Not interested

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Pentile sucks but I don't get the CPU bit? why do people even want 8 cores in there phones?

It's not even truly 8 cores working at once, it's two 4 core processors that it switches between... I have no idea why they did it that way, maybe more marketing then practicality "Samsung releasing the first 8 core phone"

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It's not even truly 8 cores working at once, it's two 4 core processors that it switches between... I have no idea why they did it that way, maybe more marketing then practicality "Samsung releasing the first 8 core phone"

They did it to reduce battery consumption(Havin 8 cores running would destroy battery) but I still don't see why we need this much power in the phone.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
They did it to reduce battery consumption(Havin 8 cores running would destroy battery) but I still don't see why we need this much power in the phone.

Will have to see if it makes a real difference when the full reviews start rolling out, not interested in the S4 mainly because of build quality and material but it would be interesting to see if the big little setup actually makes a big difference.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The pics are in different resolutions... the person who did it is trying to match them in the correct ratio.

That would fly at techbuff but not even a elementary science teacher would accept these. The only way is to match the settings up, then the pov, and the time of day. None of these basic principles were followed. They did get it out there first lol. No one can take these without a truckload of salt. Fact is, maybe the ultra pixel does smoke sammys 13mp shooter? We just need reliable unbiased sources first to do it right, not attempt to match anything through any software, not even once.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
According to the ARM site here: big.LITTLE Processing - ARM

It can get savings up to 70% but I think that is highly doubtful. That number probably relies on heavy use of the little core's with the rare powering up of the big cores. Also, I thought the heaviest uses of power on the phone were the cell radios, wifi and the screen in most cases?

Exactly.
And besides ARM wants to make their new tech look good of course they will throw in a high number. just beware it's probably not true.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I can almost hear the chanting from hordes of zombie Imhotep followers,

Remuvible battery!
T3h sd kard!
8 core!
Lulz uR fone haz 4 megapixulz!

Yea, it's going to be damn annoying. The one owners will have the last laugh when the s4 owners accidentally drop their phone and watch it explode into several pieces.

I'm looking forward to seeing what custom roms will be made for the device to remove features like blinkfeed ( admittedly I don't mind the idea of it but I doubt id use it much) and sense. If we could get a very close to stock android 4.2 rom on it with modifications made to accommodate the two front buttons and the like I think it will be perfect.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Batterylife will probably be almost the same in the US. The S4 will have 300 extra mah, but its the same processor clocked faster and a larger screen.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed something interesting with the benchmark scores for the S4. According to the quadrant benchmarks that have been run on it they appear to come out at roughly 12500 while the One comes out at roughly 12400. Keep in mind that this is on the S600 at 1.9 ghz compared to the s600 in the One at 1.7 ghz. I thought that it was a bit odd of them to only have a tiny jump in benchmark scores with a 200 Mhz boost in speed so I took a close look at the quadrant scores and while the blue section of the graph (indicating CPU power ) is slightly larger on the S4 every other section especially IO is larger on the One.

I think while technically the S4 has a faster processor ( Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung upped the clock on them to just barely edge out the One) The One will be less bottle necked because it has faster IO.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So now we get to enjoy the Samsung fanboy assault of " My phone has 8 cores! it's better then the one!"

No one will hear them over the HTC voices. So you don't have to worry. It's tough to be louder and more pathetic, illogical, obsessive than the HTC crowd. In fact I'm learning it's impossible at the moment.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
No one will hear them over the HTC voices. So you don't have to worry. It's tough to be louder and more pathetic, illogical, obsessive than the HTC crowd. In fact I'm learning it's impossible at the moment.

Now that was unnecessary. There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED for comments like that. Fanboys will be fanboys, just let it happen.

This is the United States of America, and every individual is entitled to their opinions. But you don't have to be so rude.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

This is how you keep it civil. No one was called out, and nothing here is personal. Great job.

Last edited:

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

There are going to be illogical, annoying and pathetic individuals that are fans of any product out there. If someone hopped into a thread that I was trying to have a discussion on and started blurting out idiotic things like " HTC ONE IS BETTER BECAUSE **** ALL OTHER PHONES SUCK!" I would boo them out of there just as much as the next guy. I'm not biased against Samsung or HTC. I've never actually owned either of their products even though I have worked with them from time to time through my customer. What I have a problem with is when people are trying to actively discuss the advantages and disadvantages between different phones/processors/carriers and the minority that are genuinely interested in real specifications, experience and information are drowned out by the crowd of people screaming at each other about their personal preferences.

Personal preference are personal preference and specifications are specifications.
Since the S4 was announced I've had difficulty finding information on the One that isn't directly compared to the S4 and the vast majority of comments on those articles and forums are Samsung fanboys waving their dicks around while bashing the One.

It seems that civil conversations are difficult to have.

Oh, and the comment I made about Samsung fans pulling the 8 core over 4 core argument is already happening.... people love to argue.