Will the One be Forgotten About After the S4 & Xphone Launch?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So I assume you mean the One X since the S4 is about to launch in less then a month. Both the One X and S3 came out last year around the same time and they were pretty much similar. I don't know what you mean by "inferior processing power" they both had similar international versions with quad-core chips and although the US version of the S3 was dual-core it had a faster clock speed and had an additional 1GB of RAM. I not aware of any review of the US version noticing a speed difference between it and the International version.

The One X had a slightly better screen and build quality but the S3 was slightly lighter, thinner and had a bigger screen. But Samsung ultimately brought more wow to their phone. They did a lot of work on the software side bringing a suite of "smart features" like S Voice, S Beam, Direct Call and many more. That coupled with riding the huge success of the S2 is why Samsung did better. Again the things that S3 excelled in were more important to the casual person; thinner, lighter, bigger screen and smart features.

I don't bring these things up because I'm rooting for Samsung, I bring them up because I like competition, it's good for the industry and the consumers. It's important for companies like HTC to be more successful and raise the game for everyone else. HTC may have lacked marketing in the last round but it wasn't their only reason for failure against the competition. And people who are rooting for HTC should take a more critical look as to what they did wrong and what they are lacking.

Yes, true however I might mention that the reason people purchased the S3 in droves was not because of the higher clock speeds. In other words, looking at the larger market, you can't say that specs alone account for success. If that was the case, as Ry pointed out, then Apple iPhone would not have outsold the S3. Because spec wise, the S3 is superior to the iPhone. That is where marketing comes to bear.

The issue is not the design of the One necessarily, or it's hardware. I've already read a few rave reviews of the HTC One. The issue is how well HTC can market it that will lead to its wide success.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, true however I might mention that the reason people purchased the S3 in droves was not because of the higher clock speeds. In other words, looking at the larger market, you can't say that specs alone account for success.

Its like you completely skipped the second paragraph of my post:

The One X had a slightly better screen and build quality but the S3 was slightly lighter, thinner and had a bigger screen. But Samsung ultimately brought more wow to their phone. They did a lot of work on the software side bringing a suite of "smart features" like S Voice, S Beam, Direct Call and many more. That coupled with riding the huge success of the S2 is why Samsung did better. Again the things that S3 excelled in were more important to the casual person; thinner, lighter, bigger screen and smart features.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
S3 did better because of marketing, that's it. The EVO LTE was largely the same phone with a better screen and without a removable battery. Touchwiz vs Sense was far and away the biggest difference between the two handsets. It's hard to credit Touchwiz with the success, with its confusing, disorganized look and inconsistent design language. All of Samsung's extra "features" were gimmicks, designed solely to tick more boxes against the iPhone. S-Voice is proof-positive of this. The average consumer did not or care about .1" of screen real estate, or a removable battery. What the hardcore Android crowd cares about (differs from person to person btw) has no effect on how the public perceives them. With the well-deserved success of the S2 to ride on and an incredible marketing presence, Samsung captured tremendous mindshare and huge sales. The S4 will do better than HTC again, there's almost no question, despite most likely again having a worse screen and the same chipset. A huge marketing force will convince people of the legitimacy of "features" they didn't know they needed until Samsung told them to. The question is can HTC make itself more relevant and begin to take back some of the mindshare it once had with the OG Evo.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
S3 did better because of marketing, that's it. The EVO LTE was largely the same phone with a better screen and without a removable battery. Touchwiz vs Sense was far and away the biggest difference between the two handsets. It's hard to credit Touchwiz with the success, with its confusing, disorganized look and inconsistent design language. All of Samsung's extra "features" were gimmicks, designed solely to tick more boxes against the iPhone. S-Voice is proof-positive of this. The average consumer did not or care about .1" of screen real estate, or a removable battery. What the hardcore Android crowd cares about (differs from person to person btw) has no effect on how the public perceives them. With the well-deserved success of the S2 to ride on and an incredible marketing presence, Samsung captured tremendous mindshare and huge sales. The S4 will do better than HTC again, there's almost no question, despite most likely again having a worse screen and the same chipset. A huge marketing force will convince people of the legitimacy of "features" they didn't know they needed until Samsung told them to. The question is can HTC make itself more relevant and begin to take back some of the mindshare it once had with the OG Evo.

Agreed.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

payturr

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
In my honest opinion, the One won't be forgotten.

I believe in this because really, the One will be as fast as the S4 given that the S4 is supposed to use the same CPU (Snapdragon 600), at a slightly higher clockspeed, putting the two really on the same playing field, just a slight disadvantage for the One. The One will also, most definitely, have the better build quality, has Samsung will most definitely stick with plastic for the GS4 because it's a Korean related tradition. It will also have the better camera because, historically, HTC's cameras have outperformed Samsung's. It'll also have the memorable SLCD3 display where the S4 will use an HD Super AMOLED display, that'll have oversaturated colors like what we've seen in the past, plus poor viewing angles due to the use of PenTile Matrix tech.

You also have to consider the One is unlike every HTC phone before - it's being released on almost every carrier with no differences. It's not like how HTC handled launching the One X, One X+, One VX, One V, One S, so on and so forth. This should also help greatly with HTC update system, so we should see updates like 4.2 and Key Lime Pie arrive a lot faster than updates for other handsets that the company had provided in the past.

I have a lot of faith in the One, and it's gonna be amazing contender against the GS4... As for Motorola X Phone, we'll just have to wait and see. After the launch of the X Phone though, it won't be forgotten in my opinion. We all remembered the RAZR line from Motorola after the Nexus 4, didn't we? Have hope my friends - the One is unlike everything else we've seen from HTC in the past.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind Android Central's 2012 Editor's Choice for best phone was the S3, the One X didn't even make it as a runner up, the Nexus 4 did. So unless you think Android Central was persuaded by Samsungs marketing you have to conceded that it has to do with more then just marketing. And just to add when you make a phone that is regarded as one of the best by experts, you get a lot of free marketing.

Android Central's 2012 Editor's Choice awards | Android Central

I think HTC can do better and I hope they do. It's just the beginning of 2013 and they have a lot more phones to wow us with.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind Android Central's 2012 Editor's Choice for best phone was the S3, the One X didn't even make it as a runner up, the Nexus 4 did. So unless you think Android Central was persuaded by Samsungs marketing you have to conceded that it has to do with more then just marketing. And just to add when you make a phone that is regarded as one of the best by experts, you get a lot of free marketing.

Android Central's 2012 Editor's Choice awards | Android Central

And the One X was Engadget's favorite handset of 2012; Engadget has a much, much larger readership than AC. To deny that the phones were largely the same handset, separated mostly by Sense and Touchwiz is foolish. And reading the actual text of AC's award reveals that the Nexus 4 missed the spot due to lack of hardware ability. They even say that the SIII was eclipsed in hardware. It's at the top of their list due to worldwide availability and popularity, as well as being quick to receive its JB update. Different sources weigh different factors differently.

Regardless, you're missing the point. Average consumers to which propelled the phone into success don't visit Android Central. It was all advertising which got its name out to the masses. Samsung established themselves as the defacto Android alternative to the iPhone with massive marketing.

Sorry but the EVO 3D (which was the ultimate gimmick) doomed that brand in.

I was just using it as a placeholder for HTC's flagships.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but the EVO 3D (which was the ultimate gimmick) doomed that brand in.

The phone itself is good (I still have it) the problem is other than the 3D (which was definitely a gimmick) there was nothing special about it. There were already better phones available.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You act like the general public gives a rats ass about a Nexus phone or pure Android...I got news for you...that won't do jack.

It hasn't hurt LG any.
Their Optimus G (offshoot of the Nexus) had been selling quite well.

It's not so much about the public, it's a good idea because it would allow HTC to work more closely with Google again which is a benefit in many ways like getting up to speed with the newest versions of Android.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It hasn't hurt LG any.
Their Optimus G (offshoot of the Nexus) had been selling quite well.

It's not so much about the public, it's a good idea because it would allow HTC to work more closely with Google again which is a benefit in many ways like getting up to speed with the newest versions of Android.

He's right about "Nexus" not mattering much to consumers. But I think we could all agree that providing timely updates would be in HTC's best interest. I was jelly of jellybean on the SIII so quickly. Luckily the EVO got it somewhat soon after. The ATT One X (the HTC flagship in the US) was less fortunate.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
HTC needs to do everything it can to get the word out about the One and I mean everything. Samsung and Apple have been doing it and look where it got them, if HTC doesn't do the same the One will fall into obscurity as soon as it's released.

Right! The troubling thing is I haven't seen any advertisements yet. I know they have a plan though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital