no need to introduce a feature that no one needed and is a staple of the UI. Unless it can be completely shut off and not just slid to the side I know I wont consider buying it. Not everyone is a social media hound.The early leaks of sense 5 lead us to believe they trimmed the fat, but in truth they look like they have gained a few pounds. I will save final judgement for when I see and play with it in person but just like alot of consumers I have basically wrote them off in favor of apple or samsung.. and I have never even owned a samsung smh.

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
once again HTC proves that they are hands down the best HARDWARE manufacturer for Android. But they're up against Samsung in the department of features and advertising. if they can't go one on one with Sammy on those fronts then it's game over before they even sell anything.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
once again HTC proves that they are hands down the best HARDWARE manufacturer for Android. But they're up against Samsung in the department of features and advertising. if they can't go one on one with Sammy on those fronts then it's game over before they even sell anything.
Well even in terms of hardware whether or not HTC is the best is going to depend on each individual's preference. Some might prefer the plastic body of Samsung's devices cause it makes them nice and light. Though that's obviously a small part of the "hardware." Still, the S4 might have even better hardware, we don't know yet.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Blinkfeed can be shut off, for those of you familiar with Sense, it's one of your "scene" options, and yeah I agree, it's stupid

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
i'm unsure how to feel about the HTC ONE. It looks like a nice phone aesthetically speaking, but even then I'm still not wowed. As far as build quality I have always preferred HTC phones but lately with this whole unibody trend I started shying away from them. One advantage plastic has over metal is that its cheap and easily replaceable. If I scratch or scuff the back plate of a samsung phone.. boom $5 gets me a new one on ebay, but scratch one of HTC more recent phones and the whole body needs replacing and that isn't to say that will be an easy task. I don't think this will be the year htc dominates the market. I think the HTC ONE will keep them from completely dropping out of relevancy and maybe gain a few followers, but unless they can demonstrate they are willing to support their hardware beyond 7 months no one is going to buy into them again. In the world we live in today consumers don't make their minds up about purchases from advertising it's mostly by word of mouth or trends. This is why apple has dominance people just wanna fit in and now the same can be said for samsung. Bad news travels faster than good news and unless positive things start being said about them soon by the general public then they wont make it. The biggest markets aren't the tech savvy or nerds but highschool & college students who just usually are comfortable owning whatever phone their friend has who usually ended up with it because someone told them it was hot. next are old folks who don't care what's popular only ease of use. "Damn a widget", they might say, I just want to make a call here and there. Which leads me into my next point. Blinkfeed or whatever they are calling it is stupid. Long gone are the days where people monitored their facebook and twitter accounts like hawks. The current solutions for getting updates and news are doing just fine and there was no need to introduce a feature that no one needed and is a staple of the UI. Unless it can be completely shut off and not just slid to the side I know I wont consider buying it. Not everyone is a social media hound.The early leaks of sense 5 lead us to believe they trimmed the fat, but in truth they look like they have gained a few pounds. I will save final judgement for when I see and play with it in person but just like alot of consumers I have basically wrote them off in favor of apple or samsung.. and I have never even owned a samsung smh.

So many inaccuracies in your statement, it's hard to know where to begin.

1. "I like cheap plastic phones because if I break mine, I can buy it new for $5 on Ebay." Yes, I understand your addiction to cheap consumer goods, that's why we move all our manufacturing over to China, no?

2. "Unless HTC vows to update the One with regular software updates, it's not going to be successful. No one will buy it." This statement is pure ignorance and just laughable, given that most most all major tech blogs have refuted this.

3. "I want a removable SD card, and if HTC doesn't offer one, I'm going to whine and flame the One because I want my removable SD card!" Too bad, 64GB is what you get. Plenty of storage for the majority, I have no problems with it.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the HTC ONE will keep them from completely dropping out of relevancy and maybe gain a few followers, but unless they can demonstrate they are willing to support their hardware beyond 7 months no one is going to buy into them again. In the world we live in today consumers don't make their minds up about purchases from advertising it's mostly by word of mouth or trends. This is why apple has dominance people just wanna fit in and now the same can be said for samsung. Bad news travels faster than good news and unless positive things start being said about them soon by the general public then they wont make it. The biggest markets aren't the tech savvy or nerds but highschool & college students who just usually are comfortable owning whatever phone their friend has who usually ended up with it because someone told them it was hot. next are old folks who don't care what's popular only ease of use.

lol.

Regular consumers don't care all too much about OS updates. Tech blogs will whine about it.

Um. Advertising and marketing is what leads to word of mouth and trends.

The iPhone 4 got tons of bad press (see: antennagate) but Apple still made money hand over fist.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Yet another person that judges the battery by its mAh number
I'll bet you $1000 my MAXX HD will outlast the One by HOURS.
Also how is 64GB disappointing? How much more do you need?
160GB was available in the iPod in 2007. A 128GB iPad is available. Music collections are large, music management programs like iTunes are nonexistent on Android (and cloud-based sucks). High fidelity audio (FLAC) requires large amounts of storage. It's 2013, we should not need to only have access to a handful of music.

However, it is extremely unlikely that this phone will have a Wolfson DAC, so the audio quality is likely to be sub-par. Beats Audio is a marketing gimmick, as it's only a software EQ curve.

I'd like to use a single mobile device as a music player, phone, video player etc. Until storage increases, multiple devices are still required.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll bet you $1000 my MAXX HD will outlast the One by HOURS.

160GB was available in the iPod in 2007. A 128GB iPad is available. Music collections are large, music management programs like iTunes are nonexistent on Android (and cloud-based sucks). High fidelity audio (FLAC) requires large amounts of storage. It's 2013, we should not need to only have access to a handful of music.

However, it is extremely unlikely that this phone will have a Wolfson DAC, so the audio quality is likely to be sub-par. Beats Audio is a marketing gimmick, as it's only a software EQ curve.

I'd like to use a single mobile device as a music player, phone, video player etc. Until storage increases, multiple devices are still required.
If it did beat the One by that much then you're obviously using it to check the time every 4 hours and nothing else.

Also, how many people do you think even came close to filling that 160GB iPod, and no-one bloody cares about that new iPad, its just another Apple money-grab. They're not gonna waste time putting in more memory for the few people that need freaking 200GB worth of stuff on their device, 64 GB is more than enough for the majority and that's what they're focusing on.

If that's what you want then buy a tablet with a microSD slot.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
If it did beat the One by that much then you're obviously using it to check the time every 4 hours and nothing else.
The MAXX HD has a 3300 mAh battery. It's nearly impossible for me to get it under 30% with heavy usage (4+ hours screen time, 3+ hours talk time).
If that's what you want then buy a tablet with a microSD slot.
If manufactures are incapable of a high capacity device (which is fine), then all I ask is a Wolfson DAC witha microSD slot. Simple, really.

BTW, do you honestly believe that most peoples digital media collection (movies & music) will fit on a 64GB device? How many 1080 resolution movies do you think will fit in 64GB?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that stores their entire music and video collections on phones are idiots imho!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!
Right, so inconvenient to have your entire collection in your hand. :confused:
I'm sure you've never wanted to listen to something you owned but wasn't on your device. :p

I wonder where HTC got it's design inspiration from :-X:

htconevsiphone5.jpg

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Dreamliner (do you work for Boeing Btw?) it's true that the One doesn't have a gigantic battery. You can't use the screen for 4 hours, and calls for 3 hours, and still have 20% battery.

If that's what you want in a phone, then don't buy it. I think HTC understands the vast market, and that most people aren't going to need 4 hours of screen use between charges.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Dreamliner (do you work for Boeing Btw?)
No, I had the screen name before the plane was announced. grr!
You can't use the screen for 4 hours, and calls for 3 hours, and still have 20% battery.

If that's what you want in a phone, then don't buy it. I think HTC understands the vast market, and that most people aren't going to need 4 hours of screen use between charges.
I'm just tired of the compromises, that's all. Imagine this device with a 3000+ mAh battery, microSD slot, Wolfson DAC and guaranteed 3 software upgrades. They could market it as the highest sound quality, longest lasting, highest resolution device.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
No, I had the screen name before the plane was announced. grr!

I'm just tired of the compromises, that's all. Imagine this device with a 3000+ mAh battery, microSD slot, Wolfson DAC and guaranteed 3 software upgrades. They could market it as the highest sound quality, longest lasting, highest resolution device.

I understand, because I've been disappointed many times myself. Lol. Fact is, there is no perfect device, and the manufacturers job is not to satisfy everyone. Their job is to sell devices, and that means looking at the market.

Frankly, I admire Motorola for their unique features too, but I'm not going to buy a smartphone with a QWERTY keypad that looks like a brick. Motorola has broken so many of their promises, and shifted directions so much, it's hard for me to really like them.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten anywhere from 12-20 hours of battery life on my Nexus 4,and thats with gps and autosync always on, a ton of widgets, and live wallpaper running. The One has a newer version of the same chipset as the 4,and a battery that's 200mah larger, battery life will be fine on it.
Also heard good things about the DNA which is also a very similar setup to the one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nice looking device... too bad HTC is not the company it needs to pull this off. To start off with, i have owned MANY htc devices dating back to the pocket PC days... i would have considered myself an HTC fan for sure. However, my most recent HTC (a one s) has left me with a bad taste and this is just too little too late.

For starters, they cant even release a flagship device with the latest operating system, what does that say for updates? My one s STILL hasnt seen a proper jelly bean update and it was promised in Oct. Yes, my phone is rooted, but thats not the point (most ports just dotn work the same). top that off with the fact that they dont really unlock their phones (which has been a big pain in the ass with my opne s) and they can eat it. I am done for now.

that being said, this is a really beautiful device, and i am sure that screen will be ridiculous. If it wasnt for the 2 reasons listed (and for ME those are BIG reasons) i would be buying this phone. Not sure though if HTC has what it takes to really make this phone the success they think it will be but i hope i am wrong.

Not sure comparing this to the One S is the right comparison. The One S is a budget device, far from a flagship. The One X, One X+ or DNA would be the more apt comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance