Small battery

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
While the Evo LTE's battery is "non-removable", it is possible to replace it by removing the screen. Just wanting to swap a battery after a couple years shouldn't be too bad. The people who somehow burn through their battery by lunch time (do your jobs require nonstop phone usage?!) and want to swap them daily are the ones who will have the big problems with this.

With rechargeable power supplies/external batteries, the problem doesn't seem so big.

Garrett92C

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
With rechargeable power supplies/external batteries, the problem doesn't seem so big.

Buying a portable power supply was the best investment I made in a long time. Not only is it small enough to carry around on my person, but it will charge any of my phones/devices. Much more versatile than buying extra batteries that can only be used in one device.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is like saying gas tank size is the biggest factor when talking about how far a car can go on a tank. I guess you all are pissed at the car manufactures for no putting 30 gallon plus tank in sedans too? O the ignorance...

No one here knows about the battery life. Wait and see unless you just want to blindly bash the device and give it the false reputation for bad battery life just you all did the DNA.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
All these specs look amazing but a 2300 mah battery just doesnt cut it in my opinion anymore. People already complain about the dna having bad battery life I cant imagine this phone with a bigger processor and better screen.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

I have the DNA and I hardly ever hear anyone complain about the battery life. No, it's not as good as the Razr Maxx HD or Note 2 which have 50%+ more battery capacity, but it gets me through the day. At the moment, my phone has been off the charger for 9 hours and I'm at 66%. Today I have listened to 4 hours of podcasts, taken about 10 phone calls, surfed the web, and sent some texts and emails. That's not too bad imo. Don't sell the One short until we see some real world results; I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Buying a portable power supply was the best investment I made in a long time. Not only is it small enough to carry around on my person, but it will charge any of my phones/devices. Much more versatile than buying extra batteries that can only be used in one device.

Any models you would recommend? I might pick one up too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Spot on.

Garrett92C

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Any models you would recommend? I might pick one up too.

I've only tried out one model so far, so I can't really offer advice about which one may be best for your uses. I have an Anker 5600mAh charger and it's treated me well over the past year.

Maybe check out this post? I know it's webOS-specific, but this article contains a pretty good comparison of available portable power supplies. They should work fine with Android devices too. I'm sure there are tons of similar comparison articles out there.

threepackape

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
It's not really fair to compare the DNA to the One. The One has a smaller screen and a 2300 mAh battery. The DNA's battery is 2020 mAh. Let's wait until the first in depth reviews come out before bashing the battery.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

I agree...

but I also wonder how much it will cost to get the battery replaced after the warranty runs out.

I hate iPhones because of non-removable battery, but at least Apple is very generous with battery replacement service.(reasonably priced)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I've only tried out one model so far, so I can't really offer advice about which one may be best for your uses. I have an Anker 5600mAh charger and it's treated me well over the past year.

Maybe check out this post? I know it's webOS-specific, but this article contains a pretty good comparison of available portable power supplies. They should work fine with Android devices too. I'm sure there are tons of similar comparison articles out there.

I'll do some research then when I have more time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

qICEM4Np

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
No I meant better screen because its better than the dna also I wasnt trying to bash the phones battery life I hope it gets great battery life but just going off of specs I would say its questionable. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
No I meant better screen because its better than the dna also I wasnt trying to bash the phones battery life I hope it gets great battery life but just going off of specs I would say its questionable. Just my humble opinion.

Based on specs, unless Sense 5 turns out to be a power hungry monster, it would be reasonable to assume that the battery will be better than the DNA, which already manages to get universally decent battery life considering its 5" 1080 screen and "small" battery.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

You forgot the best part....there is no need to power down the device and stop whatever it was that you were doing. Better than the infamous "quick swap" that some swear by. There's nothing quick about: power off, remove cover, replace battery, replace back cover that fell on ground, reboot, wait, wait, wait, start.

Dude1134

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It will probably have excellent battery life. Haha I can't wait to get a new phone. Im still rockin 1500 mah. Which I believe is close to the i5 actually, mah isnt everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Exhibit 4G using Android Central

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

You forgot the best part....there is no need to power down the device and stop whatever it was that you were doing. Better than the infamous "quick swap" that some swear by. There's nothing quick about: power off, remove cover, replace battery, replace back cover that fell on ground, reboot, wait, wait, wait, start.

But your phone is still tethered to the portable power supply for the duration it takes to charge. It's the same thing even with wireless charging. In either case, it's not very practical to put the whole charging unit and phone up to your ear or hold both while trying to use the phone. With a user replaceable battery, that's not the case as the phone is free to be used untethered to anything. As to the time to swap out a battery, it's a heck of lot shorter than the time it takes to wait for a charge while you're tethered to some type of charger. I take my time and have it done in two minutes tops. Not to mention an occasional power down and reboot reloads/refreshes the operating system and keeps things running smoothly as Android tends to get laggy the longer it's been running (even my Nexus 7 with vanilla Android and minimal installed apps does). Until battery tech drastically changes, you'll never convince me a sealed/embedded battery is better than a user replaceable one. :)

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
But your phone is still tethered to the portable power supply for the duration it takes to charge. It's the same thing even with wireless charging. In either case, it's not very practical to put the whole charging unit and phone up to your ear or hold both while trying to use the phone. With a user replaceable battery, that's not the case as the phone is free to be used untethered to anything. As to the time to swap out a battery, it's a heck of lot shorter than the time it takes to wait for a charge while you're tethered to some type of charger. I take my time and have it done in two minutes tops. Not to mention an occasional power down and reboot reloads/refreshes the operating system and keeps things running smoothly as Android tends to get laggy the longer it's been running (even my Nexus 7 with vanilla Android and minimal installed apps does). Until battery tech drastically changes, you'll never convince me a sealed/embedded battery is better than a user replaceable one. :)

I could say the opposite myself. My phone is on a charger at least 70% of the day, and not because it has to, but because having it tethered is such a nonissue that I really just don't care. If I need it to make a call, I unplug it; I'd do the same thing with a portable battery pack. Having to pull the battery out, or put one in, actually annoys me and has annoyed me for every one of the four times I even had to do it; two of those four times was from dropping the phone and the battery falling out; one was to clean it; the last was because I had to take the battery out to put the SD card in. What if my embedded battery dies? Well, if it's on warranty, I'd get a replacement; if the device is not, there would now be a reason to catch up with the latest and greatest. With how the smartphone industry is, I don't see a real need for user replaceable batteries.

I have a Thunderbolt if that puts anything into perspective.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I could say the opposite myself. My phone is on a charger at least 70% of the day, and not because it has to, but because having it tethered is such a nonissue that I really just don't care. If I need it to make a call, I unplug it; I'd do the same thing with a portable battery pack. Having to pull the battery out, or put one in, actually annoys me and has annoyed me for every one of the four times I even had to do it; two of those four times was from dropping the phone and the battery falling out; one was to clean it; the last was because I had to take the battery out to put the SD card in. What if my embedded battery dies? Well, if it's on warranty, I'd get a replacement; if the device is not, there would now be a reason to catch up with the latest and greatest. With how the smartphone industry is, I don't see a real need for user replaceable batteries.

I have a Thunderbolt if that puts anything into perspective.

Yikes! Having to constantly un-plug/plug into a charge to keep the phone topped off would drive me crazy, not to mention put a lot of wear and tear on the USB port. Even when I had the Thunderbolt I never did that, instead preferred the option to replace a battery on the fly. Now with the Note 2 I don't need to do that as often, but having the option is invaluable to me as I can use the phone however I wish without having to worry about grabbing a charge here or there or having the phone stuck to a charger for the duration to fully charge the battery. Instead I already have a fully charged spare battery waiting to go at any time, just swap and go. But to each their own, whatever works best for you. :) I simply refuse to yield to a sealed/embedded battery. Too many negatives to any real positives IMO. Besides, why take away choice? Even if you have a phone with a user-replaceable battery, you don't have to swap it out if you don't want to, whereas those of us who do lose the option altogether with a sealed/embedded battery. :(

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion the DNA and HTC one pretty much even each other out on pros and cons since the pros are by such a minimal margin. The HTC one has a smaller screen than the DNA with a more dense pixel arrangement (which is honestly irrelevant since the human eye cant detect the pixels at that large a number without a micro lense) a slightly faster processor by .2 ghz, a slighty larger battery, but less megapixels in the camera (even though they are "super pixels" I would have to see to believe), and both have nonexpandable storage, although the HTC one will be available in larger Gb versions. The HTC one has the new sense, but runs on the same older version of android as the DNA. Since the DNA was released earlier, its likely to recieve a 4.2 sooner than the HTC one if it ever does. To DNA owners who feel injusticed for buying a device just to have one come out that would trump it, its irrelevent if you are a Verizon customer since it will not be coming to verizon, and if it does, it will be a year down the road branded with a different name and already outdated.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

It's also a completely different chip, not just a slight bump in clockspeed. I'm sure there are some efficiency gains there, too, knowing Qualcomm.

Watching this thread is entertaining. Same as it was when the DNA came out. Only to find out the DNA got really good battery life. Especially when compared to what people "expected" out of the "small" battery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I actually laughed out loud when I started reading this thread. I can't believe people are pointing to that 2300 mah spec and again assuming its too small. I guess some people didn't learn from the DNA. There is so much more than mah that goes into a phones battery life that you can't make those decisions based on a spec sheet. As a DNA owner, my average battery life is over 30 hours. That's without any battery saving actions because I don't think you should have to baby your phone to get it to last a day or more. I have been more than happy with my battery life on the DNA, and with the smaller screen on the HTC One, and (assumed) more efficient processor I would bet its gonna be good.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually laughed out loud when I started reading this thread. I can't believe people are pointing to that 2300 mah spec and again assuming its too small. I guess some people didn't learn from the DNA. There is so much more than mah that goes into a phones battery life that you can't make those decisions based on a spec sheet. As a DNA owner, my average battery life is over 30 hours. That's without any battery saving actions because I don't think you should have to baby your phone to get it to last a day or more. I have been more than happy with my battery life on the DNA, and with the smaller screen on the HTC One, and (assumed) more efficient processor I would bet its gonna be good.

Your bragging about idle time? Screen on time is most important. Who cares how long a Ferrari can idle for?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1