No verizon??

Garrett92C

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Why can't HTC just sell the One as a developer/off-contract phone that works on Verizon? I'd gladly pay full retail for a bloat-free and unadulterated HTC One that I could use on Verizon's network. I'm tired of the crap on Verizon's phones that I do not want!!!

CDMA and the fact that Verizon has a white list of allowed devices. If you're interested in carrier freedom, I'd suggest moving to a GSM network like AT&T or T-Mobile. Ever since I left Sprint years ago, I can't see myself ever going back to a locked-down carrier. With Verizon and Sprint, you use the phone they want you to. With GSM, you can use pretty much any phone in the world.

zhawks

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
CDMA and the fact that Verizon has a white list of allowed devices. If you're interested in carrier freedom, I'd suggest moving to a GSM network like AT&T or T-Mobile. Ever since I left Sprint years ago, I can't see myself ever going back to a locked-down carrier. With Verizon and Sprint, you use the phone they want you to. With GSM, you can use pretty much any phone in the world.

The Nexus 4 tempts me on a daily basis to jump ship, but AT&T and T-mobile coverage isn't the greatest where I live. US Cellular is the only other option besides Verizon. I'll just have to buy developer edition or Nexus phones if I stay with Verizon. It would be interesting to see if Phone manufacturers like HTC could side step the carrier branding (etc.) by offering off-contract/unlocked phones directly to customers to create more brand identity for themselves. I can only imagine the lawsuits coming from Verizon claiming that such unlocked phones put their network in jeopardy.

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Coming to verizon as the Thunderbolt Deux.

edit:// if not this phone, then soon we should be seeing something about a phone with a radio to handle us some voLTE.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you all talking about the tiny branding on the home button? Are you not saddened by the huge Verizon branding on the front of every HTC and Motorola phone? Is it simply the placement on the home button that bothers people?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/20/9y4uzeje.jpg

Back on topic, I hope VZW gets a variation of this phone, and a new Motorola X or whatever it might be. Add the new GS4 coming soon, that's a powerful lineup for 2013!

I'm not saddened by the Verizon branding on the front of every HTC and Motorola phone for Verizon because I understand that we are not the customer for those HTC and Motorola phones. Verizon is.

That said, it was an absolute dick move by Verizon to slap their logo on the home button of the Galaxy Note 2.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saddened by the Verizon branding on the front of every HTC and Motorola phone for Verizon because I understand that we are not the customer for those HTC and Motorola phones. Verizon is.

That said, it was an absolute dick move by Verizon to slap their logo on the home button of the Galaxy Note 2.

I totally get what you are saying, still not a big deal for me. At least if VZW gets this phone, there is very little room for Verizon branding on the front...although I'm sure they will find a way if possible!

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
The Nexus 4 tempts me on a daily basis to jump ship, but AT&T and T-mobile coverage isn't the greatest where I live. US Cellular is the only other option besides Verizon. I'll just have to buy developer edition or Nexus phones if I stay with Verizon. It would be interesting to see if Phone manufacturers like HTC could side step the carrier branding (etc.) by offering off-contract/unlocked phones directly to customers to create more brand identity for themselves. I can only imagine the lawsuits coming from Verizon claiming that such unlocked phones put their network in jeopardy.

You can't do that with CDMA phones. The ESN has to be in the system for the phone to work on the network. So, unless approved by Verizon, It's a no go.

There have been some developer phones available, I would also like to see that option pick up. They're approved by VZW, but bought from the manufacturer. (Not sure about branding on the phone though)

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Guess it might be time to finally sever ties with Verizon after many years. Both Sprint and AT&T have made major inroads expanding LTE in my area. I like the DNA but not enough to pay $600 off-contract for it to keep my unlimited data.

The HTC One really appeals to me so far. I'm looking forward to hitting a retail store once this becomes available. There is no substitute for some hands-on experience IMHO but I can actually imagine myself changing carriers at this point. Not just because of the One but there have been many little things about Verizon and their attitude towards their customers as time has passed that are all adding up to one big PITA.

The tipping point has been reached.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I totally get what you are saying, still not a big deal for me. At least if VZW gets this phone, there is very little room for Verizon branding on the front...although I'm sure they will find a way if possible!

I am saddened by the branding on the Droid DNA and the Moto phones. I'm not buying a Verizon phone, I'm buying a <insert brand name here> phone. Sadly that's not how Verizon sees things, so we get logos. The way they treated the Note 2, however, is shameful; talk about shoehorning in the logo at any cost.

As for a hypothetical Verizon HTC One, it would not surprise me if they replaced HTC's logo with their own.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You can't do that with CDMA phones. The ESN has to be in the system for the phone to work on the network. So, unless approved by Verizon, It's a no go.

There have been some developer phones available, I would also like to see that option pick up. They're approved by VZW, but bought from the manufacturer. (Not sure about branding on the phone though)

Technically, it's not a CDMA issue. It's an issue with how Verizon and Sprint have implemented access to their CDMA networks.

Just sayin'.

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Guess it might be time to finally sever ties with Verizon after many years. Both Sprint and AT&T have made major inroads expanding LTE in my area. I like the DNA but not enough to pay $600 off-contract for it to keep my unlimited data.

The HTC One really appeals to me so far. I'm looking forward to hitting a retail store once this becomes available. There is no substitute for some hands-on experience IMHO but I can actually imagine myself changing carriers at this point. Not just because of the One but there have been many little things about Verizon and their attitude towards their customers as time has passed that are all adding up to one big PITA.

The tipping point has been reached.

I agree. I think this has done it for me. I've been following the M7 One development online since December. I want that phone.
I'm NOT getting the DNA.

I'm looking into breaking my contract and moving on. This is the phone I've been waiting for. It appeals to me a lot.

bamabun

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is seriously the worst. I really do hate them. Sadly, my hands are tied, they have the best coverage in my area. when i see stuff like this, phone selection, release delays, the delays of firmware/software, locked bootloaders, the pricing structure, upgrade structure, etc. it makes me insane, then once i calm down, back to reality. stuck!

they are sooo stupid. there executive team is a bunch of idiots!!!! a couple of MAJOR idiotic decisions were passing on SIRI and passing on iPhone....NICE, that just goes to show their leadership is lacking smart forward thinking people.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is seriously the worst. I really do hate them. Sadly, my hands are tied, they have the best coverage in my area. when i see stuff like this, phone selection, release delays, the delays of firmware/software, locked bootloaders, the pricing structure, upgrade structure, etc. it makes me insane, then once i calm down, back to reality. stuck!

Why don't you give someone else a try?

they are sooo stupid. there executive team is a bunch of idiots!!!! a couple of MAJOR idiotic decisions were passing on SIRI and passing on iPhone....NICE, that just goes to show their leadership is lacking smart forward thinking people.

Initially passing on the iPhone was a definite blunder but in know way did that pass on Siri. Before Apple bought Siri, Verizon had a deal that would have made Siri an integral part of their DROID line. Apple bought Siri and put an end to that deal.

drumzalicious

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The DNA is not a suitable replacement for this phone. The DNA to some of us is on the large side of phones. Also it is restricted to 16GB of internal storage. I was super excited for this phone and now I am just stuck since I have 4 lines on Verizon and the contracts won't all be over until the end of this year.

It's even worse when I work for Best Buy Mobile and I see the AT&T and Sprint side of the store constantly getting new phones that Verizon doesn't get (HTC One Series and LG Optimus G most notably).

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
im on verizon an the statement that verizon likes to space out releases is so true. im fine with them passing for now...an as phil hinted at. there will be a variant that will replace the dna. dna was good i almost replaced my thunderbolt with it. but found a steal on gal nexus. i 100% agree with the person that said droid incredible one. dna was last years variant of the one series. verizon might also have pass knowing what samsung has coming. but personally im waiting for the moto x / next nexus. lets just hope verizon doesnt miss those.