Small battery

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Your bragging about idle time? Screen on time is most important. Who cares how long a Ferrari can idle for?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Not bragging simply saying don't judge a book by its cover. And I said nothing of idle time. My normal usage is 2-3 hours screen on time.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yikes! Having to constantly un-plug/plug into a charge to keep the phone topped off would drive me crazy, not to mention put a lot of wear and tear on the USB port. Even when I had the Thunderbolt I never did that, instead preferred the option to replace a battery on the fly. Now with the Note 2 I don't need to do that as often, but having the option is invaluable to me as I can use the phone however I wish without having to worry about grabbing a charge here or there or having the phone stuck to a charger for the duration to fully charge the battery. Instead I already have a fully charged spare battery waiting to go at any time, just swap and go. But to each their own, whatever works best for you. :) I simply refuse to yield to a sealed/embedded battery. Too many negatives to any real positives IMO. Besides, why take away choice? Even if you have a phone with a user-replaceable battery, you don't have to swap it out if you don't want to, whereas those of us who do lose the option altogether with a sealed/embedded battery. :(

There's nothing wrong with choice. Heck, I believe people either think I'm crazy or a masochist for still using my Thunderbolt without an extended battery, or even a second battery...and then I tell them how I can actually make it last all day. ;) (without charging at all) While a user replacable battery is a convenience to you, it's an inconvenience to me; not the option of having one, but the actual act of doing it. Different people, different views

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Andru 1A USB Charger - Android Chargers & Cables

+ With this little guy, how would you NOT want to whip out your charger? I bought one of these for my phone (eyes light up, arms, move, it's awesome) and now two more people at work have purchased them for their S3's. We all have removable batteries, but no one is swapping. And I do have the extra battery/charger system, but my wife uses it for her phone and I prefer to connect it. When I'm in the office it's easy to keep the phone on the charger, because calls can be made via bluetooth. Also have the external battery for emergencies. Honestly, I leave the extra battery at home. The charger I linked is by far the coolest charging solution in the world (except maybe wireless) and thus instead of crying about removing the battery, instead we should show shop android some love and get this superior solution. It's win-win baby.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Your bragging about idle time? Screen on time is most important. Who cares how long a Ferrari can idle for?

I do. I don't keep the screen on all the time. I want it to be able to idle for a VERY long time. Because when I pick my phone up and press the power button I want the screen to turn on. That's what's most important, for my phone to have juice when I NEED it to have juice, not just when the screen is on and I'm doing something.

I mean seriously, get over screen on time. If you need the screen to be on that much then you need to either be by a charger or have an external battery pack. Or get a different phone.

Also, while I'm kind of ranting, why do we worry SO much about battery life anyway? I would bet the vast majority of people don't and just plug in the phone when it says to (or at night when they get home). I'm gone from home for maybe 14 hours a day. I know that I can get 14 hours of battery life. Easy. If I think I might use my phone more then I'll make sure I have a way to charge it. (actually, full disclosure, I can charge my phone anytime I want, but I don't)

crazy_vag

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
When I got a Samsung S3, I would take it off the charger at 8:30am, and by 9pm, it was dead. I spend my day running in between meetings, so charging is not always possible. I also take a train to work, so tunnels and extra use then takes a toll. If I'm meeting friends for dinner at 8:30pm, the phone is useless. To help out, I got a 3500mAh extended battery for it, and now the phone drops to about 30% by around 10pm, although with heavy usage, I've had it down to 0% in about 13 hours.

I don't see the new Qualcom chips + LCD 3 being better enough to give me the equivalent of 3500mAh runtime. Plus, the longer I have my phone, the more cool apps I find that drain the battery even more.

I'd love to take the new HTC One, port all my current apps to it, and see how it fares in my typical day.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
When I got a Samsung S3, I would take it off the charger at 8:30am, and by 9pm, it was dead. I spend my day running in between meetings, so charging is not always possible. I also take a train to work, so tunnels and extra use then takes a toll. If I'm meeting friends for dinner at 8:30pm, the phone is useless. To help out, I got a 3500mAh extended battery for it, and now the phone drops to about 30% by around 10pm, although with heavy usage, I've had it down to 0% in about 13 hours.

I don't see the new Qualcom chips + LCD 3 being better enough to give me the equivalent of 3500mAh runtime. Plus, the longer I have my phone, the more cool apps I find that drain the battery even more.

I'd love to take the new HTC One, port all my current apps to it, and see how it fares in my typical day.

Are you literally running between meetings? Or are you in a car? Use a car charger then. On the train are you sitting down? External battery pack. Not saying it can't be a pain, but there are ways to manage it. And no matter what, you will have to manage it.

integralus

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know the most about battery tech, but why is no one mentioning the fact that the One is using a lithium polymer as opposed to the DNA's lithium ion? Does this not matter?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
In experience with the lg optimus g not one bit the battery will endure more charge cycles prior to degrading. Software has more to do with it
Edit
And I like a lot of people would prefer not to have phone tethered to a charger a few times a day to get through a regular days use which for me is off the charger at 6am back on the charger at 11pm with moderate usage. Though I must admit HTC does a much better job than lg at building a kernel with good performance to longevity trade off

Last edited:

crazy_vag

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you literally running between meetings? Or are you in a car? Use a car charger then. On the train are you sitting down? External battery pack. Not saying it can't be a pain, but there are ways to manage it. And no matter what, you will have to manage it.

I walk to the train station (catching up in twitter in case there are train delays), then take a shuttle from the train station to work. Yea, just don't see the point of a battery pack if a larger battery is much much smaller. It's just hassle to remember to plug the phone in all the time. The technology is out there with extended batteries for phones with removable covers (like Samsung S3) or just phones with larger phones like LG Optimus Pro G and Razr Maxx. Droid RAZR max adds about 2mm for the model with 3500mAh battery, so it's not too hard to do.

The battery packs are great for girls with purses, but not for guys with pockets.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I walk to the train station (catching up in twitter in case there are train delays), then take a shuttle from the train station to work. Yea, just don't see the point of a battery pack if a larger battery is much much smaller. It's just hassle to remember to plug the phone in all the time. The technology is out there with extended batteries for phones with removable covers (like Samsung S3) or just phones with larger phones like LG Optimus Pro G and Razr Maxx. Droid RAZR max adds about 2mm for the model with 3500mAh battery, so it's not too hard to do.

The battery packs are great for girls with purses, but not for guys with pockets.

I guess what I'm saying is, how much of a hassle is it really to plug your phone in at work? Takes me maybe 10 seconds. Or do you not have any available outlets anywhere? I know not all workplace environments are the same, but I would guess that most people have an outlet available somewhere at work.

I'm the opposite, though, I would rather carry around a battery pack that I might not need than have a phone be twice as thick because I stuck an aftermarket oversized battery in it. And I agree that the real answer is to just put larger internal batteries in phones, but that's not likely to happen across the board anytime soon.

crazy_vag

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I guess what I'm saying is, how much of a hassle is it really to plug your phone in at work? Takes me maybe 10 seconds. Or do you not have any available outlets anywhere? I know not all workplace environments are the same, but I would guess that most people have an outlet available somewhere at work.

I'm the opposite, though, I would rather carry around a battery pack that I might not need than have a phone be twice as thick because I stuck an aftermarket oversized battery in it. And I agree that the real answer is to just put larger internal batteries in phones, but that's not likely to happen across the board anytime soon.

That's possible, but not always. About once in a few weeks, I just don't get a chance to do that. I also believe that I shouldn't need to charge a phone during the day to make it last a full day.

One more scenario that's worse is on weekends. When I have visitors in town, I might be out and about all day without access to power. We'll be using maps, yelp and camera heavily and uploading photos to fb. When dinner time comes and you need the phone to meet up with friends afterwards for drinks, you need a phone that lasts all day without charging.

I do see you point about liking the chargers and having a smaller phone most of the time. And can see how many people prefer that model than a fatter phone all the time (like me). However, consider this comparison in thickness of DROID RAZR HD vs DROID RAZR MAXX HD is just .9mm to get an additional 800mAh. Pretty much 100mAh / .1mm. Plus larger battery requires less charge cycles and so will last longer. Would you trade and extra 1mm for 50% more battery life?

- - - Updated - - -

That's possible, but not always. About once in a few weeks, I just don't get a chance to do that. I also believe that I shouldn't need to charge a phone during the day to make it last a full day.

One more scenario that's worse is on weekends. When I have visitors in town, I might be out and about all day without access to power. We'll be using maps, yelp and camera heavily and uploading photos to fb. When dinner time comes and you need the phone to meet up with friends afterwards for drinks, you need a phone that lasts all day without charging.

I do see you point about liking the chargers and having a smaller phone most of the time. And can see how many people prefer that model than a fatter phone all the time (like me). However, consider this comparison in thickness of DROID RAZR HD vs DROID RAZR MAXX HD is just .9mm to get an additional 800mAh. Pretty much 100mAh / .1mm. Plus larger battery requires less charge cycles and so will last longer. Would you trade an extra 1mm for 50% more battery life?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I do see you point about liking the chargers and having a smaller phone most of the time. And can see how many people prefer that model than a fatter phone all the time (like me). However, consider this comparison in thickness of DROID RAZR HD vs DROID RAZR MAXX HD is just .9mm to get an additional 800mAh. Pretty much 100mAh / .1mm. Plus larger battery requires less charge cycles and so will last longer. Would you trade and extra 1mm for 50% more battery life?

- - - Updated - - -

I do see you point about liking the chargers and having a smaller phone most of the time. And can see how many people prefer that model than a fatter phone all the time (like me). However, consider this comparison in thickness of DROID RAZR HD vs DROID RAZR MAXX HD is just .9mm to get an additional 800mAh. Pretty much 100mAh / .1mm. Plus larger battery requires less charge cycles and so will last longer. Would you trade an extra 1mm for 50% more battery life?

Yes I would, and I did say that in my last post. But your comparison isn't the typical (and it's limited to Verizon). How much thicker is the S3 with an extended battery?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Your phone is useless if it can't idle for long enough.

On screen time for the DNA is better than every phone I've ever used, save for the iPhone 4 I had. I can easily manage 4 hours of screen time and make it an entire day on a charge.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Your phone is useless if it can't idle for long enough.

On screen time for the DNA is better than every phone I've ever used, save for the iPhone 4 I had. I can easily manage 4 hours of screen time and make it an entire day on a charge.

Every modern phone is relatively good at idling for longer periods of time.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I love how once again people base their opinion on battery spec, and not on the actual battery life. "2300mAh just doesn't cut these days".... Doesn't cut what?
My DNA has better battery life than GS3 ever had, yet the battery is actually lower capacity.
Silly thread.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Every modern phone is relatively good at idling for longer periods of time.

You'd think so, but they're not. My DNA outlasts the S3 I had by quite a while.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I love how once again people base their opinion on battery spec, and not on the actual battery life. "2300mAh just doesn't cut these days".... Doesn't cut what?
My DNA has better battery life than GS3 ever had, yet the battery is actually lower capacity.
Silly thread.

Exactly same with the iPhone 5 it has one of the smallest battery capacities and has awesome battery life well with my use anyways LOL.

Sent from the collector home world.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I find this thread quite entertaining. This time last year the standard battery size for a high end smartphone was less than 2000mAh. Along with the fact that battery size in itself doesn't guarantee good battery life I would argue that 2300mAh is actually a pretty big damn battery when compared to what's on the market right now aside from the Note II which is also an enormous phone and the RAZR Maxx which used a ginormous battery as its primary selling point.