HTC's Savior?

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah we all gotta leave our personal feelings out of it. We all are modders and tweakers and htc just doesn't cater to us, and I don't look for that to change, but as far as sales go, Verizon sells plenty of Motorolas that are just as locked down so no it doesn't affect sales.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten anywhere from 12-20 hours of battery life on my Nexus 4,and thats with gps and autosync always on, a ton of widgets, and live wallpaper running. The One has a newer version of the same chipset as the 4,and a battery that's 200mah larger, battery life will be fine on it.
Standby time figures are meaningless, what matters is Screen-On time and Talk time.
Also heard good things about the DNA which is also a very similar setup to the one.
I bought a DNA because I wanted the high quality screen and hardware buttons. The battery dies between 4pm and 5pm with my usage. I went back to my MAXX HD, plugging in at 11pm with 30-35% left. (4+ hours screen, 3+ hours Talk).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Standby time figures are meaningless, what matters is Screen-On time and Talk time.

I bought a DNA because I wanted the high quality screen and hardware buttons. The battery dies between 4pm and 5pm with my usage. I went back to my MAXX HD, plugging in at 11pm with 30-35% left. (4+ hours screen, 3+ hours Talk).

I disagree. Standby times are just as (if not more) relevant than screen-on time. Why? Because if for some reason my phone sits on a table for 10 hours before I use it again I better be able to use it, and not have to worry about it being dead from doing nothing. I'm sorry, but anybody that says they kill a battery in 4-5 hours or whatever is just sitting there playing a game. Plug it in.

What I'm concerned with is the phone turning on when I press the power button, not getting some magic number of hours of screen-on time (because again, if you can keep the screen on for that long you can also plug it in).

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. Standby times are just as (if not more) relevant than screen-on time. Why? Because if for some reason my phone sits on a table for 10 hours before I use it again I better be able to use it, and not have to worry about it being dead from doing nothing. I'm sorry, but anybody that says they kill a battery in 4-5 hours or whatever is just sitting there playing a game. Plug it in.

What I'm concerned with is the phone turning on when I press the power button, not getting some magic number of hours of screen-on time (because again, if you can keep the screen on for that long you can also plug it in).
Battery life is extremely subject to usage. If a phone like the DNA has a big enough battery for most people, then most people barely use their phones. I'm constantly sending email, gps navigating, talking or browsing the web. I'm not near power all the time and really enjoy not having to make sure I have a charger handy. Not having to plug the phone in at the office, then in the car, then when you get back home is quite liberating.

It's quite nice to never concern myself with the power level when I press the power button, it's always more than enough. :)

fredaroony#AC

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah we all gotta leave our personal feelings out of it. We all are modders and tweakers and htc just doesn't cater to us, and I don't look for that to change, but as far as sales go, Verizon sells plenty of Motorolas that are just as locked down so no it doesn't affect sales.

They dont cater for us and is why they won't be getting my money. Wonder how many other people out there just like me?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is extremely subject to usage. If a phone like the DNA has a big enough battery for most people, then most people barely use their phones. I'm constantly sending email, gps navigating, talking or browsing the web. I'm not near power all the time and really enjoy not having to make sure I have a charger handy. Not having to plug the phone in at the office, then in the car, then when you get back home is quite liberating.

It's quite nice to never concern myself with the power level when I press the power button, it's always more than enough. :)

It may be liberating, but you're acting like having the phone plugged in sitting on a desk is so confining that you can't just unplug it and go when you need to. That's what I do. Plug it in if I think I might need to (like if I'm going somewhere after work), just to give it that extra little oomph. Or use the car charger.

This being a Qualcomm device it'll have quickcharge 1.0, which mean it'll charge faster then the "average" phone. I have to say that my Nexus 4 can charge pretty quickly, and it's taking advantage of quick charge. I went from completely dead to 69% in a little over an hour.

So, like I said, saying you can't find that little bit of time during the day to give it a charge is almost unbelievable. Maybe if you're a soldier in combat.....

But I guess to each their own. I'm not going to pass up a device just because I might have to plug it in for a half hour mid-day to make it as long as I need to. And yes, it charges just as quickly on the car charger.

As for storage I do understand, but obviously you can't please everyone. SD cards are on their way out. Internal storage only is the future. So is the cloud (to an extent). Best to start learning to deal with it now. Maybe OTG is the answer here.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I put this in another post about the One, but will add it here too:

The battery should be big enough to last two years. I don't want to have to charge it. Ever. Also, removable or go home.

Forum Post for context

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
So many inaccuracies in your statement, it's hard to know where to begin.

1. "I like cheap plastic phones because if I break mine, I can buy it new for $5 on Ebay." Yes, I understand your addiction to cheap consumer goods, that's why we move all our manufacturing over to China, no?

2. "Unless HTC vows to update the One with regular software updates, it's not going to be successful. No one will buy it." This statement is pure ignorance and just laughable, given that most most all major tech blogs have refuted this.

3. "I want a removable SD card, and if HTC doesn't offer one, I'm going to whine and flame the One because I want my removable SD card!" Too bad, 64GB is what you get. Plenty of storage for the majority, I have no problems with it.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

If you're going to quote me then quote me right......

1. I have always preferred HTC's build quality over every other manufactures' hence the reason I have owned every EVO up until this point. My comment was more directed to the unibody approach. I don't have to surgically remove the display from the body of the phone just because I scuffed the back ( don't want a case ) The orginal evo was anything but cheap as far as build goes, but you could replace the housing with little effort or swap battery covers if that was all that was damaged. P.S our addiction to china is anything but to the cheap. all of your precious metal, metallic, polycarbonate, blah blah will probably be produced there as well. so if you want to pay more for it once it gets here just to say you splurged a little go for it .

2. I said people, i.e you and me that sit on sites like this and boo hoo about not receiving the latest .. android version x.x.x after only one update by HTC, may not be willing to buy their phones unless they prove they are willing to support them longer than a few months. Take notice at how many ONE X users complain of not getting their jellybean builds yet or thunderbolt owners who just recently received ICS to never have HTC pay attention to them again. Just take a look around this site at how many people have vowed to not buy a HTC device again because of their lack of support for legacy devices, even those fully capable of running the latest software as evident by the custom rom community .YES some people still keep their phones the whole 2yr contract. Also I was taking note at the popularity of Nexus devices. It isn't just for the pure android experience, but in knowing that updates will come more than once and in a timely manner. Of course there will be people who are completely happy with their device as is and won't care if it ever gets updated in the future but there are still alot that do.. I point again to the overwhelming success of the nexus line

3. I re-read my post 2x and not once did I mention anything about storage capacity or SD cards. so ummm.... yeah

I don't mind you having an opinion about something someone says but make sure you understand where they may be coming from first before you just dismiss them. everybody does not and will not think or feel the same way you do.

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
lol.

Regular consumers don't care all too much about OS updates. Tech blogs will whine about it.

Um. Advertising and marketing is what leads to word of mouth and trends.

The iPhone 4 got tons of bad press (see: antennagate) but Apple still made money hand over fist.

you're right regular customers don't care too much about OS updates, but the phone enthusiast, that's me and hopefully you, actually do. People around me are aware of my passion for phones and always, and I mean always, ask me which one is better or which one they should purchase. So if they are coming to people like me and I say if you plan on keeping XYZ phone for X amount of years I would recommend _________. So we do actually play a role in the purchasing power of the uninitiated and if we don't like a phone or any other electronic for that matter we will also deter others from purchasing it as well, but the same can be said for things that we do like. I know alot of women who have the GS3 and the reason they said they purchased it was because a friend or guy at the store said it was popular and everyone else was buying it. I agree marketing is something else and I can't completely discount it. I've ate more than one hamburger from hardees just because the commercial made it look good lol, but that's just the start as you said because that may get the people talking about it but if someone has had a negative experience with a company they will be sure to tell you about it. I do agree thou those samsung commericals crack me up so I know they will get a fair share of sales based on advertising. antennagate was just the world picking at apple. Not saying it didn't happen or wasn't serious enough but the reason they thrived through that is because regardless of that issue your cousin bought one, your aunt, and brother in law. people didnt care because the general public wasn't aware of the issue and since my mother's auntie cousin nieces all had one their friends and family also bought one.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
They dont cater for us and is why they won't be getting my money. Wonder how many other people out there just like me?

I feel your pain man, I'm just like you. I lost $170 total in 2012 replacing my 2 HTC devices with nexus devices. As of now I won't buy anything from them

The One looks like a great phone, perfect hardware wise in about every way, but I still think about my 2 devices updates that brought a plethora of bugs and then we're left for dead, and the "wire trick" to s-off on the vivid, and the worst part after you waste a whole evening getting it completely unlocked, s-off, and rooted, all you got is a bunch of modified stock roms.

But like I said earlier, we are the minority and are pocket change in terms of sales.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
you're right regular customers don't care too much about OS updates, but the phone enthusiast, that's me and hopefully you, actually do. People around me are aware of my passion for phones and always, and I mean always, ask me which one is better or which one they should purchase. So if they are coming to people like me and I say if you plan on keeping XYZ phone for X amount of years I would recommend _________. So we do actually play a role in the purchasing power of the uninitiated and if we don't like a phone or any other electronic for that matter we will also deter others from purchasing it as well, but the same can be said for things that we do like. I know alot of women who have the GS3 and the reason they said they purchased it was because a friend or guy at the store said it was popular and everyone else was buying it. I agree marketing is something else and I can't completely discount it. I've ate more than one hamburger from hardees just because the commercial made it look good lol, but that's just the start as you said because that may get the people talking about it but if someone has had a negative experience with a company they will be sure to tell you about it. I do agree thou those samsung commericals crack me up so I know they will get a fair share of sales based on advertising. antennagate was just the world picking at apple. Not saying it didn't happen or wasn't serious enough but the reason they thrived through that is because regardless of that issue your cousin bought one, your aunt, and brother in law. people didnt care because the general public wasn't aware of the issue and since my mother's auntie cousin nieces all had one their friends and family also bought one.

I'm that guy too.

But then something happened.

When the Galaxy S III rolled around, instead of asking "what phone should I get?" they were asking "should I get the Galaxy S III?"

Marketing. It works.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm that guy too.

But then something happened.

When the Galaxy S III rolled around, instead of asking "what phone should I get?" they were asking "should I get the Galaxy S III?"

Marketing. It works.

"they" being the operative word, lol.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the screen is a big selling point for me. I'm also considering the Sony Xperia Z, and although I like the design better, the screen doesn't seem on par with the One. I've never owned an HTC phone before, but the fact that they clearly have the best screens on the market is making me seriously think about getting it. Does anyone know who makes their screens? I read that Sony uses screens made by Sharp. I was wondering who HTC goes with. I'm also a fan of BlinkFeed, it reminds me of something similar that I liked on the Nokia N9.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Last edited:

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah HTCs have killer screens and cameras, their new camera sounds weird but I trust them when they say it'll be good. My 8mp shooter on my vivid still owns every other phones camera I've ever had, including the nexus 4.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah HTCs have killer screens and cameras, their new camera sounds weird but I trust them when they say it'll be good. My 8mp shooter on my vivid still owns every other phones camera I've ever had, including the nexus 4.

But now they're gonna need something alot more than a phone with a good screen and camera. They need to convince people that the One is the phone to get through marketing. Something they haven't done a good job of with their previous devices.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure a One S is the right comparison. The One S was a budget phone to the One X as a flagship.

The One S was not a budget phone (sure cost me enough on T-Mo!),,, It was a mid-high end phone - except for screen size and resolution, the One S had very close specs to the One X.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The One S was not a budget phone (sure cost me enough on T-Mo!),,, It was a mid-high end phone - except for screen size and resolution, the One S had very close specs to the One X.

Exactly the one v was the budget phone hence why its on the prepaid companies the one s was T-Mobiles version of the one x since att had exclusive rights to the x version

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
But now they're gonna need something alot more than a phone with a good screen and camera. They need to convince people that the One is the phone to get through marketing. Something they haven't done a good job of with their previous devices.

I agree. Honestly I'm already a bit more impressed, since it's one phone on 3 out of 4 major us carriers. As for Verizon, not surprising since they are so hard to work with anyway. Most like it'll come out as some sort of droid incredible refresh since that's the name that won't die.

Still marketing marketing marketing! I see as many galaxy s3s as iphones but only one person I know has a variant of the one x, and it's not the one x, it's the evo lte. They really need a campaign that directly attacks Samsung. Samsung used that strategy against apple and it worked, htc should follow suit.

T68

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Three things are important for success:

- Marketing
Comment: not HTC:s strong side. Hope they can step up the game here.

- Screen
Comment: 90% of what you experience from a phone is related to the screen. Good screen = Happy user. HTC One seems to have a good chance on this departement

- Touchability
Comment: the device must be nice to hold and feel. From what I?ve seen the One is premium in this department.

So HTC seems to have got 2 out of 3 right with the One. Might work.

...if they then just could get Justin Bieber to use it and show it off they got it made :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie