I've used the HTC One. You've got questions. Let's do this.

bduran727

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I know this has already somewhat been answered, but can you completely delete the home screen with BlinkFeed on it if you wish? Or can you just not have it as the default and it will always be there?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
OK, I'm very interested to hear your opinion on this. Does the 1080p screen look noticeably better than the 720p packed in the One X, One X+, or EVO lte? When all phones run flawlessly with a vanilla ROM, the only thing that matters to me is the display I'm staring at all day.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
From what I remember (not quite 100% sure) the limit is seven, including the BlinkFeed screen. Like Sense 4.x you can control which screen is the default screen, and add/remove. By default there's the BlinkFeed screen and one standard home screen.

Does this mean you can remove the BlinkFeed screen?

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
How does the metal feel like? Is the black one rubber coated while the silver one is raw? Any current or past phones you can compare the metal feel to? Like the HTC Inspire or Amaze, which are heavily metal.

MaxiP

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Really liking the look of this but would like the 64Gb version (inconsistent Google Play streaming where I live in UK). Any idea if we'll get the larger model and if so, when ?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

If you don't want to see the BlinkFeed view, you swipe over one screen. That's it. When you put the phone into standby and wake it again, it remembers that you were on the "normal" home screen. It's in our hands-on videos.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
"Yep. The most interesting one for me was the flip case that doubles up as a stand. The rest are pretty run of the mill (not necessarily bad, though)"

Alex/Phil - I saw a pic of the flip case you mentioned. I saw it in the standing vertical position, but do you know if it also does it horizontally?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
OK, I'm very interested to hear your opinion on this. Does the 1080p screen look noticeably better than the 720p packed in the One X, One X+, or EVO lte? When all phones run flawlessly with a vanilla ROM, the only thing that matters to me is the display I'm staring at all day.

I'm still on the fence about that, honestly. I think it being LCD makes a bigger difference than anything. Does 1080p look better than 720? Sure. But not grossly so, imho.

ryzilla23

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
How jarring is the use of only 2 buttons, the home and the back buttons?

Does the lack of a menu/recent apps button make the phone feel awkward?

Does the placement of the buttons make it difficult? Seems odd that the "HTC" is centered and does absolutely nothing.

alxrock

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that on HTC's website, they mention "NFC availability depends on the mobile operator and your location. Please check with your mobile operator". Did you notice if the One that you had hands on time with have NFC?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
How jarring is the use of only 2 buttons, the home and the back buttons?

Does the lack of a menu/recent apps button make the phone feel awkward?

Does the placement of the buttons make it difficult? Seems odd that the "HTC" is centered and does absolutely nothing.

Gonna need more time with it to really answer that, but I'll reiterate that *any* smartphone has a little break-in time. Well, except for the iPhone, I guess. :p

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that on HTC's website, they mention "NFC availability depends on the mobile operator and your location. Please check with your mobile operator". Did you notice if the One that you had hands on time with have NFC?

Odd. Was my understanding that they'd all have it. Wouldn't worry too much about that, honestly.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How's the general speed of Sense 5.0 and is it lighter than version 4.1 on the HTC One X/EVO LTE? Similarly do you know if it still handles multi-tasking like Sense 4.1 or has that issue been addressed?
Phone is very fast. I was particularly impressed by the responsiveness of the stock keyboard. No idea about any mutli-tasking changes, but it has 2GB of RAM so that should be plenty.
Does Sense 5 allow for accessing system settings on the notification curtain itself as with Touchwiz?
Yep
How does it feel in the hand and do you think it will need a case for grip purposes?
I don't think so. It's less grippy than the DNA, but I never felt like I was going to drop it. (The shape also helps with this.)
What most impresses you guys the most about this phone in general so far?

Thanks.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
Definitely the build quality. Nothing beats a metal phone, and HTC makes some of the best metal phones out there.

How good is the camera?
It's good. We've seen side-by-side shots with the One X, and the HTC One is much better in low light. I'm not worrying too much about the 4MP thing, but OTOH I'm really curious to pit it against an Xperia Z with its 13MP Exmor RS dealie.

DDr3 or 2 ?
Some spec sheets say its ddr3 but according to Qualcomm the 600 uses ddr3 RAM

Thank you !
HTC spec sheet says DDR2. Apparently the HTC spec sheet is wrong and it's DDR3. Not that you should lose any sleep over that kind of thing :)

How is the feel of the phone in the hand? Comfortable? Too big? Awkward?

Sent from my Sammy S3
Feels great in the hand. The only awkwardness comes from the button placement, but that's me coming from using predominantly Nexuses for the past six months.

Any changes or notes about the Notifacations pull down? Are there quick settings controls on it?
Notification pulldown is more or less identical to Sense 4+. Power saver thing is there, and you can't turn it off. No quick settings, but the Settings app shortcut is there.

Does it have a led for notifications? Didn't see one...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Yep.

Great looking phone. Really looks like the next EVO. But I have to be the first to ask........wait for it..........When is it getting Key Lime Pie? :+}:-*
One step at a time -- let's see when we get 4.2. I think if you buy an HTC One, you're not buying it for Android software updates, you're buying it because of the great build quality, the crazy screen, the UI, the camera, the Zoe stuff and all the unique HTC features. (I think if you pick one up and then get rid of all that stuff by flashing CM or whatever, you're kinda doing it wrong.)

Alex, which is better, the Sony Xperia Z or the HTC One in your opinion?
Ask me again when I've used final, production hardware and software for both :). All I've seen of the Z and the HTC One so far have been prototypes.
I know this has already somewhat been answered, but can you completely delete the home screen with BlinkFeed on it if you wish? Or can you just not have it as the default and it will always be there?
Don't think there's any way to completely kill it while keeping the standard Sense launcher (again, not 100% sure)... But a third-party launcher will hide all that stuff.

There's a difference, but not a huge one. It's not like the jump up to 720, where going back to WVGA or lower suddenly made everything look like crap. (There's probably something in the argument that 468ppi on a phone is wasted on most people.)

How does the metal feel like? Is the black one rubber coated while the silver one is raw? Any current or past phones you can compare the metal feel to? Like the HTC Inspire or Amaze, which are heavily metal.
Both have the same matte finish. Both feel like brushed aluminium. If you've used any HTC phone with non-painted aluminium, that's what it feels like.

Really liking the look of this but would like the 64Gb version (inconsistent Google Play streaming where I live in UK). Any idea if we'll get the larger model and if so, when ?
64GB version is Asia-only for the moment. You'll be able to import one, but you'll pay more, and you'll need to double-check 3G/4G freqs to make sure it works on UK bands.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Previous HTC phones have been plagued with reception problems and dropped calls due to their antenna being placed in the back cover. Has this problem been addressed?

Their screens have also been prone to allow dust to creep under them. Do you have a sense that the new screen design will prevent this problem in the future?

There have also been a myriad of other hardware quality issues such as power button failure that have plagued previous HTC phones. Did you see anything in the presentation that indicated HTC is addressing their quality problems? In the past they have acknowledged the issues I've mentioned, but they've never addressed them in new phones that they've released.

Thank you.

Peter McCain

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
will the HTC logo be there in final production? or would that be replaced with carrier logo?
i heard 4.2 is coming...was any date or anything said?

and one more thing i never like how the front cameras are located on HTC phones, they are always collecting dust and dirt. is the front camera the same on this phone?

gizak

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Speakers - how amazing are they? Loudness good enough to hear in the shower?
IR Blaster - any chance there will be 3rd party apps to open it up for more universal use? I assume it can't "learn"...
Screen Brightness - what is the max brightness on the screen compared to what you tested? Curious on it's readability in direct sunlight
Camera - will it suddenly make sexy girls appear and perform provocative poses when I whip out my HTC ONE and yell out, "TIME FOR A ZOEY!" ?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000